Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

No Tv On Holiday !

No Tv On Holiday !

Old May 26th 2005, 7:28 am
C

NEILL & SHARON MILLS is on a distinguished road
Default No Tv On Holiday !

Could do with some advice please.Going on a recce/holiday to Queensland in August , hired a motorhome , but I don,t think that there is a tv in it.I know you don,t go on this type of trip to gawp at the telly but because at this time of year it gets dark early and we have a nine year old to occupy at night we think it might ease the pressure a bit.Does anyone know the best way of getting a tv , hire or is it cheap enough to buy one for the holiday.We are planning on stopping every night on one of the Big 4 camp sites so power should be ok.I know this sounds a bit trivial but needs must.
Old May 26th 2005, 11:12 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No Tv On Holiday !

Originally Posted by NEILL & SHARON MILLS
Could do with some advice please.Going on a recce/holiday to Queensland in August , hired a motorhome , but I don,t think that there is a tv in it.I know you don,t go on this type of trip to gawp at the telly but because at this time of year it gets dark early and we have a nine year old to occupy at night we think it might ease the pressure a bit.Does anyone know the best way of getting a tv , hire or is it cheap enough to buy one for the holiday.We are planning on stopping every night on one of the Big 4 camp sites so power should be ok.I know this sounds a bit trivial but needs must.
We had a van in NZ for 9 days. Many of the camp sites had a common room with a tv but I don't suppose your kids would want to watch news. There were often climbing frames etc and our 5 year old (at the time) was on them making friends. We also played cards, read books etc and didn't miss the tv.

When I was a kid dad used to connect a portable tv to a car battery but reception wasn't great.

You can buy small portable DVD players for about £100 in Woolworths (the UK one) or Argos. You could buy a CD case and carry 32 or more DVD's in something the size of a video.
Old May 26th 2005, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Princess_atta has a spectacular aura aboutPrincess_atta has a spectacular aura aboutPrincess_atta has a spectacular aura about

I echo worzel on the DVD. We bought one in Singapore on our stopover here to help keep dd entertained.

It has proved invaluable as we spent many long (& boring for her) days driving throughout Victoria checking places out. I only ever turned it on for the last hour of each journey so it remained novel to her.

I don't think anyone back home would believe me if I told them I'd bought a portable dvd player for my 17 month daughter!! That's the last thing I thougth I would ever do but also one of the best things.
Old May 26th 2005, 11:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Bear in mind, tv reception through an aerial here is a bit indifferent at the best of times. I wouldn't want to risk getting to a camp site only to find theres no reception on your portable tv.

Gotta say the above suggestion of a dvd player sounds best.

JTL
Old May 26th 2005, 12:17 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

And get used to the fact its dark early - that happens all year round in Queensland!
Old May 26th 2005, 12:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
And get used to the fact its dark early - that happens all year round in Queensland!
Don't start me

Yes, dark at about 5:30 now, though I suppose we're only a month away from the winter solstice. (must find my druid outfit and steely dan albums)

Then it gets lighter again, but its never bright beyond 6:30, because that would confuse the cows

JTL
Old May 26th 2005, 12:59 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
because that would confuse the cows

JTL
Last I heard, no one had found any cows. Have they been seen yet, or is it too dark