Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

No need to take driving test in Queensland

No need to take driving test in Queensland

Old Jan 7th 2007, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute
Default No need to take driving test in Queensland

Is that right, that from Jan 1st anyone with a UK licence can just swap it for an Australian one without the need to take a test of any kind?

Cheers

Jazzys
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Mouse the Dingo is just really niceMouse the Dingo is just really niceMouse the Dingo is just really niceMouse the Dingo is just really niceMouse the Dingo is just really niceMouse the Dingo is just really niceMouse the Dingo is just really niceMouse the Dingo is just really nice
Default Re: No need to take driving test in Queensland

It is correct that in Queensland you are no longer required to sit a theory test. You merely need to complete a form and obtain a Queensland driving licence for a period of your choice (1 to 5 years)

MTD
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:26 pm
ridiculous avatar

Jimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of lightJimmy Cliff is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mouse the Dingo
It is correct that in Queensland you are no longer required to sit a theory test. You merely need to complete a form and obtain a Queensland driving licence for a period of your choice (1 to 5 years)

MTD

Unless you want to drive a lorry..........
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

Mouse the Dingo is just really niceMouse the Dingo is just really niceMouse the Dingo is just really niceMouse the Dingo is just really niceMouse the Dingo is just really niceMouse the Dingo is just really niceMouse the Dingo is just really niceMouse the Dingo is just really nice

It would be quite tempting to drive a lorry over here or perhaps a monster truck !!!
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

paulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nicepaulhill is just really nice

MTD

We will be arriving in Brisbane in February therefore do we no longer need to bring International Driving Licences? Our UK ones will be sufficient? Thanks
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:49 pm

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

If you have a bike entitlement this will also be transferred.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

For driving a car you can use your UK driving licence for a period of up to 3 months. I think International Driving Licences can be used for up to a year although I am not entirely certain. If you don't transfer onto an Aus driving licence within these timescales you obviously run the risk of being stopped and not having the correct documentation.
During the first 3 months you can go into a Queensland Transport office and obtain an Aus licence. It is approx $65 for a 5 year licence.
I seem to remember that 3 forms of ID are required - e.g. passport, driving licence and a utility bill/rent payment details form your current address.
This is the relevant website for more information

www.transport.qld.gov.au

Hope this helps.

MTD
Old Jan 7th 2007, 10:15 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

That's good news, I've both a UK and NZ licence and wasn't looking forward to doing a theory test again.
Old Jan 7th 2007, 11:06 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
That's good news, I've both a UK and NZ licence and wasn't looking forward to doing a theory test again.
Ironically I think we need to do a test if we want to update our NZ licenses??
Keep getting conflicting info. Converted my NZ license to UK back in 94 and have since lost the old green version. But quite happy now with my Victorian license (just not the photo )
Old Jan 8th 2007, 12:58 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I think International Driving Licences can be used for up to a year although I am not entirely certain.
Not if you are living in the state as a PR!
Old Jan 8th 2007, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

micmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to allmicmay3_in_oz is a name known to all
Smile Re: No need to take driving test in Queensland

MTD
Thanks for this you have just made my OH's day. He's off to fetch his licence and I'm off shopping whilst he's in a good mood. Cheers

Mx