Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Non-cotton school uniform gripe

Non-cotton school uniform gripe

Old Mar 22nd 2009, 12:28 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Non-cotton school uniform gripe

Originally Posted by daddyofthree
My daughters will be wearing very secure shorts and fastened very securely - or is this just the typical father wish?
With padlock ? Yes, I am a Dad with a daughter too.

Old Mar 22nd 2009, 12:32 am
ABCDiamond

Steve O,
Based on your usual responses on BE you appear to be quite level headed and I believe quite accurate with your reasoning. What's your honest opinion about someone moving over to Aus in today's climate, the average person with a family?
My comment on that would be regarding employment first.

If you currently have a secure job, I would suggest not gambling a move at the moment.

If you have a guaranteed job to move to in Australia, then it may be worth considering.

With unemployment increasing in Australia, your first priority has to be around the financial side of things.

Old Mar 22nd 2009, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

Well done Homewardbound I hope my wife thinks on the same level. Can I ask are you literally homewardbound back to the UK or to the Aus and why?
I have already bound home... i grew up in au, was in uk for 14 years and finally returned 'home' to australia last year with 2 children. I came back because i really wanted my children to grow up here, I missed australia for 14 years and desperately wanted to be here... been here 9 months now and my only regret is not coming sooner... but my situation is different to yours.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 5:38 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
i`m staggered at your feeling of self importance, it must be so lonely up there loking down on us mere mortals

O and you missed the bleeding obvious, with only a minority of kids in the class its pointless teaching the cirriculum as they would have to go over it all again in the first week back, so the kids do "special assignments" which are nothing other than lets keep em busy projects

regards steve
south qld
in the real world
I'm a bit lost by the aggresion in your post. You said kids not coming to school for the last couple of weeks of the year/term bothered you and I wondered why it would bother you- you could either leave them in school or take them out for the week- either way I think it's a win-win. I guess if it was the majority of kids taken out so the teachers then repeated the lessons, then that would be annoying as it makes leaving them in school for that week or two only worth it if it's a childcare neccessity.

If you took offence to the tone of my post I apologise, but I certainly didn't intend to offend

BB
NSW
In the real world

Last edited by bourbon-biscuit; Mar 22nd 2009 at 5:42 am.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 6:53 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
I'm a bit lost by the aggresion in your post. You said kids not coming to school for the last couple of weeks of the year/term bothered you and I wondered why it would bother you- you could either leave them in school or take them out for the week- either way I think it's a win-win. I guess if it was the majority of kids taken out so the teachers then repeated the lessons, then that would be annoying as it makes leaving them in school for that week or two only worth it if it's a childcare neccessity.

If you took offence to the tone of my post I apologise, but I certainly didn't intend to offend

BB
NSW
In the real world

hardly aggressive,
more sarcasm with a hint off piss take and just a pinch of humour

do we get to kiss and make up now ??

either way enjoy whats left of your weekend

regards steve
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 7:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

but its so true
debra my wife was P&C secretary at our daughters school untill work comminmenst meant she couldnt get to meetings,
i attended the monthly P&C meets in order to support the parenst that could be bothered which was about 18 parents that attended regularly of which 12 were on the committee and thats in a school of approx 3000 students,

