Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Noise at night etc

Noise at night etc

Old Jan 26th 2010, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

Si T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to all
Default Noise at night etc

Hello this is Si T,s wife. Where I live at the moment is a very quiet area
at night both weekdays and weekends (much due to cold weather) what
I would like to ask is what are the general noise levels at night. Do you find
that people are more inclined to stay in their gardens having bbqs drinks partys until the early hours or is it more a case of its just like other parts of the world where you have people who do and people who dont. I'm not someone who goes to sleep at 8 in the evening and expects silence but neither do i want to be awake till 2 in the morning every night. I dont want to come across as someone who constantly complains about noise but I am an extremely light sleeper that has got used to living somewhere which is very peaceful.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 6:00 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: Noise at night etc

Originally Posted by Si T
that people are more inclined to stay in their gardens having bbqs drinks partys until the early hours or is it more a case of its just like other parts of the world where you have people who do and people who dont. I'm not someone who goes to sleep at 8 in the evening and expects silence but neither do i want to be awake till 2 in the morning every night. I dont want to come across as someone who constantly complains about noise but I am an extremely light sleeper that has got used to living somewhere which is very peaceful.
Don't worry, it's deathly quiet
Old Jan 26th 2010, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

Si T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to allSi T is a name known to all

please can you tell me where you live so i can move close by lol
Old Jan 26th 2010, 6:03 pm
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

please can you tell me where you live so i can move close by lol
I moved back to UK as OZ was too quiet hahaha.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 7:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

That really is one of those "how long is a piece of string" questions!

Central Sydney is going to be quite different from rural Delegate. The cities have city noises, the country has country noises. Parties and loud arguments and hoons in cars - sure, most cities do. In the country you get possums walking across the roof, koels all damned night long (birds very persistent and loud call, if you happen to have them migrating down your way) and the damned cockatoos which wake you up at sparrow's f*rt.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by quoll
That really is one of those "how long is a piece of string" questions!

Central Sydney is going to be quite different from rural Delegate. The cities have city noises, the country has country noises. Parties and loud arguments and hoons in cars - sure, most cities do. In the country you get possums walking across the roof, koels all damned night long (birds very persistent and loud call, if you happen to have them migrating down your way) and the damned cockatoos which wake you up at sparrow's f*rt.
Thanks for the response. My wife appreciates the ambiguity of the question but was hoping to gauge the reaction of people over different areas of the country to try and get a feel for the general consensus.

We, as a family, are trying to weigh up a great deal of issues which are important to us and this is one of those issues especially for Mrs T. While the main priorities for me are the opportunities in the accounting profession and the possibilities for me to continue junior football coaching with my son there are many other facets to the move which are as important.

We are far from expecting a utopian life if and when we are able to make the move but neither do we want to look back at sixty and think "what if". While we currently live in a quiet street it is far from in a desirable part of town so a birdcall at dawn is probably better than helicopters chasing joyriders at 3am. Its all relative and the sleep part is because my wife is a very light sleeper who seems to have it in her head that because the weather lends itself to people having more opportunity to spend late nights drinking in the garden then they automatocally will do so.

I hope this gives a bit more clarity to why the question was asked.

By the way, for anyone who wishes to use this thread to troll as there seems to be a few on here lately or generally turn it into an "Australia is crap because.../not perfect because... etc" thread please do not waste yours and my time as you will be ignored.

Regards

Si
Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

We have found you get much more neighbour noise. If people are living outside more, you are going to hear them more.

The delights of your neighbours kids in the pool at 6am or 10 pm, or just screaming constantly, the smell of the neighbours bbq every night, neighbours sitting outside V late on the deck talking and smoking when you have a early shift, and if on acerage, tennis courts and ride on mowers or kids on motor bikes. In general too, you hear neighbours more, their windows are open, so are yours, frankly its a pain. Dogs usually live outside in OZ too.

Some neighbours will be considerate, many will have no consideration at all. We currently only have one close neighbour, shes 10 metres away, acerage too, but holy hell when the bogon relatives arrive they might as well be in your bedroom
Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:37 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

We must have lucked out with a good neighborhood. We've been here for almost 3 years and I there's probably only a few times a year when someone has a party around us that's close enough to hear. Even then it's not too loud and doesn't go on for ages either so we don't mind.

The rest of the time I hardly know they're there other than hearing the occasional lawn mower. Luck of the draw I guess!

I should mention that it probably helps that we have ducted air con. All of our windows are shut so that helps to reduce any noise that might be going on outside.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Bear in mind, too, that houses are less well insulated here so whatever environmental noise you get is going to be much more obvious. And believe me, a million cockies at 5am is worse than a jumbo trying to land in your back yard LOL

I hadnt thought of helicopters - we get them too, not in my neck of the woods (we get the local firing range sounds) but down in some of the expensive suburbs which happen to be close to the hospital for the care flight chopper - you should hear the complaints but you can bet your boots they would be first in line if they got smashed up in a skiing accident.

