Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

No EFTPOS Rant - Why are they so backward?

No EFTPOS Rant - Why are they so backward?

Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:26 am
Banned

Free_Energy_Is_Real is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No EFTPOS Rant - Why are they so backward?

OK, This is just a rant, because no-one (aussies) here seems to understand my plight.

Firstly I've been here (Brisbane)nearly 3 years now, so I'm not a newbie.

That's about 6 times now in the past month where I have went to buy something and they have said "No EFTPOS". These are medium sized businesses and It never ceases to amaze me at how backward they are at taking payment here.

I'm just thoroughly fed up of their take it or leave it attitude. Has no one told them that we now live in a modern society where electronic payment is an option. Perhaps they're doing it to avoid TAX or something, but whatever it is I'm bloody fed up with it.:curse:

End of Rant - Thanks.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:41 am
Banned

007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all
Default Re: No EFTPOS Rant - Why are they so backward?

Originally Posted by Free_Energy_Is_Real
OK, This is just a rant, because no-one (aussies) here seems to understand my plight.

That's about 6 times now in the past month where I have went to buy something and they have said "No EFTPOS". These are medium sized businesses and It never ceases to amaze me at how backward they are at taking payment here.

I'm just thoroughly fed up of their take it or leave it attitude. Has no one told them that we now live in a modern society where electronic payment is an option. Perhaps they're doing it to avoid TAX or something, but whatever it is I'm bloody fed up with it.:curse:

End of Rant - Thanks.
Well meet the first aussie that agrees with you.

I lived in Brisbane and was annoyed by the same thing - backward attitudes. It was one of the many reasons why I left, never to return.

I put it down to the backward people not embracing technology like say Sydney/Melb or the UK.

I remember not so long ago, queuing up at a drive thru at maccas on the gold coast only to see the sign when I got to the ordering mic that they dont accept EFT at the drive thru (I had no cash). Cars were behind, so I couldn't reverse, I had to wait for the cars infront to go through to get out. It was 30c and was stuck for over 20mins.

Why is it the maccas in Syd/Melb accept EFT at the drive thru but not at Australia's largest tourist destination that 20 million people visit on a yearly basis. sheesh
Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:47 am
Banned

Free_Energy_Is_Real is an unknown quantity at this point

While I'm on the subject of backward I have another complaint.

DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME

Can we please have daylight savings like the rest of the planet, or do a handful of banana farmers from far North Queensland have control over the fate of the rest of us.

If any politicians are reading this, you need to pull the finger out and get it sorted because we are third world when it comes to Daylight Savings.

Get it sorted.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:59 am
Banned

007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all007 is a name known to all

While I'm on the subject of backward I have another complaint.

DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME

Can we please have daylight savings like the rest of the planet, or do a handful of banana farmers from far North Queensland have control over the fate of the rest of us.

If any politicians are reading this, you need to pull the finger out and get it sorted because we are third world when it comes to Daylight Savings
Get it sorted.
What annoyed me most about the lack of daylight savings was that in summer you would go to work at 8am and be sweating your tits off because it's already 25+c. Siting on a packed bus full of sweaty people was not fun. Half the time the bus was so old it didn't have air con either. It was like sitting in a sauna with a suit on.

Daylight savings keeps the sun down for another hour in the morning, allowing you to get to work before it really starts to heat up.

What also annoyed me was how most Brisbane businesses still insist that you wear a tie in summer, even though you have 0% contact with clients. My floor was completely restricted to employees only for security purposes, yet we all still had to dress up. Who were we there to impress with our tie? sheesh Surely a business shirt minus a tie isn't going to offend your colleagues.

Do you think management would ever listen to common sense? nope, they're Queenslanders and weren't born with any.

Last edited by 007; Jun 1st 2007 at 4:01 am.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 4:16 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

They take it in Mc Donalds and taxis here, do they do that in the UK?
If a shop wont take EFTPOS then shop elsewhere.

End of Rant - Thanks.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 4:54 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

do a handful of banana farmers from far North Queensland have control over the fate of the rest of us.
Yes they do.
We have DS in WA on a 3 year trial. I don't think it will be carried on after 3 years as so many people here are against it.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 4:59 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

End of Rant - Thanks.
It is frustrating, so is having to sign for credit card transactions instead of using a PIN. To be fair though I've experienced the lack of EFTPOS in places like Germany and Switzerland and that was in large, IKEA type stores and in hypermarkets. So it's not just Australia.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

End of Rant - Thanks.

It isn't because they are backward (far be it from me to ever say that Australia isn't backward but in this they aren't)

It's because of the exhorbitant fees that banks charge retailers to use EFTPOS.

We are a small business and yet last year we paid $4500 on EFTPOS/CC fees alone.

If we can get people to pay cash, that would have been an additional $4500 profit for us.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 5:23 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

They had EFTPOS in Australia years before they had Switch in the UK.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 5:23 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

End of Rant - Thanks.
We left the UK in May 04, when we left none of the supermarkets or any other shop I used to be honest was accepting EFTPOS, as soon as we arrived in WA, everywhere was accepting it and we had to quickly order the appropriate bank card, so from my experience, the UK was behind the times and not Aus.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 5:27 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by renth
They had EFTPOS in Australia years before they had Switch in the UK.
Australia might have been ahead years ago but they are not ahead in the 21st century.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 5:35 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'v not been in a shop that doesn't do EFTPOS unless it's a small place where they say not for less than $10
Old Jun 1st 2007, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I'v not been in a shop that doesn't do EFTPOS unless it's a small place where they say not for less than $10
I've noticed an increasing trend over here - particularly in very busy, lower end restaurants. They are that popular that they refuse to accept EFTPOS and pay the fees. Whilts it frustrates the hell out of me, I can completely understand it and I'd do the same if I could.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 6:27 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Some small shops will charge 20c for EFTPOS use and more for credit card.

Even bloody Telstra and QANTAS now charge you extra fees to cover credit card use.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 6:40 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
We left the UK in May 04, when we left none of the supermarkets or any other shop I used to be honest was accepting EFTPOS, as soon as we arrived in WA, everywhere was accepting it and we had to quickly order the appropriate bank card, so from my experience, the UK was behind the times and not Aus.
Do you mean that in 2004 the UK supermarkets were not accepting card payments?
If so then I don't know where you were living, coz in my experience the vast majority of places were taking cards then! And years before that!

I think the problem is with Australia's prehistoric banking system - they need some serious competition to shake things up a bit. (or a lot!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.