Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

No TV for a week.. !!!!! how long before.

No TV for a week.. !!!!! how long before.

Old Dec 4th 2005, 9:01 am
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute
Default No TV for a week.. !!!!! how long before.

we kill each other?

long story but on Friday we lost our Foxtel connection, and it wont be connected again until Tuesday 13th Dec... (God its a long story...surfice to say I have never met a bunch of jobworths as Foxtel)

unfortunatley, we have just moved into this house, and the only arieal is the Foxtel one,... so therefore no TV until Tuesday 13th...

This weekend hasnt been so bad, we got out a couple of DVDs (Harry Potter and the Prisoner of wherever. and Star Wars III.. cracking films both of them.. although Star Wars was better..)

But now its Sunday night..after mowing the lawn, going down the pub. we are now back... we have a couple of DVDs to watch (Phonix Nights, Gimme Gimme GImme).. but will these last a week....

What did people do before TV !!!!.. and no there is no piano...
Old Dec 4th 2005, 9:06 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No TV for a week.. !!!!! how long before.

Originally Posted by sloake
we kill each other?

long story but on Friday we lost our Foxtel connection, and it wont be connected again until Tuesday 13th Dec... (God its a long story...surfice to say I have never met a bunch of jobworths as Foxtel)

unfortunatley, we have just moved into this house, and the only arieal is the Foxtel one,... so therefore no TV until Tuesday 13th...

This weekend hasnt been so bad, we got out a couple of DVDs (Harry Potter and the Prisoner of wherever. and Star Wars III.. cracking films both of them.. although Star Wars was better..)

But now its Sunday night..after mowing the lawn, going down the pub. we are now back... we have a couple of DVDs to watch (Phonix Nights, Gimme Gimme GImme).. but will these last a week....

Stick a coat hanger in the aerial of your TV.

Card games. If you dont have kids then strip poker.
Old Dec 4th 2005, 9:40 am
Account Closed

ROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really niceROBnCAZ is just really nice

errr,

Go for a walk
Go for a bike ride
TALK (heaven forbid) to each other!
Play games
Surf the web
Have all night long (baby) nookie

I could go on all day!!!

we kill each other?

Old Dec 4th 2005, 10:45 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

we kill each other?

shag
Old Dec 4th 2005, 10:51 am
one day rodders !!!

robos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond reputerobos has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
shag
isnt that a new dance?
Old Dec 4th 2005, 11:12 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by robos
isnt that a new dance?

it could be.....but not as I know it lmao
Old Dec 4th 2005, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ROBnCAZ
Have all night long (baby) nookie

I could go on all day!!!
Bragger!
Old Dec 4th 2005, 7:43 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

we kill each other?

Hiya,
we went through a similar thing in the Uk when Sky went t*ts up.

We tried talking, reading, going out, early nights, watching DVD's Videos etc.

In the end we had the Sky fixed!

It was an interesting time!

Bye
Mark
Old Dec 4th 2005, 8:10 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I really think that people should from time to time not make the TV the central part of their evenings and house. I sometimes go to peoples houses and find that the TV is on in the corner of the room even when nobody is watching and generally left all on day.....

For thousands of years mankind did without this portable advertisement device.

Dont get me wrong I'm not (too much) a tree hugging hippie and not suggesting burning the TV as we enjoy a good DVD as much as the next person. I couldn't tell you what any programs that were on TV regularly and we dont want Foxtel. I did the whole NTL thing in the UK and it kinda just made us sit there sometimes and mindlessly change channels until it was bedtime. Since the evenings are warm and sitting outside is so nice (after the mossies have buggered off) then we just feel that thats more productive.

This isn't meant to criticise anybody - but if you take a couple of nights off a week to deliberately not use TV and do something else the sky will not fall down
Old Dec 4th 2005, 8:47 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

We had no TV due to the storms last week - a whole three hours without it. The Bloke went stir-crazy, pacing around, muttering, cursing, you'd have though the world had ended!
Having been brought up to only turn on the TV when really watching it, I find the 24 hour non-stop viewing a bit annoying at times, though he likes it on, so I have learnt to live with it. I remember the daya if the miner's strikes and daily power cuts back in the mid 70s in the UK, and we just accepted that there would be no TV and did something else.
Snakes and Ladders by candlelight anyone?
Old Dec 4th 2005, 10:53 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

life without tv is great!
Old Dec 4th 2005, 10:58 pm
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisnick
life without tv is great!
so far so good.. its been 3 days..been out and about doing stuff... but lets see how the rest of the week goes.

We have booked a trip away this weekend, so its only Mon - Fri to suffer with no sport... no SIMPSONS !!!! aahh..
Old Dec 5th 2005, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

so far so good.. its been 3 days..been out and about doing stuff... but lets see how the rest of the week goes.

We have booked a trip away this weekend, so its only Mon - Fri to suffer with no sport... no SIMPSONS !!!! aahh..

feeling for you honey, not sure I'd cope! Have you tried bribing the Foxtel man/woman????? I hear they're up for a bit of that in your neck of the woods????

All I can say is God Bless British TV. The things I'll miss;

1) Ant & Dec (they get better and funnier with age)
2) 'Some' reality TV shows!
3) The great British sense of humour, Little Britain, Frank Skinner and some of the oldies like Some Mothers Do Av Em, Allo Allo and Dads Army!
4) ITV Dramas - well written, well casted and just pure quality
5) Scrubs! (ok its American, but its on British TV)
6) Corrie and Eastenders - I watch them occasionally as I'm normally at work.
7) Time Team! I love history - the sort you dig up, not Tony Robinson (altho there may be a connection).
8) Property Ladder, Grand Designs infact anything to do with improving your house to make more money out of it - altho I haven't actually learnt or gained anything from these programmes)
9) Cbeebies for the kids, bedtime hour is great I don't have to read to the kids anymore!
10) Sir Trevor McDonald

From Aus TV I miss....

1) Better Homes and Gardens
2) Rove Live
3) Pop Idol

can't think of any more