Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

No going back now

No going back now

Old Sep 27th 2004, 9:42 am
Just Joined

luverly is on a distinguished road
Default No going back now

Well thats its done now, resignation handed in on Friday, this time four weeks and The Fella and i will be in the sunshine of Melbourne. Starting to feel a bit sick about the whole thing now, not sure if its fear or excitement but i don't like it !

cried about leaving for the first time last night at a friends house - after a lot of red wine had been consumed by all parties. Didn't want to cry and had a hard time stopping myself having a full blown hysterical crying session. They were talking about going on a weekend away in December and i suddenly realised that i wouldn't be there.

This morning as well as being a hungover mess i still feel really tearful. In a wierd way my friends seemed happy that i had got upset apparently that was the first trace of emotion i have shown about us leaving. My family live in NIreland and i have lived in Glasgow for 6 years so leaving them isn't as hard as it could be but leaving my best friends is going to devastate me.

Ofcourse i didn't expect that their lives would stop after i left but i guess i have been so wrapped up in sorting out our move that i forgot that they will still be here doing all this stuff without me. Leaving party is this coming saturday and god knows how i will cope with that, waterproof mascara and not getting paralytic will be essential i think !

Didn't expect to feel like this at all, it has caught me completely off guard. I can't wait to get to Melbourne but i wish i could skip the next couple of weeks and all the goodbyes and just be there.
Old Sep 27th 2004, 9:49 am
jjj
Forum Regular

jjj is on a distinguished road
Default Re: No going back now

Originally Posted by luverly
Well thats its done now, resignation handed in on Friday, this time four weeks and The Fella and i will be in the sunshine of Melbourne. Starting to feel a bit sick about the whole thing now, not sure if its fear or excitement but i don't like it !

cried about leaving for the first time last night at a friends house - after a lot of red wine had been consumed by all parties. Didn't want to cry and had a hard time stopping myself having a full blown hysterical crying session. They were talking about going on a weekend away in December and i suddenly realised that i wouldn't be there.

This morning as well as being a hungover mess i still feel really tearful. In a wierd way my friends seemed happy that i had got upset apparently that was the first trace of emotion i have shown about us leaving. My family live in NIreland and i have lived in Glasgow for 6 years so leaving them isn't as hard as it could be but leaving my best friends is going to devastate me.

Ofcourse i didn't expect that their lives would stop after i left but i guess i have been so wrapped up in sorting out our move that i forgot that they will still be here doing all this stuff without me. Leaving party is this coming saturday and god knows how i will cope with that, waterproof mascara and not getting paralytic will be essential i think !

Didn't expect to feel like this at all, it has caught me completely off guard. I can't wait to get to Melbourne but i wish i could skip the next couple of weeks and all the goodbyes and just be there.

We still haven't got the visa yet but I have days when just thinking about saying "BYE" to certain people fills me up. JUST STAY FOCUSED ON WHY YOU ARE GOING.
Good luck and don't forget to enjoy your party.
Old Sep 27th 2004, 12:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond reputeBix da Boss has a reputation beyond repute

Know what you mean - mixed emotions all round!

Good luck - 4 weeks - that will 'fly' by!

Have good leaving party on Saturday - sure you'll be ok

Take care

Old Sep 27th 2004, 1:37 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to say that for me, leaving wasnt the hardest part as I was only living in the UK for 3 and a half years. Although I had made some good friends, my life and heart have always been in Oz.

However, watching my Husband say good bye to his Mum and best mates was horrible!! Not sure I ever want to go through that again.

Unfortunatly, I think its going to get harder, before you finally leave, but as others have said, focus on why you are going. Once you get there, even though you will still miss everyone horribly, you will be so caught up in setting up your new life, it will get easier.

Good luck,

Hels