Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

no house to sell!!

no house to sell!!

Old Mar 8th 2005, 4:42 pm
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold
Default no house to sell!!

Hi Guys, reading through the message board and im get extremely concerned!!!! my husband and I are hope to get the ok for our visas and just going to up and go for it, we currently have a council house which we hope to buy and rent out, however if this dosnt happen were still going. We totally mad im sure cause we havent got any savings yet...was just going to sell everything, arrange to rent and hopefully my husband wont find if hard to get a job, hes a car mechanic which is on the wanted list. tell me ARE WE MAD??? I cant stop worrying. cheers then
Old Mar 8th 2005, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

scissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond reputescissors has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: no house to sell!!

Originally Posted by Dawn
Hi Guys, reading through the message board and im get extremely concerned!!!! my husband and I are hope to get the ok for our visas and just going to up and go for it, we currently have a council house which we hope to buy and rent out, however if this dosnt happen were still going. We totally mad im sure cause we havent got any savings yet...was just going to sell everything, arrange to rent and hopefully my husband wont find if hard to get a job, hes a car mechanic which is on the wanted list. tell me ARE WE MAD??? I cant stop worrying. cheers then
MAD MAD MAD,lol, go for it, if thats what you want,sometimes you ve just got to take the risk havent you,and if you buy your council house and rent it out you ll have a good investment for the future and an income

good luck,tracey
Old Mar 8th 2005, 4:53 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Yeh! go for it, from where I'm looking at it you have nothing to lose , good luck.
Old Mar 8th 2005, 5:05 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point

Not mad, sounds like a sneaky move to me cheaper house here ,rent it out then you can sell in few years ching ching
Then if you hate oz there is a house waiting for you in uk.
Motor mech? no wukers ! Jobs aplenty just dont forget to take your tools! Or the wife will have to keep you
Old Mar 8th 2005, 5:48 pm
Merlot

Nupe we live on the bones of our bum most of the time but very happy. We work hard, pay our bills on time, save a bit, spend a bit and have fun.

Don't worry about a thing, the right attitude you will go a long way.

Best of luck
Merlot

Old Mar 8th 2005, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough

Yeah we havent got a house to sell either....are trying to scrape something together and hopefully the sale of our wordly goods will go someway to giving us a 'buffer'...am going to start looking for jobs before I go and try and line up interviews as soon as I arrive.

Just go for it....whats the worst that can happen?

Originally Posted by Merlot
Nupe we live on the bones of our bum most of the time but very happy. We work hard, pay our bills on time, save a bit, spend a bit and have fun.

Don't worry about a thing, the right attitude you will go a long way.

Best of luck
Merlot
Old Mar 8th 2005, 6:45 pm
Merlot

Originally Posted by MrFlibbleUK
Yeah we havent got a house to sell either....are trying to scrape something together and hopefully the sale of our wordly goods will go someway to giving us a 'buffer'...am going to start looking for jobs before I go and try and line up interviews as soon as I arrive.

Just go for it....whats the worst that can happen?
The less you have to start with the more you make it work, always happened with me.

Best of luck
Merlot

Old Mar 8th 2005, 9:47 pm
Loving it in Bundy

teach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of lightteach is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Dawn,
You are not mad, well maybe a little bit. Just one thing that you might want to ask about.... some councils have a clause that when a tenant buys a house they have to live in it for so long before they can sell. The rule might stretch to you not being able to rent it out. Hopefully I'm wrong on this but my dad has done a few mortgages for people who have a right to buy and they have found this clause in the contract. Make a general enquiry call to your council where you won't have to give your name, they will be able to tell you. Good luck.
Sarah
Old Mar 8th 2005, 10:04 pm
F.U.B.A.R

Homer will become famous soon enoughHomer will become famous soon enough

Not mad at all we are the same as you we will only have about $18,000 to take with us not kids so that helps only thing is im a australian citizen but have no family or job out there so go for it and where are you going if its perth and after 15th april give us a shout we will try and help you out you know meat you at airport and that and if we can put you up for a bit just let us know and as i said GO FO IT
Old Mar 8th 2005, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

midge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant future

We are in exactly the same boat, so maybe we are mad too. We do have family to go to over in Oz tho.
Old Mar 9th 2005, 7:27 pm
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold

Hi Homer, thats really sweet of you thankyou....Were Def going to Perth, just doing police chks and medicals now and trying to get the cash together. Let you know and thanks again

