Wikiposts

No sleep 'til Brisbane

Old Jun 16th 2004, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

Gryff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: No sleep 'til Brisbane

Originally posted by kcsb17
Hi Gryff,

Another prospective Brisbanite here lurking in the background. I'm also interested in MBBC. I have 8 year old twins. I checked out their website but could find nothing about fees. Is it expensive ? Is it selective entry. How academic would you consider it to be. I have 2 bright sparks who are bored stiff at their UK state school (and its one of the better ones)
Any info greatly appreciated.

K
MBBC has recently opened and I believe Conor's year, which will be Year 2, is the lead year. So not sure if your boys will be a year too old! Here's the email [email protected] Phillippa is very helpful and I'm sure will answer all your questions. I've just hunted around for all my paperwork but I seem to have sent it in the container...doh! I am planning on emailing both colleges later and will let you know if i get any info which could be of use to you.

There are lots of other good boy's colleges in Brisbane, friends of ours are sending their sons to Brisbane Boys College, but it's the wrong side of the city for us. Nudgee is another which is quite a good school for sports I think. We went to look at one called "Churchie" (can't remember the full name) which was very good also.....I had a book somewhere I'll try and hunt it out (unless I've packed it!!)
Old Jun 16th 2004, 9:45 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No sleep 'til Brisbane

Originally posted by Gryff
MBBC has recently opened and I believe Conor's year, which will be Year 2, is the lead year. So not sure if your boys will be a year too old! Here's the email [email protected] Phillippa is very helpful and I'm sure will answer all your questions. I've just hunted around for all my paperwork but I seem to have sent it in the container...doh! I am planning on emailing both colleges later and will let you know if i get any info which could be of use to you.

There are lots of other good boy's colleges in Brisbane, friends of ours are sending their sons to Brisbane Boys College, but it's the wrong side of the city for us. Nudgee is another which is quite a good school for sports I think. We went to look at one called "Churchie" (can't remember the full name) which was very good also.....I had a book somewhere I'll try and hunt it out (unless I've packed it!!)
kscb (hiya how ya been, havent seen you for ages ), I think Gyrff may be right, it only opened this year on its new site & the oldest kids would only be year 2 (turning 7 between 1st Jan 2004 & 31st Dec 2004.

As for the others, here are some websites

Churchie
Brisbane Boys Grammar
Brisbane Boys College - different school to the Grammar school
Nudgee College - Catholic

All these are very very well respected boys schools, probably the best 4 in Brisbane. Good thing to remember though is that you will probably be looking at fees of somewhere around $8,000-$10,000/year (+ extras like books & uniforms etc) to attend. Plus there will no doubt be an extremely long waiting list.

Depending on where you are heading, there are much cheaper options .
Old Jun 16th 2004, 12:00 pm
ABCDiamond

It looks like everything has been said that needs saying

I needed an early night !! Had to get my daughter to school by 7.30, so that meant getting up early today I had this terms Parent Teacher interview today at 7.30am (Sheldon College)

But it was a good one, so worth it

This area seems to have a few very good private schools, and all with reasonable fees.

If you haven't seen the links for these local schools, please ask me, and i'll let you have them.

Old Jun 17th 2004, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

karen p is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tactoid,

I was just wondering how you got your children
into Moreton Bay College? When I contacted them they
said they didn't take enrollments from overseas. Did you
enrol them when you were there at Christmas?

My eldest daughter has a place at Ormiston College, but
at the moment there isn't a place for my younger, but hopefully
sibling priority will get her a place soon. In the meantime we'll
get her into Ormiston State school which is right next door
to Ormiston Springs where we've rented a place for 6 months.

My eldest daughter (Emma) is also 12 and is in the same situation as yours as she's just finishing her first year at high school and will start high school again in January.

All the best Karen