Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

No house to sell and no money!!!!!

No house to sell and no money!!!!!

Old Sep 24th 2003, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

barbs is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face No house to sell and no money!!!!!

Hi all,

many or most of you out there seem to be house owners in the UK. My partner and I are living in Ireland (hes british Im Irish)......we got back from a year working holiday visa in Oz in March........we were lucky to go straight into jobs however we are not house owners and are paying off debts from our year away.....we will be debit free by march, we applied for skills assesment yesterday.......we will have to do the bond thing to get PR.....it will take all our resources to raise this money and as we are looking to move to oz we are not intending to buy house here.........Im not sure if any of you no the housing situation in Ireland, its worse the the UK and even on par if not worse than London......therefore Im paniking a bit about not getting on the property ladder here especially if oz PR does not work out
I was just wondering if there are any of you out there who moved to Oz without having sold a house first (and having the money raised by the house)
Also on a general note you are very lucky that you are not in the Euro as the value of sterling is just brilliant when you get to oz
Anway I was just looking for some feedback on this.....and maybe some positive comments to help me ease my concerns
Im 28 and my boyfriend is 30
I dont regret doing the travelling thing but it certainly has its draw backs !!

By the way any of you who have not been to oz, it is worth it (or so I keep telling myself)!!!!!!!!!
Thanks
Barbs
Old Sep 25th 2003, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Bidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really nice
Smile

Hi Barbs

I'm also living in Ireland and know what you mean about the housing market... My partner (28) and I (26) returned from Oz in March 2001 after a year there and have wanted to return to Oz ever since. We've engaged an agent and I'm waiting on my partner to get the skills assessment docs together to send it off. At this stage with house prices continuously rising I have been considering buying a house just in case the PR thing doesn't work out but as my partner doesn't want to buy I'm thinking of going ahead and buying on my own. At the same time I afraid to get tied up in debt in case everything works out and two years from now we're heading for Oz (in which case we'll be heading off with no house to sell!). Sorry I can't really give any advice on the situation but its nice to know there's someone in a similar predicament!

Take care & good luck with the skills assessment!

Bidd
Old Sep 26th 2003, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

barbs is an unknown quantity at this point

yes Bidd,

it is nice to know someone else is in the same situation, where would you move to in oz??? also what occupation are you, will you have to invest the bond like we are going to have to, get your skills assesment off asap because its a long wait for PR if this site is anything to go by

Barbs
Old Sep 26th 2003, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

colinnsam is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guy's,

Just to let you know you can do it, not quite the same situation as i have OZ citizenship. I did'nt own any property in England, i worked 3 job's for a year to pay for us (wife and 2 kids) to migrate. Did we do the right thing, only time will tell.

Good luck

Colin
Old Sep 26th 2003, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by barbs
yes Bidd,

it is nice to know someone else is in the same situation, where would you move to in oz??? also what occupation are you, will you have to invest the bond like we are going to have to, get your skills assesment off asap because its a long wait for PR if this site is anything to go by

Barbs
Hi Barbs - try to get the skills assessment off ASAP as these too can take a long time. (my NOOSR assessment took 3 months, his IEaust was quite quick - 3 weeks). You could start by getting all the paperwork which you need for all your applications (skills for self and hubby, plus main application) sorted now - ask for references etc. Then get it all photocopied twice (as you need to send copies of everything you need for your skills with the main application, saves you going back again) and see a solicitor etc. to get it countersigned. We took quite a while to get all this done.
Good luck with everything - keep asking questions!
Larissa
Old Sep 26th 2003, 3:20 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No house to sell and no money!!!!!

[hi barbs,
I yhink this was discussed in a previous thread. no, not everyone is in the position of having a house to sell to fund their move. Its a case of saving, saving, saving and when you have saved enough then you go. we dont have a house to sell, so are saving as much as possible until we apply, probably in 2-3 yearrs time. we both work sevral jobs (he does 2, I have 3 now) and are doing it with extortionate childcare costs too. I have debts run up from taking a year out to travel 8 years ago (i know, 8 years!!) which I am almost on top of now, but unfortunately ran up a student loan after leaving uni this year. I am 36 and my partner is nearly 40, so time is running out, but we will give it a go!
good luck!!!

sue

QUOTE]Originally posted by barbs
Hi all,

many or most of you out there seem to be house owners in the UK. My partner and I are living in Ireland (hes british Im Irish)......we got back from a year working holiday visa in Oz in March........we were lucky to go straight into jobs however we are not house owners and are paying off debts from our year away.....we will be debit free by march, we applied for skills assesment yesterday.......we will have to do the bond thing to get PR.....it will take all our resources to raise this money and as we are looking to move to oz we are not intending to buy house here.........Im not sure if any of you no the housing situation in Ireland, its worse the the UK and even on par if not worse than London......therefore Im paniking a bit about not getting on the property ladder here especially if oz PR does not work out
I was just wondering if there are any of you out there who moved to Oz without having sold a house first (and having the money raised by the house)
Also on a general note you are very lucky that you are not in the Euro as the value of sterling is just brilliant when you get to oz
Anway I was just looking for some feedback on this.....and maybe some positive comments to help me ease my concerns
Im 28 and my boyfriend is 30
I dont regret doing the travelling thing but it certainly has its draw backs !!