Originally Posted by Homer
Not mad at all we are the same as you we will only have about $18,000 to take with us not kids so that helps only thing is im a australian citizen but have no family or job out there so go for it and where are you going if its perth and after 15th april give us a shout we will try and help you out you know meat you at airport and that and if we can put you up for a bit just let us know and as i said GO FO IT
Old Mar 9th 2005, 7:49 pm
GC family day carer

68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute68MEVY has a reputation beyond repute

We're mad too! We haven't even got a council house never mind own one, I live on a school property as my hubby is the schools caretaker. So with that, no savings and a loan we'll have to keep paying when we're over in Oz, I think we can declare ourselves mad aswell.
The money we're earning between now and moving day is gonna pay for a container to get car and a bit of furniture across, and also the dog cos we couldn't bear to leave her behind, cos atleast then we don't have to find money at the other end for a car and the like. We do have relatives we can stay with but we have a 3 year old handful of a daughter and a dog so don't really want to be there for long.
Just hope jobs are as easy to find as we're hoping.
So Ok we're skint but if we don't go now we never will and we'll certainly not be in a worse situation in Oz, we've got guts and we're gonna do it and make it work.
Marie
Old Mar 10th 2005, 8:40 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Hi Marie,
Thanks for your reply....it seemed strange reading it as my first name is Marie, we have a 4 year old handful of a daughter and a dog. Also the same as you, were going to get a container just to get car and few bit accross!! Funny hey!

Were just waiting on my 4 year olds passport to come back then sending form 47. just sent off for police checks to be done. madly selling stuff on Ebay at the mo to get the final 1500 fees then can log application. not one penny savings!!! scarey

Got to break news to inlaws yet who will be devastated but same as you if we dont go now we never will. Where are you hopeing to settle?

Dawn

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
We're mad too! We haven't even got a council house never mind own one, I live on a school property as my hubby is the schools caretaker. So with that, no savings and a loan we'll have to keep paying when we're over in Oz, I think we can declare ourselves mad aswell.
The money we're earning between now and moving day is gonna pay for a container to get car and a bit of furniture across, and also the dog cos we couldn't bear to leave her behind, cos atleast then we don't have to find money at the other end for a car and the like. We do have relatives we can stay with but we have a 3 year old handful of a daughter and a dog so don't really want to be there for long.
So Ok we're skint but if we don't go now we never will and we'll certainly not be in a worse situation in Oz, we've got guts and we're gonna do it and make it work.
Marie
Old Mar 10th 2005, 9:08 am
Go Banana's !!

Originally Posted by 68MEVY
Marie
I'm sorry I'm going to sound like eatstatic now but how could your life in the UK be that bad that you want to upsticks and move across the world - with no savings:scared: and debt left in the UK? I couldn't do it - youv'e got guts.

These following questions I hope you have asked yourself. It is not my business to know the answers, but it's yours and I hope in your bravery you have considered the practicalities and that you have 4 mouths to feed.

Have you considered that the exchange rate changes and that each month the amount you pay back will vary ?

How are you going to support yourselves while looking for work ? On average it takes 3-6 months to find work.

You'll need to pay for driving licences, deposits on a rental and a bond, the list is quite long for stuff you don't realise.

You have a 3 year old daughter, what happens if she gets sick (I do hope not BTW) and needs a prescription , you have to pay over here and to see the doctor ? You can't join Medicare for 11 days and even then you only get a portion back. Then you have to think of possible vet bills !

You can tell we are Mr and Mrs Cautious !!!!!

What happens if you have customs charges ?

Your car may need to be converted in some way to comply with Australian Road Laws, you won't be able to get it taxed until this is checked out.

Jobs - have you done searches ? you say you believe they are easy to find ? how do you know?

Sorry but you could be alot worse than staying put, at least you have a roof over your and pressumably some family.

I sincerely wish you the very best of luck, but I agree you are quite mad. Australia isn't paradise. I don't see what you think it can offer you more than you have already.

At the end of the day it's none of my business, but I would love to hear updates cos it will be one hell of an adventure!

Best wishes
Jill

Old Mar 10th 2005, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

leedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant future

Hi Marie,
Thanks for your reply....it seemed strange reading it as my first name is Marie, we have a 4 year old handful of a daughter and a dog. Also the same as you, were going to get a container just to get car and few bit accross!! Funny hey!

Were just waiting on my 4 year olds passport to come back then sending form 47. just sent off for police checks to be done. madly selling stuff on Ebay at the mo to get the final 1500 fees then can log application. not one penny savings!!! scarey

Got to break news to inlaws yet who will be devastated but same as you if we dont go now we never will. Where are you hopeing to settle?

Dawn
I'm so glad i read this thread. I thought i was the only one going with no money, maybe even debt. I feel so much better now.

Thanks guys and good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.