Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

No longer a tourist

No longer a tourist

Old May 27th 2007, 1:55 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default No longer a tourist

I just thought I would share with you a thought that struck me last night while chatting at the Drive-in.

When we first came over many of things we used to do on a regular basis are a rarity now we are settled into our new lives and no longer seeing things through the eyes of a tourist.

Hillarys then - Upmarket seaside resort.
Hillarys now - Shops selling over-priced tourist tat to beetroot-red poms in their chav gear.

The Boat at Mindarie then - Good pub grub, English beer in a wonderful setting overlooking Mindarie Harbour, can watch the sunset go down
The Boat at Mindarie now -Very average food by Perth standards, full of poms in soccer tops, some of the slowest / rudest service in Perth

The beach then - mile after mile of golden beaches, not at all busy, great for getting a tan and bodyboarding.
The beach now - Generally try and keep out of the sun these days (skin cancer, sunburn), waves good enough to bodyboard are rare, once the Doctor is around from midday get sandblasted.

Okay, a lot of that is exaggeration / tongue-in-cheek for effect but you get the point? And don't worry, I haven't gone off Perth overnight - I still love it, it is just that it means different things to me now than it did when I got off the plane all pastey-looking 18 months ago.
Old May 27th 2007, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No longer a tourist

Originally Posted by worzel
I just thought I would share with you a thought that struck me last night while chatting at the Drive-in.

When we first came over many of things we used to do on a regular basis are a rarity now we are settled into our new lives and no longer seeing things through the eyes of a tourist.

Hillarys then - Upmarket seaside resort.
Hillarys now - Shops selling over-priced tourist tat to beetroot-red poms in their chav gear.

The Boat at Mindarie then - Good pub grub, English beer in a wonderful setting overlooking Mindarie Harbour, can watch the sunset go down
The Boat at Mindarie now -Very average food by Perth standards, full of poms in soccer tops, some of the slowest / rudest service in Perth

The beach then - mile after mile of golden beaches, not at all busy, great for getting a tan and bodyboarding.
The beach now - Generally try and keep out of the sun these days (skin cancer, sunburn), waves good enough to bodyboard are rare, once the Doctor is around from midday get sandblasted.

Okay, a lot of that is exaggeration / tongue-in-cheek for effect but you get the point? And don't worry, I haven't gone off Perth overnight - I still love it, it is just that it means different things to me now than it did when I got off the plane all pastey-looking 18 months ago.
Oh dear, I can sense a battle starting here. The normal culprits will jump on you for daring to slate Perth in anyway whatsoever :-))

We still love the beaches though, no sandblasting effect over here in beautiful Queensland :-))
Old May 27th 2007, 4:32 am
lol
Forum Regular

lol has a brilliant futurelol has a brilliant futurelol has a brilliant futurelol has a brilliant futurelol has a brilliant futurelol has a brilliant future

my god worsel !! i do think you've turned a corner....the new honest opinions... suits you glad to here no sandblast in qld we're heading over soon
Old May 27th 2007, 5:01 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by worzel
......and so say all of us. Everyone used to tell me how good The Boat was, cant see it myself, not been for about 12 months, last time we went to Mindarie, we didnt bother with The Boat at all.
Old May 27th 2007, 5:16 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lol
my god worsel !! i do think you've turned a corner....the new honest opinions... suits you glad to here no sandblast in qld we're heading over soon
To be fair, I have been writing honest posts, with the best intentions on here for years. I got a lot out of reading posts like I write before I came out so feel an obligation to do the same for those guys on their way.

You just happened to become a regular on here at a time when I was particularly narked and posted some strong anti-anti-Perth threads (if you get what I mean).

To claim I have started writing genuine ones because they just happen to fit with your opinion is not fair.

Edit - I love Perth, but it is not perfect, nowhere is. I rate it 9.5 out of 10 which is why 95 in every 100 posts are pro-Perth.

Last edited by worzel; May 27th 2007 at 5:20 am.