British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   No jobs here so I am going home..... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/no-jobs-here-so-i-am-going-home-842426/)

alexleeson Sep 4th 2014 1:52 am

No jobs here so I am going home.....

A whinging pom here ;)
After over 12 months of not being able to secure a professional role here, I decided to enquire about jobs in the UK and 3 weeks later I got a job.

I am a risk and audit professional. I was made redundant (they closed the whole division down) in July 2013. In 13 months I sent over 300 applications all over Oz, called companies directly, saw over 20 recruiters, exhausted my network and attended 'networking events'. I had a meagre 3 interviews all of which were due to contacts and in all cases they went with someone less experienced and younger (I am only 37!).

I started to suspect that companies are just preferring younger less experienced and therefore, cheaper staff and do not value experience.
I was told by recruiters there are in excess of 100 people for each managerial job. It knocked my confidence and I felt that this job market didn't appreciate my skills and background.

Having exhausted savings, laden with debt and been told by the bank to sell the house or get repossessed, I casually called two recruiters in the UK. In a week I had my name put forward for six jobs. I had three initial skype interviews and by the third week, after a final interview - a job in my preferred location and industry and matching my previous salary ($150k). I didn't even think I could get such a salary in the UK - so I am very happy about it.

So in October I head back home. I have been here almost 8 years - but my Australian dream turned into a big nightmare of debt due to no job prospects.:( When I sell I have just enough equity to cover debts so I am literally starting with zero in the UK.

We are all actually looking forward to the UK, my wife especially. It is a chance to start over again. I am looking forward to proximity to Europe, the sense of history and being able to go walking/hiking again. My first walking trip in Oz was a disaster (think tiger snake and encounter with a huntsman!) - so I never went hiking again and it made me hate being outdoors here.

I am looking forward to the downsizing as having a big house and lot was so much harder work/costly than I ever imagined. In some respects I didn't fit in here (I hate hot weather, the outdoors, beer and sport! ) but I did make some good friends and I loved winter here (Melbourne). The kids were in a fantastic school here and I am sure they will miss it - but the fact was I couldn't afford it next year anyway. I am so glad that I was strict with the kids accents and use of language - they don't have one iota of an Ozzie twang or use Ozzie slang - which may help when they get back. My wife always said we would end up returning to the UK based solely on the fact I couldn't bear my kids having Ozzie accents. :lol:

Well that is my diatribe!I have had a roller-coaster of up and up and then down with a crash. Now I am going home. No so much with a heavy heart but a bit of disappointment it didn't end so well. I have realised that both the UK and Australia are great places to live and both have things to offer. I am glad I got to experience life here rather than always wondering if the grass is greener.

Beoz Sep 4th 2014 2:52 am

Re: No jobs here so I am going home.....

Adios and best of luck

Out of curiosity what do you class as an equivalent $150K salary?

Amazulu Sep 4th 2014 3:01 am

Originally Posted by alexleeson (Post 11391928)
A whinging pom here ;)
After over 12 months of not being able to secure a professional role here, I decided to enquire about jobs in the UK and 3 weeks later I got a job.

I am a risk and audit professional. I was made redundant (they closed the whole division down) in July 2013. In 13 months I sent over 300 applications all over Oz, called companies directly, saw over 20 recruiters, exhausted my network and attended 'networking events'. I had a meagre 3 interviews all of which were due to contacts and in all cases they went with someone less experienced and younger (I am only 37!).

I started to suspect that companies are just preferring younger less experienced and therefore, cheaper staff and do not value experience.
I was told by recruiters there are in excess of 100 people for each managerial job. It knocked my confidence and I felt that this job market didn't appreciate my skills and background.

Having exhausted savings, laden with debt and been told by the bank to sell the house or get repossessed, I casually called two recruiters in the UK. In a week I had my name put forward for six jobs. I had three initial skype interviews and by the third week, after a final interview - a job in my preferred location and industry and matching my previous salary ($150k). I didn't even think I could get such a salary in the UK - so I am very happy about it.

So in October I head back home. I have been here almost 8 years - but my Australian dream turned into a big nightmare of debt due to no job prospects.:( When I sell I have just enough equity to cover debts so I am literally starting with zero in the UK.

We are all actually looking forward to the UK, my wife especially. It is a chance to start over again. I am looking forward to proximity to Europe, the sense of history and being able to go walking/hiking again. My first walking trip in Oz was a disaster (think tiger snake and encounter with a huntsman!) - so I never went hiking again and it made me hate being outdoors here.

