Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

No Stamp Duty on first house - Beware

No Stamp Duty on first house - Beware

Old Nov 20th 2008, 1:00 am
Forum Regular

Chris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant future
Default No Stamp Duty on first house - Beware

We have just been hit for stamp duty on our first home in Australia, we purposely brought a house under $500,000 so we would'nt have to pay it ! But you do have to if you have ever owned property anywhere in the World. So thats another $8000 please oh and another $983.40Qld registration fee. + Solicitors fees (about $1000) so just a good job the first home owners grant of $14000 is not world wide to.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 1:01 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice
Default Re: No Stamp Duty on first house - Beware

Originally Posted by Chris Ball
We have just been hit for stamp duty on our first home in Australia, we purposely brought a house under $500,000 so we would'nt have to pay it ! But you do have to if you have ever owned property anywhere in the World. So thats another $8000 please oh and another $983.40Qld registration fee. + Solicitors fees (about $1000) so just a good job the first home owners grant of $14000 is not world wide to.
Is that right? i thought it applied to first home only in OZ.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 1:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Must have changed very recently then. We weren't charged it.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

Chris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant futureChris Ball has a brilliant future

Yes absolutely 100% i've just got off the phone to the solicitor
Old Nov 20th 2008, 1:07 am
ABCDiamond

From my page on this:

Rules for First Home Buyers

QLD: A person's home is a first home if, before acquiring the home, the person did not hold and has never before held an interest in other residential land in Queensland or elsewhere, other than as a trustee for another person, as a lessee or as a holder of a security interest.

Old Nov 20th 2008, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Must have changed very recently then. We weren't charged it.
Did you declare that you had owned property in the world before ?
Old Nov 20th 2008, 1:15 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Did you declare that you had owned property in the world before ?
Assume so. Can't imagine that we didn't. Can't honestly remember now, it's three years ago but I'm fairly certain we didn't pay stamp duty.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Yep it has been changed since first of September 08, both the bank & our solicitor told us.
Also there is backlog of the first time buyer grant be careful don’t get caught in it, they’ll pay but there is a bit of wait, make sure you have your $14.000 ready in case there is delay, happened to a friend of us last week.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 1:19 am
ABCDiamond

A similar thing on the FHOG was also mentioned in the Senate Select Committee on Housing Affordability in Australia, Chapter 9 - Current and proposed schemes to increase home ownership, First Home Owner Grant (FHOG) Scheme, section 9.5

thought it unfair that people who had previously owned a house in Australia were ineligible for a FHOG but people who had previously owned a house overseas could still receive it
Who knows what other changes may occur...

Old Nov 20th 2008, 1:20 am
Demi-God

Burbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond reputeBurbage has a reputation beyond repute

It's a state benefit. They need to make sure that homeowners from other states can't get it.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to beholdThe_Wookie is a splendid one to behold

Is that ruling just for Qld?

I can't find anything that says about overseas property on the WA State Revenue website.

Last edited by The_Wookie; Nov 20th 2008 at 1:26 am.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 1:31 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
Is that ruling just for Qld?

I can't find anything that says about overseas property on the WA State Revenue website.
I have only ever seen it in writing from QLD, and that was well before September 2008. In fact, the QLD gov web page, that quotes it, is dated Jun 24, 2008.

Each State does have its own rules on this though.

Old Nov 20th 2008, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

dpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to all

TBH the FHOG being available to someone like me is a bit unfair as my next property will be my third, and the only reason I will have a large (30-50%) deposit is due to profit on the previous 2 properties rather than saving up. It would be fairer to genuine FHBs if I didn't get this grant as I am just competing unfairly with them.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 2:05 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

we had to pay stamp duty on our home , purchased nov 2007. It wasn't the full amount but, heh ho
Old Nov 20th 2008, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
From my page on this:
Thanks guys, we too were under the understanding we'd not have to pay stamp duty on a planned purchase. Fortunately we haven't actually started the ball rolling so we have time to do the maths again but damn didn't need this.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.