sorry but a vast amount of parents dont seem to give a damn and whilst on my soapbox
what with the not sending kids to school for the last week of term all about ?? thats another only in au thing i`ve come across
No, in my experience as a teacher in the UK you are wrong. It is very common in the UK for parents to book holidays in school term time especially over Christmas and the start of the summer. They are not supposed to do it, but I think by law are allowed a max of 2 weeks term time absence or they get put down as truants and the education office are notified. In my area it was mainly the affluent parents who thought that rules didn't apply to them unless it was to their advantage, rather than the poorer ones who would not be able to afford a holiday at the extortionate summer holiday rates. You know, the chealsea-tractor drivers who park on the zebra crossings and abuse the lollipop lady because they can't walk more than 10 feet in their Manolos and certainly don't want to be seen hanging around with the hoi-polloi.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 7:12 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
No, in my experience as a teacher in the UK you are wrong. It is very common in the UK for parents to book holidays in school term time especially over Christmas and the start of the summer. They are not supposed to do it, but I think by law are allowed a max of 2 weeks term time absence or they get put down as truants and the education office are notified. In my area it was mainly the affluent parents who thought that rules didn't apply to them unless it was to their advantage, rather than the poorer ones who would not be able to afford a holiday at the extortionate summer holiday rates. You know, the chealsea-tractor drivers who park on the zebra crossings and abuse the lollipop lady because they can't walk more than 10 feet in their Manolos and certainly don't want to be seen hanging around with the hoi-polloi.
o their not away on holiday, they are at home or wander in to school at lunch time for a chat, the parents dont send them as they just carnt see the need or point to send the kids in at the end of term as "they dont do anything"
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

sheeeet- sounds like the parents need educating then!
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 7:40 am
Worongary

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
sheeeet- sounds like the parents need educating then!
thats what i mean by the "she`ll be right mate" attitude

when on site i convert it to english as "fluckit it`ll do" attitude
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

imanaussie is an unknown quantity at this point

thats what i mean by the "she`ll be right mate" attitude

when on site i convert it to english as "fluckit it`ll do" attitude
This 'lets not go to school for the last week of term' is purely a Qld thing. Our kids have attended school in Tas and NSW and NEVER have we had this problem in those states. I thought my kids were trying to pull a swifty when they told me that nobody went to school for the last few days of term!!.....but no, its a real culture thing here in SE QLd, but NOT a typical Aussie 'She'll be right mate' thing, its a Qld thing, and certainly never practised in Tas or NSW, dont know about other states though. Not real fair to say its a whole of Australia attitude as its not. Cheers
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 9:38 am
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all

Playing Devil's advocate I would partly agree with the Aussie philosophy. In the UK it's far too serious. Schools have now adopted the stupid idea of moving up a year early, ie the year 6's start year 7 in June / July. Wont go into the for and against reasons but too me sums up why us Brits want to go to Aus in the first place ie its more relaxing. Let us not try to change things in Aus like they are over here otherwise we might as well all stay over here!!

It's a little strange because in the past 12 months I have met quite a few Aussies over here on work permits. When I ask them what they do / don't like here, they are always positive and wont critisize the country.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

homewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud ofhomewardbound has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by imanaussie
This 'lets not go to school for the last week of term' is purely a Qld thing. Our kids have attended school in Tas and NSW and NEVER have we had this problem in those states. I thought my kids were trying to pull a swifty when they told me that nobody went to school for the last few days of term!!.....but no, its a real culture thing here in SE QLd, but NOT a typical Aussie 'She'll be right mate' thing, its a Qld thing, and certainly never practised in Tas or NSW, dont know about other states though. Not real fair to say its a whole of Australia attitude as its not. Cheers
Not strictly true... My cousin teaches in campbeltown near sydney and she says last end of term there were 2 kids in her class turn up in that week... she said end of terms are always the same at her school... it is parents to blame for not making kids go and schools for not enforcing.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 12:18 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by imanaussie
its a Qld thing, and certainly never practised in Tas or NSW, dont know about other states though. Not real fair to say its a whole of Australia attitude as its not. Cheers
And not all schools in QLD either

My daughter has been to 3 QLD schools in 6 years, and we have never even heard of it.

Old Mar 22nd 2009, 12:59 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Each year my girls say they don't have to go for the last week before christmas and I say oh well, you'll have the place to yourselves then Strangely enough, being as I work there, I see most of grades 8 and 9 still there, with the exception of the last two days. It's not a QLD thing or even a SEQLD thing, it's an individual school thing as I do remember the same issue happening at the secondary school in the UK as well though. Last few days, less and less kids left on campus.
Old Mar 22nd 2009, 1:35 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kitty4
- it's vile to work in at the best of times but in this climate I just don't get it :curse:
I do, poly is cheap and takes no effort to maintain. just what the Australians like best. (poor quality and no effort needed)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.