Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

No place like home

No place like home

Old Feb 25th 2003, 12:17 am

pomijean is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No place like home

We all make mistakes,I made mine 40 years ago coming to the promised land,at first it was good,bought a house,food very cheap compared to UK,life was tough in England in those days,just been through a war and on rations for ten years after,so we all came out to a better life.
Last time I went home,i met several pensioners who had retired to England,I have never had the opportunity to return home earlier as it would have been hard to get a job as I was older and I also had my animals.
Spoke to my sister last night,she said weather was very pleasant,like a spring day,she is dreading the summer heat over there,she had just been shopping and stocked up on buy one get one free,you never see that out here,they just increase the prices each week.
Sorry to be so depressing but as I said theres no place like home.
Old Feb 25th 2003, 12:58 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No place like home

Originally posted by pomijean
We all make mistakes,I made mine 40 years ago coming to the promised land,at first it was good,bought a house,food very cheap compared to UK,life was tough in England in those days,just been through a war and on rations for ten years after,so we all came out to a better life.
Last time I went home,i met several pensioners who had retired to England,I have never had the opportunity to return home earlier as it would have been hard to get a job as I was older and I also had my animals.
Spoke to my sister last night,she said weather was very pleasant,like a spring day,she is dreading the summer heat over there,she had just been shopping and stocked up on buy one get one free,you never see that out here,they just increase the prices each week.
Sorry to be so depressing but as I said theres no place like home.
I do agree with you also home is where the heart and soul are and I find Australia to be a country that has neather I could never see us growing old here .
We saw 2 old ladies from the North of England on the train to Perth last week both here on holiday they talked none stop to each other and to anyone near them , it was refreashing to hear their small talk in a train full of faceless people .

Old Feb 25th 2003, 1:56 am
pankala

Originally posted by pommie bastard
I do agree with you also home is where the heart and soul are and I find Australia to be a country that has neather I could never see us growing old here .
We saw 2 old ladies from the North of England on the train to Perth last week both here on holiday they talked none stop to each other and to anyone near them , it was refreashing to hear their small talk in a train full of faceless people .
Home: A little piece of England forever a foreign field. (Will Shakespeare)

Old Feb 25th 2003, 3:22 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by pankala
Home: A little piece of England forever a foreign field. (Will Shakespeare)

Oh to be in England now that April's here" - Home Thoughts from Abroad, Robert Browning

Old Feb 25th 2003, 3:40 am
pankala

Oh to be in England now that April's here" - Home Thoughts from Abroad, Robert Browning

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of rugged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains,
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror,
The wide brown land for me!

-Dorothy Mackellar

Old Feb 25th 2003, 3:46 am
Banned

I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of rugged mountain ranges,
Of droughts and flooding rains,
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror,
The wide brown land for me!

-Dorothy Mackellar
Very shes welcome to it had a bellyfull of brown for one life time give me a green and pleasant land.

I will not cease from mental fight Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand
Till we have built Jerusalem In England's green and pleasant land. ...

Old Feb 25th 2003, 3:50 am
pankala

Very shes welcome to it had a bellyfull of brown for one life time give me a green and pleasant land.

I will not cease from mental fight Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand
Till we have built Jerusalem In England's green and pleasant land. ...

I think a few more Palestinians are needed.

Old Feb 25th 2003, 3:53 am
Banned

I think a few more Palestinians are needed.
I know a few driving taxis here see if they have a few minutes to spare?

Last edited by pommie bastard; Feb 25th 2003 at 3:59 am.
Old Feb 25th 2003, 3:56 am
pankala

I know a few driving taxis here see if they have a fews minutes to spare?

Sounds like you have been recruiting already!

Old Feb 25th 2003, 4:01 am
Banned

Sounds like you have been recruiting already!
Muti cultural country Pal you can be anything bar a Pom .

Old Feb 25th 2003, 4:17 am
pankala

Muti cultural country Pal you can be anything bar a Pom .
Doubt you have the impersonation skills.

Old Feb 25th 2003, 4:23 am
Banned

Doubt you have the impersonation skills.
Wait a minute master of disguise take a singlelet , hat with corks ,thongs and shorts worn low on the bum raise a can to my mouth an pour most of it down the singlelet and you have an Aussie , throw in mate amd swear every other word blend in no problem.

Old Feb 25th 2003, 4:35 am
pankala

Wait a minute master of disguise take a singlelet , hat with corks ,thongs and shorts worn low on the bum raise a can to my mouth an pour most of it down the singlelet and you have an Aussie , throw in mate amd swear every other word blend in no problem.

I take it back, so youve actually gone native then? But can you still catch the sheep when disguised? I thought the sheep had woken up to all the other impersonators.

Old Feb 25th 2003, 4:39 am
Banned

I take it back, so youve actually gone native then? But can you still catch the sheep when disguised? I thought the sheep had woken up to all the other impersonators.

No some Poms love the place that much they get in on the act , no wonder the locals hate us whats winning at sport when your sheeps affections are trifiled with.

Old Feb 25th 2003, 4:50 am
pankala

No some Poms love the place that much they get in on the act , no wonder the locals hate us whats winning at sport when your sheeps affections are trifiled with.

Well, I just hope they let the rams out of the top paddock on your next triffling attempt.

Last edited by pankala; Feb 25th 2003 at 4:53 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.