Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

No sleep 'til Brisbane

No sleep 'til Brisbane

Old Jun 16th 2004, 11:43 am
Just Joined

Tactoid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No sleep 'til Brisbane

New to the site but I have been lurking for a couple of days. Loads of useful info exchanged.
We arrive in Brisbane in eight weeks and two days and are looking to rent initially in Manly/ Wellington Point area as girls are going to Moreton Bay College. Had a six week recce at Xmas and can't wait to get back.
Access to rental property seems pretty good but anybody got any recommendations for somewhere to stay for a week or so while we sort it. We have friends in Chapel Hill but I don't want to burden them. All suggestions gratefully received, plus any other top tips for the newly arrived
Keep up the top posting
Old Jun 16th 2004, 11:47 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

*drum roll*

Wheres ABC?!?!?!

Old Jun 16th 2004, 11:59 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
*drum roll*

Wheres ABC?!?!?!

Bugger it looks like hes gone to bed, I'll have to do it :scared: .

Hiya Tactoid ,

ABCDiamond usually does the "welcome to the board & glad to have you join us" speil from our part of the world, but since hes gone to bed I'll say hi instead . Manly/Wellington Point is my neck of the woods, there are actually quite a few of us in this area, & quite a few on the way in the next 2 weeks. Moreton Bay College is certainly getting a few more students from the UK soon as well.

As for places to stay, there are quite a few options in the area, for how many people & how long for?
Old Jun 16th 2004, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

Hi Mrs Dagboy
I guessed it would be either ABC or your good self that would be right there. Really miffed about missing your gathering by the way.
Its myself, wife, and two girls aged 7 and 12.
Just looking for a holiday type let until we find a house. Should've checked this out when we there but too busy having a winderful time. Daughters have suggested going back to Tangalooma but they have been overruled.
Old Jun 16th 2004, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Gryff is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: No sleep 'til Brisbane

Originally posted by Tactoid
New to the site but I have been lurking for a couple of days. Loads of useful info exchanged.
We arrive in Brisbane in eight weeks and two days and are looking to rent initially in Manly/ Wellington Point area as girls are going to Moreton Bay College. Had a six week recce at Xmas and can't wait to get back.
Access to rental property seems pretty good but anybody got any recommendations for somewhere to stay for a week or so while we sort it. We have friends in Chapel Hill but I don't want to burden them. All suggestions gratefully received, plus any other top tips for the newly arrived
Keep up the top posting

Hi there,
We arrive in Brisbane on the 2 July and my daughter is going to Moreton Bay College too, although she cannot start until January as there are no places available in August. Our daughter is almost 10, how old are your daughters?

Our son is almost 7 and he is going to Moreton Bay Boys College and can start straight away, much to his disgust!!!
Old Jun 16th 2004, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

Hi Gryff
Eldest is twelve and is a bit iffy about the whole deal. She only changed school last year and has settled really well with loads of friends etc. Youngest is seven and can't wait. We aren't sure if she can go straight in yet as places are a problem, but as the big one is in the sibling gets a priority apparently.
Whereabouts are you going to live and how sorted are you?
Old Jun 16th 2004, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Gryff
Eldest is twelve and is a bit iffy about the whole deal. She only changed school last year and has settled really well with loads of friends etc. Youngest is seven and can't wait. We aren't sure if she can go straight in yet as places are a problem, but as the big one is in the sibling gets a priority apparently.
Whereabouts are you going to live and how sorted are you?
Not sure where to live yet! Somewhere not too far from the school, I hope. We are staying at a friends house for the first 3 weeks.

We think we may have to put Jordenne into a temporary school, which she is not happy about. Conor gets in straight away as the boys college is new. Have you been to the school then? We looked around it last August and thought it was wonderful....the school really made up the kids minds about the move.

Wish I was sorted!...the container has gone and we are trying hard to sell the car (nightmare) and bits of furniture.

Hope we can meet up when we are over there.

How organised are you?
Old Jun 16th 2004, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

We had a good look at the school but only from the outside as it was xmas holidays. A good review from yourself is also a bit of a relief that we have made a good choice. We did quite a bit of research and met quite a few teachers while we were there and it got a good rep. I wanted to try Brisbane girls as well as daughter is pretty academic but they weren't particularly helpful, unlike Moreton Bay.
I think we are fairly well organised, although to be honest wifey does most of this. Sold our house a few months ago so that was one big worry gone. Shipping company chosen, kids have been persuaded that taking elderly cat is bad idea, video diaires of old life in production etc.
Only blip on horizon is that I may have to come back for a few months to try and extricate myself from the 'project from hell', but we can't afford to mess the kids around any more. Not so big a problem compared to the poor souls still in limbo and waiting to hear.
Old Jun 16th 2004, 1:16 pm
Rocket Scientist

Tac, here are a couple of places to try, depending on your budget

Jacaranda Outlook - Cleveland

Bayside Gardens - Cleveland

Gateway Village Holiday park - Rochedale

Pelicans Nest at Wynnum (sorry, dont have a website for them), certainly not the cheapest option (I think $900/week was the prive mentioned? ) but cookies parents stayed there & they said it was very nice.