I am looking forward to the downsizing as having a big house and lot was so much harder work/costly than I ever imagined. In some respects I didn't fit in here (I hate hot weather, the outdoors, beer and sport! ) but I did make some good friends and I loved winter here (Melbourne). The kids were in a fantastic school here and I am sure they will miss it - but the fact was I couldn't afford it next year anyway. I am so glad that I was strict with the kids accents and use of language - they don't have one iota of an Ozzie twang or use Ozzie slang - which may help when they get back. My wife always said we would end up returning to the UK based solely on the fact I couldn't bear my kids having Ozzie accents. :lol:

Well that is my diatribe!I have had a roller-coaster of up and up and then down with a crash. Now I am going home. No so much with a heavy heart but a bit of disappointment it didn't end so well. I have realised that both the UK and Australia are great places to live and both have things to offer. I am glad I got to experience life here rather than always wondering if the grass is greener.

Good luck

I've also been offered jobs in the UK (out of the blue) and at the moment, in my field, there are more opportunities over there

alexleeson Sep 4th 2014 3:29 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 11391969)
Adios and best of luck

Out of curiosity what do you class as an equivalent $150K salary?

Is this a trick question?! My package in the UK is GBP90k incl. company car, based in M4 corridor so I get to avoid London too thankfully.

Beoz Sep 4th 2014 5:28 am

Originally Posted by alexleeson (Post 11391992)
Is this a trick question?! My package in the UK is GBP90k incl. company car, based in M4 corridor so I get to avoid London too thankfully.

Not really. I'm just curious as to what people regard as a salary exchange. Yep 90k UK certainly trumps 150k AU.

You will certainly find a bigger market in the UK for your line of work than you will in Oz.

BadgeIsBack Sep 4th 2014 5:37 am

A whinging pom here ;)

Good to hear it worked out for you.

You are doing well if there is not an iota of a twang! An interesting one.
I've always said accents vary and there is a whole category of nicer accents you can hear on kids and adults alike.

As a matter of fact, I don't mind an Australian accent, or slang, but I do draw the line around the edges. So a bogan accent is out, but an educated accent is fine. I actually consider a nice Australian accent to be superior to a poor regional English accent. Much better diction and people talk in complete sentences rather than a stilted jabber.

quoll Sep 4th 2014 5:48 am

Excellent news for you! I hope it works out well for you all!

Buzzy--Bee Sep 4th 2014 5:58 am

A whinging pom here ;)..............I have realised that both the UK and Australia are great places to live and both have things to offer. I am glad I got to experience life here rather than always wondering if the grass is greener.

I don't think you're whinging at all.

I think you are making an informed decision based on the current circumstances and it doesn't sound like there's any regrets or worse, blame, apportioned to anyone or any location for the turn of events.

I wish you the best of luck back in the UK.

BB

Bermudashorts Sep 4th 2014 7:16 am

Job market for accountants is brutal here at the moment .. still see some hopefuls in the immigration forum thinking they might get sponsorship though. :o

All the best for your return, sounds like you have landed on your feet in the end.

ozzieeagle Sep 4th 2014 7:47 am

Best of luck and I'm sure your making the right decision for you. Only gripe from me. scared of Huntsmen spiders, really ?? I guess they dont look the best, but they are totally harmless and whats more, really good for the environment.

Enjoy the UK mate and Europe, on the latter I'm a tad envious.

commonwealth Sep 4th 2014 10:36 am

i wanna give you a big hug and good luck

rabble_rouser Sep 4th 2014 10:50 am

8 years is a good stint, I'll be surprised if I manage that.

spouse of scouse Sep 4th 2014 12:53 pm

A whinging pom here ;)

You've had one hell of an adventure, Alex! Your post didn't contain one iota of whinging, on the contrary, it was a story of perseverance and courage in the face of adversity, and a very level headed assessment of your circumstances.

I'm glad for you and your family that you gave Oz a go, it was something that you wanted and you gave it your very best shot. You obviously have great skills and experience, to be offered such a good job long distance.

Enjoy planning your new beginning, and don't be a stranger! Do let us know how you're getting on back home and I wish you and your family all the luck and happiness in the world :starsmile:

alexleeson Sep 4th 2014 1:01 pm

Thanks for the kind words everyone.. I was just thinking that in a couple of months time, I will log on and say how I am doing.

alexleeson Sep 4th 2014 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 11392153)
Best of luck and I'm sure your making the right decision for you. Only gripe from me. scared of Huntsmen spiders, really ?? I guess they dont look the best, but they are totally harmless and whats more, really good for the environment.

Enjoy the UK mate and Europe, on the latter I'm a tad envious.

I am terrified of spiders in general.. even the little ones, in fact anything with more than six legs, so to be confronted with a huge one in my first month was freaky. I once decided to give the garage a clean with a broom only to find a redback on the broom handle - :eek: unfortunately I had the house keys with me and was so terrified I threw the broom and keys into the garage and got the heck out of there - locking the door behind me!!! I had to wait about two hours for my wife to get home to get in the house - she had a good laugh though.