Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

No relocation package but salary $125k

No relocation package but salary $125k

Old Aug 15th 2008, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No relocation package but salary $125k

Originally Posted by suzyt
Hi that seem a bit harsh, my husband has been offered a job and the package so far has included, all shipping cost out there, all flights there and back, medical insurance for the whole family, 4 weeks free accomadation time off to source schools , houses and a car, shipping costs back all visas and supporting documentation paid for by them, plus a couple of other bits. The thing is could you not use this as a stepping stone, how long would your contract be for, are they not prepared to even have a chat about it, and have you looked at any other avenues of employment, are you dealing with an agency
Hi, just wondered what sort of job that was for, as the best that we have ever come across was shipping and accommodation in a hotel for a month until rental found.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

ausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond reputeausi dream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helen_and_michael
Just found out that due that due to some bad experiences elsewhere, the company that I had been holding out for has back tracked on relocation. They indicated that the job is there, if I want but I will have to make my own arrangements for travel/accommodation in Perth.

The job fits my skills and is bettered than here in UK, but I have been put off by this attitude

Comments/suggestions welcome?
Have you secured the job in contract before leaving as they are good at saying no job available once you have up heaved to the other side of the world.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 8:30 pm
Northern Monkey

adamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to alladamlt1972 is a name known to all

I'm in the middle of relocating and have been offered $5K towards relocation, to be repaid if I leave within 6 months. Can't you ask for the same thing? They've got to take into account the fact that you'll either be laying out a fortune to fly and ship stuff over, or to pay to kit out a new place.
At the end of the day there could be other employers who'll pay out for relocation expenses, let them know this
Old Aug 15th 2008, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

dpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to all

I have just found out that the company which sponsored me for a temp visa has been taken over, they aren't sure what the relocation package should be. The initial offer was $10000 plus other expenses amounting to about £1000 GBP. I have since discovered from discussions with established aussie colleagues that the 1st company's contract was a bit crap compared to what they have managed to negotiate.
We fly out in 2 1/2 weeks, and other than temp accomodation the entire thing is up in the air!
Old Aug 17th 2008, 10:33 am
UK to Brissy - August 07

smoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nice

Hi

My OH works for a large project Engineering company in Brisbane and they pay for everything ....... we didn't spend a penny to get here. 2 adults and 2 kids. Oh has since relocated 2 colleagues from the UK and they were also paid for. I would say that if your an engineer then there are loads of jobs, contact some recruitment companies and let them do some searching for you. Oh had the pick of 3 jobs when we first decided to come over. So there's plenty to choose from. Don't panic over that on company that's not coughing up. There will be plenty or other opportunities if you look. Brisbane is heaving with engineering jobs.

Good luck
Old Aug 17th 2008, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by smoggieswilltravel
Hi

My OH works for a large project Engineering company in Brisbane and they pay for everything ....... we didn't spend a penny to get here. 2 adults and 2 kids. Oh has since relocated 2 colleagues from the UK and they were also paid for. I would say that if your an engineer then there are loads of jobs, contact some recruitment companies and let them do some searching for you. Oh had the pick of 3 jobs when we first decided to come over. So there's plenty to choose from. Don't panic over that on company that's not coughing up. There will be plenty or other opportunities if you look. Brisbane is heaving with engineering jobs.

Good luck
It all depends on what sort of engineer you are, if its ( LAME ) aircraft then i think you have a rough deal.