Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

no import duties for returning Aussies

Wikiposts

no import duties for returning Aussies

Old Feb 20th 2005, 2:49 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default no import duties for returning Aussies

PurLeaaaaase tell me this means we don`t have to pay import duties if we decide to take our car back (as I am a returning Aussie). I found this nugget while browsing www.excessbaggage.com :

"At the time of writing, returning Australian residents are entitled to duty free entry on goods which they have owned and used overseas for a period of twelve months or more preceding their departure for Australia."
Old Feb 20th 2005, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

mrladyboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: no import duties for returning Aussies

Originally Posted by Stormz
PurLeaaaaase tell me this means we don`t have to pay import duties if we decide to take our car back (as I am a returning Aussie). I found this nugget while browsing www.excessbaggage.com :

"At the time of writing, returning Australian residents are entitled to duty free entry on goods which they have owned and used overseas for a period of twelve months or more preceding their departure for Australia."
We are UK passport holders, so the rules may be different, but I looked into importing our car when we moved over. The rule was the same - if we had owned the car for 12 months for our own use in the UK, we could import it duty free as a 'personal import'. It was on the ATO website at the time. Sorry it's a bit vague - this was 2 years ago.

One thing to bear in mind... imports are less desirable than an equivalent local car, and shippers aren't known for their care and attention.