Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

No sympathy required

No sympathy required

Old Feb 19th 2020, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Airbornestokoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No sympathy required

Hi everyone new to this malarkey. Straight up question. You will all have you views and i respect your right to give them. Im sure you will.
i have been disqualified from driving in uk. I was on my own drive. Drink in hand. Car engine running as i had not long serviced it and was checking for leaks underneath. Local constabulary happend to wander past....rest is history. Drunk in charge. High level of alcohol so 18 months plus a wee difference of opinion with law enforcement. Im wondering if it would be possible to move to Australia and get a new licence. Im an hgv class1driver without any other blemishes on my record.
thanks in advance.
Stephen
Old Feb 20th 2020, 5:13 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No sympathy required

Originally Posted by Airbornestokoe
Hi everyone new to this malarkey. Straight up question. You will all have you views and i respect your right to give them. Im sure you will.
i have been disqualified from driving in uk. I was on my own drive. Drink in hand. Car engine running as i had not long serviced it and was checking for leaks underneath. Local constabulary happend to wander past....rest is history. Drunk in charge. High level of alcohol so 18 months plus a wee difference of opinion with law enforcement. Im wondering if it would be possible to move to Australia and get a new licence. Im an hgv class1driver without any other blemishes on my record.
thanks in advance.
Stephen
Hi Stephen. Each State in Australia has different regulations so as a start Google something like 'drivers license for new arrivals (name of the State you'll be moving to)

I know that in the state I live in (WA) you can exchange a valid UK license for a WA one, but that's not applicable if the UK license has been disqualified. The only way I can think of for you to get your license in WA is to apply as a new driver, which unfortunately comes with a lot of conditions (probation etc). Sorry I couldn't be more help but do have a Google to see the regs in different States. Best of luck.
Old Feb 20th 2020, 8:56 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Airbornestokoe
thanks in advance.
Stephen
I think a visa would be your biggest hurdle. So you qualify for a visa to live in Australia?
Old Feb 20th 2020, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

SoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond reputeSoCalDon has a reputation beyond repute

Can't comment on the disqual but I do know that neither my HGV1 from England or my bus driving licence from America were transferable to my QLD driving license. All I could transfer automatically was my car and motorcycle licenses from England. You'll certainly have to retrain or at least retake the test.