By the way any of you who have not been to oz, it is worth it (or so I keep telling myself)!!!!!!!!!
Thanks
Barbs [/QUOTE]
Old Sep 26th 2003, 11:38 pm
Hello Sydney Oct 1

amaslam is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Similar situation

I have no house to sell, but do have some cash saved up. I have no debts so I'm going with as free a mind as possible. I will be arriving with a job to start two weeks later.

You just have to be careful about your cash flow at the beginning (you'll need a bed and food and cleaning supplies right away, but you can hold off on the TV and the stereo for a bit). Then once you know how much things will cost you typically you will know if you have enough to keep you going (and preferably enough to save bit too). If you find you don't have enough you might have to scramble or work an extra job, and that's entirely up to you how much you want to stay.

The question of what's "enough" really depends on individuals. You can be making six figures and be miserable or making 4 figures and having the time of your life. Standard definition is enough to pay rent, food, utilities, and 10% to save a bit for the unexpected (typical recommendation is to build a 3-6 month emergency fund - six months of living expenses).

The best cushion is a good amount of savings. It smooths any bumps you encounter along the way.
Old Sep 27th 2003, 12:02 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife I arrived with $14,000 worth of savings. We were kucky because the MIL put up with us for a couple of months. I was working within 4 weeks so the savings paid for a car.

You will have initial setup costs as most rental property is unfurnished. Bring along some references from previous landlords.

To save up we lived in a cheap crappy flat but it has all been worth it.

How quickly do you think you can get work and where are you planning on going?

PS For those who have not been to OZ and are planning on emigrating make sure you have a get out policy. The place is not for everyones liking.
Old Sep 27th 2003, 3:14 am
Just Joined

bessie is an unknown quantity at this point

hi not to b too negative,but we have been in brisbane now for three months,we came with about 14000 pounds,and are now struggling to find a house under $200000 ,yes i know we can get a unit for about 160 or a small town house in a complex for about 200,but we came over here hoping to buy a house in a nice part of brisbane,but all we can afford house wise is in logan which is about 25 km from brisbane and not very nice.wages here r crap as well ,i'm a sparky and get $16.09 an hour,my wife worked as an admin ass. in uk here they also want u to do accounting etc.etc., so she still has no job.
also when you live in a unit or townhouse complex(which they all r) u have to pay a body corporate fee every quarter,however u do get $7000 from the goverment for first time home buyers,but not for new houses.
anyway hope this helps.
ian and paula.

aus/uk same shit different bucket
Old Sep 28th 2003, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Bidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really niceBidd is just really nice
Smile

Barbs, to answer your question my partner is a Graphic Pre Press tradesperson. My occupation is not on the skilled occupations list unfortunately (legal secretary). As he has been working since we came home he'll make the "three out of four years" requirement by the time we send in the PR application and will get extra points for that - just as well cos there wouldn't be a hope of us getting the bond money together. We're planning on heading to Sydney. We spent a good bit of time there last time and loved it. I suppose having read everyone else's responses to this post the best thing for me to do might be to hold off on buying the house and getting into more debt and just save, save, save even if it means another job! What's your occupation?

Bidd
Old Sep 28th 2003, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

I would be realistic and do yourself a budget based on current rentals, and save if possible.

we have done a budget based on the following :-

Shipping cost
Travel including flights and spending money
Rent for 6 months @ $200 per week
money to live off for 6 months
cheap car with stamp duty
tv

Bessie, are thier not minimum awards for tradesmen out there ?

I am also thinking of having a fund for a good accountant and solicitor to know all my rights etc.
Old Sep 28th 2003, 11:05 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Bidd
Barbs, to answer your question my partner is a Graphic Pre Press tradesperson. My occupation is not on the skilled occupations list unfortunately (legal secretary). As he has been working since we came home he'll make the "three out of four years" requirement by the time we send in the PR application and will get extra points for that - just as well cos there wouldn't be a hope of us getting the bond money together. We're planning on heading to Sydney. We spent a good bit of time there last time and loved it. I suppose having read everyone else's responses to this post the best thing for me to do might be to hold off on buying the house and getting into more debt and just save, save, save even if it means another job! What's your occupation?

Bidd
Good to see another potential Sydneysider. It is a great city to live in. Because of all the property people have invested in the market is for good for renters.

What suburb are you heading for?
Old Sep 28th 2003, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Smile

Hi Bondipom

Haven't fully decided yet. We lived in Enmore last time and liked it. Close to the city for work, local pubs were good craic and liked the atmosphere in Newtown. Not sure whether we should try somewhere different this time but I think we'd both be really happy if we stayed there again. You like living in Bondi? I'd like to live near the ocean. Have you been there long?

Bidd
Old Sep 28th 2003, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Good luck with it all. If you want to go out there that much, you will find a way to make the finances work.
Hope the Skills Assessment goes through quickly.
Old Sep 28th 2003, 5:58 pm
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

can certainly do the move to OZ without a house to sell .Especially if there are two of you to share expenses there- so that if one is working(say within the first couple of months)at least you have an income.When you were there on WHV how did you fare in regards to what you earned and how you lived -compare that to a perminent move.

where abouts in ireland are you?Have seen the prices for Dublin and surrounding areas and it certainly is crazy the money involved for a first time buyer and a huge commitment-and the market seems to have been continually on the rise-any sign of the bubble bursting yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.