Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

No names no pack drill!!!

No names no pack drill!!!

Old Aug 21st 2007, 10:42 am
Just Joined

Yorks to Melbourne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No names no pack drill!!!

Right after yesterdays eye opening posts & subsequent closing of thread.
I have had confirmation of the exact route into Oz for us.

"Initially a Student Visa. This gives work rights (up to 20 hrs) and is for 2 years.
Then you will be applying for a Provisional Resident visa - this is for one year. This is to meet the work experience criteria.
Then you will be applying for the Skilled visa based upon the skill obtained through study and work experience.
Lastly after a further 4 years you will be applying for your Australian Citizenship."

Has anyone else gone this route, as previously mentioned the GF is to re-train for 2 years as a hairdresser with a further year to be worked within that industry & I can apply once in Oz to be eligible for a full time work visa?

I now have a choice to make, spend more time & money looking into other agents or biting the bullet & going with the "unmentionable" agency!

Any input will be greatfully received.

Nigel M

Last edited by Yorks to Melbourne; Aug 21st 2007 at 11:33 am.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 10:53 am
Account Closed

Up To Late is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: No names no pack drill!!!

Hi Nigel,

I would not appoint ANY agent! Just apply for the student visa yourselves. It can be done online. When you have been in Oz for 2 yrs you can appoint an agent if you need to.

That's only my opinion - any one else have one?

N
Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure you will be able to work full time? I thought the partner of a student visa holder could only work 20 hours per week too?
Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorks to Melbourne
Right after yesterdays eye opening posts & subsequent closing of thread.
I have had confirmation of the exact route into Oz for us.

"Initially a Student Visa. This gives work rights (up to 20 hrs) and is for 2 years.
Then you will be applying for a Provisional Resident visa - this is for one year. This is to meet the work experience criteria.
Then you will be applying for the Skilled visa based upon the skill obtained through study and work experience.
Lastly after a further 4 years you will be applying for your Australian Citizenship."

Has anyone else gone this route, as previously mentioned the GF is to re-train for 2 years as a hairdresser with a further year to be worked within that industry & I can apply once in Oz to be eligible for a full time work visa?

I now have a choice to make, spend more time & money looking into other agents or biting the bullet & going with the "unmentionable" agency!

Any input will be greatly received.

Nigel M

Nigel,

You mention applying for a visa to enable you to work full time when you get here, may I ask what your occupation is?

If it is one that could get you a visa, you may be better off applying from there, then you can both work full time as soon as you get here.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Hi Wendy,
I am in IT Procurement/sales & the GF is a personal trainer

Regards

Nigel M
Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Wendy,
I am in IT Procurement/sales & the GF is a personal trainer

Regards

Nigel M

I'm not all that clued up on IT skills, but there is this occupation on the SOL list: http://www.immi.gov.au/asri/occupati...s)-2222-13.htm

Does that cover what you do? and if so do you have a bachelor degree or higher in it?
Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:45 am
Australian Citizen

Weirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond reputeWeirdstone has a reputation beyond repute

Hello ...just want to say hello, and welcome from a fellow Melburnian - let me know if you want any help with Melbourne stuff in itself.

Cas
Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:49 am
Just Joined

Yes, that’s broadly what I do, with purchasing thrown in for good measure, however I have no academic qualifications, degree etc. I have only industry qualifications with 10 years experience.

Thanks Wierdstone, appreciated!

Nigel
Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes, that’s broadly what I do, with purchasing thrown in for good measure, however I have no academic qualifications, degree etc. I have only industry qualifications with 10 years experience.

Thanks Wierdstone, appreciated!

Nigel

Bummer!.

Might be worth looking into sponsorship of some kind then? If your both under 30, with no kids, then you could get a Working Holiday Visa and see if you could get sponsorship when you get here.

Student visa's are OK, but they are extremely expensive due to the course fees, and then the fact that both of you can only work 20 hours per week, so really look into other options first.

And remember, where there's a will there a........relative

I would say speak to at least another two agents and get their opinions on your options.
Old Aug 21st 2007, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Wendy,
GF is under 30 I am 37!!!! Have had a quote of around £6k for inclusive agents fees and close to £10k for the hairdressing course!!!!!
I am currently contacting other agents for comparisons.
I have realatives in Sydney but want to be in Melbourne as we have friends there and really liked the area when we spent 4 weeks there 2 years ago.

Regards

Nigel M
Old Aug 21st 2007, 12:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Thanks Wendy,
GF is under 30 I am 37!!!! Have had a quote of around £6k for inclusive agents fees and close to £10k for the hairdressing course!!!!!
I am currently contacting other agents for comparisons.
I have realatives in Sydney but want to be in Melbourne as we have friends there and really liked the area when we spent 4 weeks there 2 years ago.

Regards

Nigel M

£6k I'd expect the flights in with that!. That's seriously expensive.

If you do go for a student visa, then just apply yourself. Save the cash for an agent when she is qualified and you need to apply for your next visa.