Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

No house sale - but all systems go!!

No house sale - but all systems go!!

Old Jul 30th 2003, 8:40 pm
Crocodile Member

Location: Wurtulla, Sunshine Coast. Crikey Terri, That's a BIG ONE!
Andy_Hanrahan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No house sale - but all systems go!!

After four long months, over 50 viewings, and a fast approaching validation deadline, we are now in a position to change tack - we have decided to take our house off the market for the moment and rent it out so we can go.

As luck would have it, some friends of ours are looking to rent a place, so we have some excellent tenants waiting in the wings. All we need to do now is get a management agency on board for the formalities, and if everything fits into place, we'll be flying out to Oz at the beginnning of October - YIPPPEEEE!!!

To anyone still waiting to sell their house, I still firmly believe the market will pick up again, but possibly not this year. We plan to see how things are a year from now and maybe put it back on a year from now. In the meantime, Queensland here we come!!!!

Andy
Old Jul 30th 2003, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Andy,
glad you're sorted with good tenants.Why bother with management agency until you need another renter?
Rental contracts are available at W.H.Smiths
We are in a similar situation......
accepted offer in April, solicitors instructed and then they have played the waiting game.....keep promising "we'll sign this Friday"
anyway the upshot is that after 5 weeks of this we have told them to sod off and have instructed the agent to find us another buyer.....who says no worries as the first viewer we had has kept in contact,,,,,,will cost me about 2k but am now not willing to let that lose the sale

Good luck with it all
Old Jul 30th 2003, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Great idea Andy. It sounds like you have got a great solution there.
You lucky thing heading off so soon. Let us know how your plans go.
Old Jul 31st 2003, 7:30 am
Crocodile Member

Originally posted by Rossi
Rossi,

The main reason we are going with a management agency is our mortgage lender insisted on it.

Normally I wouldn't worry about doing things so "by the book", but being 12000 miles away, if anything goes wrong I'd be concerned about not being in a position to sort things out. Also if our friends do bail out unexpectedly we're covered. not expecting this to happen, but then again I wasn't expecting to be still trying to sell my house after 4 months!!

Andy

Andy,
glad you're sorted with good tenants.Why bother with management agency until you need another renter?
Rental contracts are available at W.H.Smiths
We are in a similar situation......
accepted offer in April, solicitors instructed and then they have played the waiting game.....keep promising "we'll sign this Friday"
anyway the upshot is that after 5 weeks of this we have told them to sod off and have instructed the agent to find us another buyer.....who says no worries as the first viewer we had has kept in contact,,,,,,will cost me about 2k but am now not willing to let that lose the sale

Good luck with it all
Old Jul 31st 2003, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

dobbo is an unknown quantity at this point

our house has been on the market for five months only 8 viewings so far, all our friends cant understand why it hasnt sold have dropped the price had a few more viewings but i just feel that people are coming for a nose its really stressful keeping the house tidy in the school hols with four kids. we have until jan 28
2004 to validate but cant afford to go until house is sold as we had to put up capital investment. anyway we are now going to change agents to see if this makes a difference.
Have had an offer of my aunt and uncles house in noosa as they want to come over here for a year, i just cant wait to get out there.

all the best to those still waiting

juliet
Old Jul 31st 2003, 8:07 am
Crocodile Member

Juliet, i know exactly how you feel. Originally we couldn't afford to go without selling, but the dealy has meant we have managed to get some money together. The last few months have been a nightmare, flying around trying to tidy the place up every time you get a viewing, waiting for that sale, knowing there's nothing you can do to speed things up. Hang in there, and good luck!

Andy

Originally posted by dobbo
our house has been on the market for five months only 8 viewings so far, all our friends cant understand why it hasnt sold have dropped the price had a few more viewings but i just feel that people are coming for a nose its really stressful keeping the house tidy in the school hols with four kids. we have until jan 28
2004 to validate but cant afford to go until house is sold as we had to put up capital investment. anyway we are now going to change agents to see if this makes a difference.
Have had an offer of my aunt and uncles house in noosa as they want to come over here for a year, i just cant wait to get out there.

all the best to those still waiting

juliet
Old Jul 31st 2003, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

james & bev is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Andy_Hanrahan
Juliet, i know exactly how you feel. Originally we couldn't afford to go without selling, but the dealy has meant we have managed to get some money together. The last few months have been a nightmare, flying around trying to tidy the place up every time you get a viewing, waiting for that sale, knowing there's nothing you can do to speed things up. Hang in there, and good luck!

Andy
Andy, All the best, I am pleased you have found a solution.

I hope the housing market keeps going for you, though I have to say I'm not sure I share your confidence. But then experts seem to be saying slower growth not crash. Just seems unsustainable to me with all this equity realease, fewer first time buyers, weak economy, redundancies. Interests rates should say low or go a little lower in the short term but then where.

Our house is in need of modernisation and we have a development plot to sell with it. The whole thing is going to auction 19/8. I am led (independantly) to believe that auction can be quite a good way to go, especially for development opportunites. You set your reserve, buyer pays 10% deposit on the night and completes in 28 days or loses deposit. No "tyre kickers" trying to sell there own houses and things they have the money and ready to go. Block viewing only so we don't have to have the house tidy all the time, and as long as you get enough interest going with people competeting i'm told the results can be good. Its exciting - We'll see what happens.

Cheers

JAmes
Old Jul 31st 2003, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Sweetie's at last,

I am so pleased for you and Siobhan, don't forget about me, remember we need to share a car to work.
Old Jul 31st 2003, 12:43 pm
Crocodile Member

Thanks guys.

Carrianne, don't be daft, how could we forget about our fellow Sunshine Coasters!!!

With regard to selling a house by auction, this was something we considered. I've discovered that far from being the last resort for selling a delapidated old shack, you can often get very good prices at auction. A lot of investors go to them. It's definately worth a shot

Andy

Originally posted by Carrianne
Sweetie's at last,

I am so pleased for you and Siobhan, don't forget about me, remember we need to share a car to work.