I mentioned arguments - we live in a "good" neighbourhood but regularly hear marital spats with associated 4 letter words, again, probably because the houses arent soundproof either for sound going in or coming out!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 9:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond reputeThe Crow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by comet555
We must have lucked out with a good neighborhood. We've been here for almost 3 years and I there's probably only a few times a year when someone has a party around us that's close enough to hear. Even then it's not too loud and doesn't go on for ages either so we don't mind.

The rest of the time I hardly know they're there other than hearing the occasional lawn mower. Luck of the draw I guess!

I should mention that it probably helps that we have ducted air con. All of our windows are shut so that helps to reduce any noise that might be going on outside.
Same for us
Old Jan 26th 2010, 9:28 pm
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

See inline in red

Thanks for the response. My wife appreciates the ambiguity of the question but was hoping to gauge the reaction of people over different areas of the country to try and get a feel for the general consensus.

We, as a family, are trying to weigh up a great deal of issues which are important to us and this is one of those issues especially for Mrs T. While the main priorities for me are the opportunities in the accounting profession and the possibilities for me to continue junior football coaching with my son there are many other facets to the move which are as important.

I live on the northern beaches in Sydney and lots of soccer coaching going on here and big into grass roots training for 6 - 8 yr olds. Accountants are always needed in most places!!

We are far from expecting a utopian life if and when we are able to make the move but neither do we want to look back at sixty and think "what if". While we currently live in a quiet street it is far from in a desirable part of town so a birdcall at dawn is probably better than helicopters chasing joyriders at 3am. Its all relative and the sleep part is because my wife is a very light sleeper who seems to have it in her head that because the weather lends itself to people having more opportunity to spend late nights drinking in the garden then they automatocally will do so.

The points about insulation are very valid here, they can lend to more ambient noise from outside, but, ambient noise ends up being your 'ticking clock' which becomes the norm after a period of time. The occurence of garden parties etc vary from suburb to suburb and generally people respect their neighbours....unless you pick the wrong suburb!!

We live in an apartment block (the very LAST place I intended but its stunning views of the harbour and has everything we need) and you do get the odd late night parry and noise, but that is almost always on special occasions (NYE, Australia Day, etc etc) or occasional weekends. I sometimes get a bit grumpy about it but at the end of the day we chose to live here and it is a 'resort' area so its to be expected. I am sure your OH will soon balance the occasional late nights with the good weather and outdoors life that will increase with your coming out here.

By the way, for anyone who wishes to use this thread to troll as there seems to be a few on here lately or generally turn it into an "Australia is crap because.../not perfect because... etc" thread please do not waste yours and my time as you will be ignored.

Regards

Si
Old Jan 26th 2010, 10:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
And believe me, a million cockies at 5am is worse than a jumbo
Quoll's right - they are extreme! My father in law is extremely deaf and hasn't heard English bird song for over 30 yrs but he can even hear the cockies!

They start before dawn too so while camping out bush last week we woke at 5.26 am the first couple of mornings! BUT - you do get used to it in my opinion but then I'm not what I'd call a light sleeper (thanks to the couple or three beers no doubt)

Best suggestion I'd have (and it would apply to buying/renting anywhere in the world) Try before you leap! Spend a couple of nights in chosen areas and see what it's like! You're bound to have odd nights that are louder but if generally it's not too bad then you could probably live with it - I'd also say that house hold noises drown out a lot! (Fan during summer, ducted heating during winter!)
Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:23 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

It's just not possible to say what your neighbours are going to be like when you don't even know where you're going to live. You'll get good and bad neighbours no matter where you go. Where we rented our retired next door neighbours were very social and had people over every weekend rain or shine. They always sat in the back garden because while they both smoked neither smoked in the house. Probably 5 out of 7 nights we would hear them in their back garden until 11 or so. Our kids' bedrooms were next to them, so the kids heard everything. We moved 5 minutes up the road when we built our house and over the past 7 months we have heard 1 party. New Year's Eve some people on the next street had company and they were in the back garden until just after 1.

As for other noises, you can choose from the lovely sounds of the city - buses, trains, traffic, people on the streets all night or the lovely sounds of the 'burbs - kookaburras at 5 am, cockatoos screeching, hoons hooning, waterbombers going over your house to put out bushfires.

Noise is noise. No matter where you live you are going to have noise.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Regards

Si
One of our neighbours has about four parties a year, which sometimes (last Saturday) lasted until 4 am including throwing empty beer bottles in the bin at 3 am. The bin is right behind my bed so to speak. The good thing about this guy is, he is otherwise very quiet, looks after his house very well and most importantly doesn't have a dog. Dog noise is a far bigger issue in OZ, it can go on for hours, people are at work and their dog stays outside the whole day. At some point we were surrended by dogs and it made me sick. If you are lucky, you have a responsible dog owner next to you, who cares about the dog, walks the dog and the dog is allowed inside the house as well.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 12:35 am
BE Enthusiast

The Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud ofThe Flintstones has much to be proud of

Had lots of noise when we first moved here, but its was close to central. Then we moved not to far into a studio apartment complex and now its very quiet. However, we have an on site manager who runs a tight ship, live near a commercial zone which shuts at 5pm and have a large lake on one side

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.