Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

No more immigrant workers at the moment...

No more immigrant workers at the moment...

Old Oct 25th 2008, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all
Default No more immigrant workers at the moment...

Talking to my boss last night, I work for a very large engineering firm in Perth, currently there's still a lot of work on, but he informed me the company has put a halt to employing immigrant workers on permanent and 457 visas for now due to current conditions. They're one of the biggest firms in their field in the world, so things must be serious to halt all immigration as they've previously been activly employing people from the likes of the UK, and I imagine most other firms would be doing the same. I can see it being very hard to get into Australia from now on.
Old Oct 25th 2008, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Petals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond reputePetals has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No more immigrant workers at the moment...

I guess everyone is waiting to see what happens. I personally think that there is to be a big shake out just been reading that the hedge funds are selling their stock as they are being burnt.

In my opinion its the hedge funds that started he ball rolling down the alley when some smart accountant thought them up.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 1:07 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimbo_d
Talking to my boss last night, I work for a very large engineering firm in Perth, currently there's still a lot of work on, but he informed me the company has put a halt to employing immigrant workers on permanent and 457 visas for now due to current conditions. They're one of the biggest firms in their field in the world, so things must be serious to halt all immigration as they've previously been activly employing people from the likes of the UK, and I imagine most other firms would be doing the same. I can see it being very hard to get into Australia from now on.
So what you're saying is that the company you work for is not offering sponsorships anymore. Not that they won't employ immigrants. The title of your thread makes it sound like there are no jobs for immigrants.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 4:14 am
Just Joined

wheep0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Latest I heard from my extremely reliable source in Canberra ws everyone less than 18 months into their 457 was getting chucked out by Xmas, no new applications for PR status unless you have an uncle called Claude and all citizenship applications are being asked to fly to Mumbai to take the oath there as apparently its cheaper for the processing paperwork..
He overheard this in the Canberra DIAC male toilets between cubicle 1 and 3 !, he`s normally reliable.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 4:57 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wheep0
Latest I heard from my extremely reliable source in Canberra ws everyone less than 18 months into their 457 was getting chucked out by Xmas, no new applications for PR status unless you have an uncle called Claude and all citizenship applications are being asked to fly to Mumbai to take the oath there as apparently its cheaper for the processing paperwork..
He overheard this in the Canberra DIAC male toilets between cubicle 1 and 3 !, he`s normally reliable.
Ah, you gotta love a good rumour, don't ya?
Old Oct 26th 2008, 5:31 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

I think if that were true there would a hell of a lot of legal challenges. Also, how is Australian business going to continue if they kick out the skilled workers?
Old Oct 26th 2008, 5:41 am
Melbourne - NE suburbs

DownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond reputeDownUnderPaddy has a reputation beyond repute

I heard George Michael was in cubicle 2 giving both of them a good time.
He is also reputed to be pretty reliable

Last edited by DownUnderPaddy; Oct 26th 2008 at 5:47 am.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 5:46 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

P.s. this could have been a good wind up post but you had to go too far with 'unless you have an uncle called Claude' shame
Old Oct 26th 2008, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
P.s. this could have been a good wind up post but you had to go too far with 'unless you have an uncle called Claude' shame
Yeah and 'Broome' would have been more believable than Mumbai!

Like the thought behind it though. Interestingly I've read a few times in the papers recently suggestions that the current immigration limits may possibly be moved downwards in the next few years.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 11:48 am
Still alive

The downsizing in immigration numbers is a normal ebb and flow type thing. A few years ago numbers were increased. Like anything it goes in cycles. Needs change and with it comes either increased or decreased need for a country to import residents. I'm sure in the long run the numbers will increase again, just as interest rates will go up again, the dollar will gain and unemployment will go down.
Old Oct 26th 2008, 11:57 am
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7691546.stm