Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

No jobs here so I am going home...update

No jobs here so I am going home...update

Old Oct 10th 2014, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

alexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond reputealexleeson has a reputation beyond repute
Default No jobs here so I am going home...update

Hi everyone,

As promised here is my update. I have been back in the UK a few weeks now.

I am experiencing something I never had in Australia - the feeling of being home. Everything is going well, I returned to lovely weather (low 20s), work turned out to be full of nice people and I have no commute... just a 10 minutes walk to the office.

The only adjustment has been moving into a much smaller place - but I am used to it already. I can only imagine what it will be like when the furniture gets here. Other than rent/petrol, most things are cheaper than Oz - with some food items & utilities half the price. I

The only things I miss so far are the bigger parking spaces and pay wave everywhere.

Other than that - it is not hugely different. I am enjoying the feeling of being in the middle of things (close to London and Europe) and not marooned on a huge faraway island (which is how I felt deep down for the last few years). I know it is ironic considering UK is a much much smaller island and Australia is a continent!

As previously said, Australia is a nice place to live and England is a nice place to live - its just horses for courses.

Original post - below:
Originally Posted by alexleeson
After over 12 months of not being able to secure a professional role here, I decided to enquire about jobs in the UK and 3 weeks later I got a job.

I am a risk and audit professional. I was made redundant (they closed the whole division down) in July 2013. In 13 months I sent over 300 applications all over Oz, called companies directly, saw over 20 recruiters, exhausted my network and attended 'networking events'. I had a meagre 3 interviews all of which were due to contacts and in all cases they went with someone less experienced and younger (I am only 37!).

I started to suspect that companies are just preferring younger less experienced and therefore, cheaper staff and do not value experience.
I was told by recruiters there are in excess of 100 people for each managerial job. It knocked my confidence and I felt that this job market didn't appreciate my skills and background.

Having exhausted savings, laden with debt and been told by the bank to sell the house or get repossessed, I casually called two recruiters in the UK. In a week I had my name put forward for six jobs. I had three initial skype interviews and by the third week, after a final interview - a job in my preferred location and industry and matching my previous salary ($150k). I didn't even think I could get such a salary in the UK - so I am very happy about it.

So in September I head back home. I have been here almost 8 years - but my Australian dream turned into a big nightmare of debt due to no job prospects. When I sell I have just enough equity to cover debts so I am literally starting with zero in the UK.

We are all actually looking forward to the UK, my wife especially. It is a chance to start over again. I am looking forward to proximity to Europe, the sense of history and being able to go walking/hiking again. My first walking trip in Oz was a disaster (think tiger snake and encounter with a huntsman!) - so I never went hiking again and it made me hate being outdoors here.

I am looking forward to the downsizing as having a big house and lot was so much harder work/costly than I ever imagined. In some respects I didn't fit in here (I hate hot weather, the outdoors, beer and sport! ) but I did make some good friends and I loved winter here (Melbourne). The kids were in a fantastic school here and I am sure they will miss it - but the fact was I couldn't afford it next year anyway. I am so glad that I was strict with the kids accents and use of language - they don't have one iota of an Ozzie twang or use Ozzie slang - which may help when they get back. My wife always said we would end up returning to the UK based solely on the fact I couldn't bear my kids having Ozzie accents.

Well that is my diatribe!I have had a roller-coaster of up and up and then down with a crash. Now I am going home. No so much with a heavy heart but a bit of disappointment it didn't end so well. I have realised that both the UK and Australia are great places to live and both have things to offer. I am glad I got to experience life here rather than always wondering if the grass is greener.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

rabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond reputerabble_rouser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No jobs here so I am going home...update

Yet I find Australia so much smaller than England. You can walk anywhere here, anything that's anything is close by; there is nothing in between the dots.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 2:04 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabble_rouser
Yet I find Australia so much smaller than England. You can walk anywhere here, anything that's anything is close by; there is nothing in between the dots.
As long as you can cope with the heat......I'd rather walk to places in the UK than here, anyday.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 6:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

So glad to hear that things have fallen into place for you! It's so much easier to walk places in UK - and, what's more, so many people actually do walk rather than hop in the car to get to next door! Hope the good vibes continue!
Old Oct 10th 2014, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

Rachelanna has a brilliant futureRachelanna has a brilliant futureRachelanna has a brilliant futureRachelanna has a brilliant futureRachelanna has a brilliant futureRachelanna has a brilliant future

A lot of it comes down to timing, doesn't it. None of us choose where or when we are born and those who are able to switch countries when things are not going well are the fortunate ones.
A young professional couple in my family made the move to the UK in early 2008 and were able to transfer with their multi-national companies. By Christmas both had been made redundant and masses of Aussies were heading home. They persevered and eventually found new positions, had their few years enjoying Europe but came home when they had children because having family nearby became important (cannot babysit via skype!!)
They probably came home a bit later than ideal and one of them had took months to find a job (had turned 40 and was shocked, like you, that that may have been a factor)
It seems to be working out for them, not to say they don't miss lots about the UK.
I hope all goes well for you.
Old Oct 11th 2014, 11:26 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone,

As promised here is my update. I have been back in the UK a few weeks now.