Cleveland Terrace - Cleveland

Koala Motel - doubles from $88/night, sorry once again no website but they are right in the middle of where you want to go if you dont want to have to travel far. If you want more info on them let me know.

Victoria Point Holiday Units
Phone: 61+07 3821 0057

One x two bedroom unit, fully self contained, opposite Victoria Point Reserve, BBQ facilities, wheelchair accessible, 50m from the water

Plus theres Happy Koala Homes which is at Capalaba http://www.happykoalahomes.com/ , depending on if its booked or not.

ABC might be able to come up with more tomorrow (actually some of those are his links anyway )

And can you please check your Private Messages Tac .
Old Jun 16th 2004, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

We had a good look at the school but only from the outside as it was xmas holidays. A good review from yourself is also a bit of a relief that we have made a good choice. We did quite a bit of research and met quite a few teachers while we were there and it got a good rep. I wanted to try Brisbane girls as well as daughter is pretty academic but they weren't particularly helpful, unlike Moreton Bay.
I think we are fairly well organised, although to be honest wifey does most of this. Sold our house a few months ago so that was one big worry gone. Shipping company chosen, kids have been persuaded that taking elderly cat is bad idea, video diaires of old life in production etc.
Only blip on horizon is that I may have to come back for a few months to try and extricate myself from the 'project from hell', but we can't afford to mess the kids around any more. Not so big a problem compared to the poor souls still in limbo and waiting to hear.
I was actually feeling quite pleased that someone else had chosen this school too! Helps me to think we've made the right decision. Our daughter is emailing some of the girls who will be in her year and this has helped loads....she is so excited about meeting them.

When do you arrive? My hubby also may have to come back over to the UK for a couple of months!

We have had to say goodbye to our cats too....they are only 2 yrs old but they have been re-homed within the family so we know they will be well looked after.
Old Jun 16th 2004, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

We should be there w/c 16th Aug but I have another meeting on friday that will finalise all plans. Container being loaded on the 9th so can't hang around after that. Still need to decide on stopovers or not. Couple of days in Singapore sounds good but wifey just wants to get there and get on with things.
Very envious that you are so close, and that you will make MrsD bash
Old Jun 16th 2004, 1:51 pm
Rocket Scientist

Gryff (& Tac), Moreton Bay College has an excellent reputation, I wouldnt be worried about sending my kids there (if I had daughters LOL). My neighbours daughter finished year 12 there, it comes highly recommended
Old Jun 16th 2004, 1:55 pm
From U.K 2 Aus

Jigsaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Have not been posting myself long either, but this forum is a mine of information

Just Wanted to wish you and your family alll the very best of luck in your new home/school and life. We are jsut getting all the TRA stuff together one of hubby's ex employers have moved all thier HR files and could not get access until today. We are some of the unfortunate souls left in limbo while we wait and see what transpires.

Got told yesterday that l am being made redundant shortly - was having doubts until then. It is great to hear from people like yourself's who are on there way.

We have got cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, hens, goats and horses to rehome. Keep telling myself that l can do it if l have too!

Good bit of info on the school situ as well!

GOOD LUCK - Keep us posted on how you get on out there
Old Jun 16th 2004, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Gryff (& Tac), Moreton Bay College has an excellent reputation, I wouldnt be worried about sending my kids there (if I had daughters LOL). My neighbours daughter finished year 12 there, it comes highly recommended
Thanks MrsD...I've just breathed a hugh sigh of relief! I will be able to thank you in person soon...yippeeeee.
Old Jun 16th 2004, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

kcsb17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Gryff

Our son is almost 7 and he is going to Moreton Bay Boys College and can start straight away, much to his disgust!!!
Hi Gryff,

Another prospective Brisbanite here lurking in the background. I'm also interested in MBBC. I have 8 year old twins. I checked out their website but could find nothing about fees. Is it expensive ? Is it selective entry. How academic would you consider it to be. I have 2 bright sparks who are bored stiff at their UK state school (and its one of the better ones)
Any info greatly appreciated.

K

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.