Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

No hot water - Any advice?

No hot water - Any advice?

Old May 21st 2010, 3:41 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No hot water - Any advice?

Title states it all, and the family aren't happy!

Checked fuse at fuseboard which is a mystery. Switch has an arrow that is either red or green. Something tells me green is on, but when I first inspected it was in the red position and either makes no difference.

Got a cylinder on the outside of the house with 2 tap / knob things. Turn em and I hear water pressure, but that's as far as I went as simply don't know what I'm doin ...

Don't fancy a $1500 bill to fix it.

Any advice most welcome ...
Old May 21st 2010, 4:46 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: No hot water - Any advice?

Gas or Electric ?

Old May 21st 2010, 5:16 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon the pilot light has gone out - same happened to me at the weekend.
Old May 21st 2010, 5:18 am
The Mango King

Antney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to allAntney is a name known to all

Ours broke the other week (only three years old). Had to ring Rheem and get them out.

I think it was $240 call out and that included the first 30 mis.

Or thermostat had burnt out and needed replacing. The bill was $540 all up.

Not great, but much better than having cold water.
Old May 21st 2010, 5:52 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

There is another possibility, have you been on holiday in FNQ recently and eaten any reef fish ? Did you and your family snack on a large spanish mackerel last night? If so, you could have ciguatera poisoning... and now your hot water feels cold to the touch.

Or, it could be the pilot light.
Old May 21st 2010, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Title states it all, and the family aren't happy!
but when I first inspected it was in the red position

and I hear water pressure,
Sounds like the heating element has gone tits up. If you can't diy it (probably very easy if you can get the part) it's gonna cost you.......
Old May 21st 2010, 8:01 am
Account Closed

Electric.

Originally Posted by renth
I reckon the pilot light has gone out - same happened to me at the weekend.
Can't find a pilot light ?!? ... but pulled a cover off the thing outside and see the temp switch - set to max. Also there's the power comin in and when I put me meter across it it's showing nil voltage. I still can't work out this stupid fuse switch, but in either position I'm gettin no power at the cable leading into the boiler which can't be right.
Old May 21st 2010, 8:06 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Antney
Ours broke the other week (only three years old). Had to ring Rheem and get them out.

I think it was $240 call out and that included the first 30 mis.

Or thermostat had burnt out and needed replacing. The bill was $540 all up.

Not great, but much better than having cold water.
shit thats exspensive

note to self start fixing hot water systems
Old May 21st 2010, 8:20 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Also there's the power comin in and when I put me meter across it it's showing nil voltage.
Just tried the meter again and yeah, with the fuse in both positions I'm gettin nowt from the lead in cable so looking like a power issue.
Old May 21st 2010, 9:04 am
DownUnder

datamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond reputedatamile has a reputation beyond repute

Do you get power to the thermostat ? Does it flow across the thermostat when you change the temp ?

We got ants in thermostat and they shorted it. Ended up bypassing the thermostat, running the boiler for 30 mins, and then switch off at the fusebox. Got by for a few days while I ordered the new thermostat.
Old May 21st 2010, 9:21 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve`o
shit thats exspensive

note to self start fixing hot water systems
Sucks in air through teeth "Sounds like it's the fuffle valve mate"
Old May 21st 2010, 9:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
Do you smoke Embassy No 1s?
Old May 21st 2010, 9:48 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
that or the tri acting snorkel hose
Old May 21st 2010, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Shot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really niceShot81 is just really nice

have you changed the Fuse in the Fuse box ?
if thats blown, could be the reason why there is no power....
i would change the fuse first and work from there,
Old May 21st 2010, 10:08 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by datamile
Do you get power to the thermostat ? Does it flow across the thermostat when you change the temp ?

We got ants in thermostat and they shorted it. Ended up bypassing the thermostat, running the boiler for 30 mins, and then switch off at the fusebox. Got by for a few days while I ordered the new thermostat.
The power cable that comes out of the wall and to the unit can be seen inside this plate, and i've jumped on the first connector block and it's dead there so not the thermo.

I've been pm'd and asked if I'd switched the main fuse off and on, which I haven't, so will try this at earliest convenience.

If that don't work I'm gonna run an extension lead to it out of the window ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.