I am experiencing something I never had in Australia - the feeling of being home. Everything is going well, I returned to lovely weather (low 20s), work turned out to be full of nice people and I have no commute... just a 10 minutes walk to the office.

The only adjustment has been moving into a much smaller place - but I am used to it already. I can only imagine what it will be like when the furniture gets here. Other than rent/petrol, most things are cheaper than Oz - with some food items & utilities half the price. I

The only things I miss so far are the bigger parking spaces and pay wave everywhere.

Other than that - it is not hugely different. I am enjoying the feeling of being in the middle of things (close to London and Europe) and not marooned on a huge faraway island (which is how I felt deep down for the last few years). I know it is ironic considering UK is a much much smaller island and Australia is a continent!

As previously said, Australia is a nice place to live and England is a nice place to live - its just horses for courses.

Original post - below:
Alex, I'm so glad that your move home and your job has been everything you hoped for. I read your original post at the time, and I had a lot of admiration for the way you and your family faced some pretty tough times. Fantastic to hear that life's good for you all again.

Thank you also for not slagging or writing off Australia as a good country to live in, as occasionally happens with returnees. I think your objective and thoughtful posts will both help and comfort a lot of people.

All the best for you and your family's future.
Old Oct 11th 2014, 2:01 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

I am experiencing something I never had in Australia - the feeling of being home.

I always wonder whether the fact that I enjoy the UK so much (and really long to live in Bournemouth again...) has at least a bit to do with being in Europe, in the heart of everything. That's not to say that Australia is in the middle of nowhere - it's certainly in a more interesting part of the world than the Americas, at least IMO.

I would say though that at least in my eyes Australia is quite different from a social perspective, from the high street to pubs and all, it feels much different to be in the UK than in Oz. Same with the media, tv, newspapers and all. Sports too.

Now the "feeling of being home" aspect isn't that important to me, what matters a whole lot more is the "feeling of being comfortable with where you're at," basically being where you feel best. To me Singapore has felt like home - but more importantly as where I want to be - for many years. Even as a Westerner ("white bloke") I would fly into London and feel kind of out of sorts... until I ventured into Chinatown and suddenly felt good and relaxed again. Can't really explain it.

My wife has a lot of Japanese friends (she stands out as the only blonde in their pictures together), and they all explicitly state that they can never imagine going back home to Japan and living there again. Of course it will always be where they're from, but once they venture out and experience the world, many of them feel part of it to such an extent that the world at large becomes home to them (probably due to the isolation factor there). They're eager to see more, live elsewhere...

The UK is different though, even those who venture out into Spain get homesick and miss the way of life back in England.
Old Oct 11th 2014, 2:14 pm

astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

I know it is ironic considering UK is a much much smaller island and Australia is a continent!
Forgot to mention - do you think that New Zealand is smaller than the UK?
Old Oct 11th 2014, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
I always wonder whether the fact that I enjoy the UK so much (and really long to live in Bournemouth again...) has at least a bit to do with being in Europe, in the heart of everything. That's not to say that Australia is in the middle of nowhere - it's certainly in a more interesting part of the world than the Americas, at least IMO.

I would say though that at least in my eyes Australia is quite different from a social perspective, from the high street to pubs and all, it feels much different to be in the UK than in Oz. Same with the media, tv, newspapers and all. Sports too.

Now the "feeling of being home" aspect isn't that important to me, what matters a whole lot more is the "feeling of being comfortable with where you're at," basically being where you feel best. To me Singapore has felt like home - but more importantly as where I want to be - for many years. Even as a Westerner ("white bloke") I would fly into London and feel kind of out of sorts... until I ventured into Chinatown and suddenly felt good and relaxed again. Can't really explain it.

My wife has a lot of Japanese friends (she stands out as the only blonde in their pictures together), and they all explicitly state that they can never imagine going back home to Japan and living there again. Of course it will always be where they're from, but once they venture out and experience the world, many of them feel part of it to such an extent that the world at large becomes home to them (probably due to the isolation factor there). They're eager to see more, live elsewhere...

The UK is different though, even those who venture out into Spain get homesick and miss the way of life back in England.
It also takes a bit of getting used to. After a year of living the UK you might not feel the need to venture to Chinatown to get your homely fix.

When I lived in the UK, I used to come to Oz for a holiday. After 4 weeks I was ready to go home. Now living in Oz I get the reverse when I visit the UK. After 3 or 4 weeks I'm ready to go home.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Beoz
It also takes a bit of getting used to. After a year of living the UK you might not feel the need to venture to Chinatown to get your homely fix.

When I lived in the UK, I used to come to Oz for a holiday. After 4 weeks I was ready to go home. Now living in Oz I get the reverse when I visit the UK. After 3 or 4 weeks I'm ready to go home.
When I visit the UK I feel like staying, even with a decent amount of time left on my lease elsewhere. And I always promise myself that I will be back sooner rather than later. And for longer...

My Chinatown "fix" can be attributed to two factors really, that A) I don't feel comfortable in London and would never be there if not for business - instead I would have been on a coach from LHR to Bournemouth straight away -and- B) I am flying into London from SIN in February when it is cold and rainy, so not a very hospitable welcome.