Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

No dole unless sacked - right?

No dole unless sacked - right?

Old Jul 15th 2010, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No dole unless sacked - right?

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I lost my job as a result of redundancy, but was able to claim Newstart immediately.
My husband was made redundant a few years ago and was unable to claim for something like ten weeks as he had technically received a payout (hadn't actually received it as he disputed it and eventually they settled out of court) so we had to live off our savings for six weeks until he got another job. Things may have changed since then though.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 12:41 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic
Can someone please confirm?!?

A guy at my work a few years back wouldn't just leave as he'll not get dole apparantly. He HAD to be sacked he kept telling me, but need to know if this is true.

Also, can you actually get dole as a PR, not a citizen. I'm thinking it's 2 years as a PR which we qualify, but just not citizens (pffft) yet.

Cheers
Could you hang in there till you have the cost of your flight tickets and enough money to get your little dog home?

You wont raise the flight costs on dole money Paul nor pay your mortage. But if you hang in just enough to get your flights and your dog flights, you will at least not get kicked out of your house and then you get your plane tickets and go back to the UK and have enough to put down a deposit on a rental and tide you over till you both get a job.

I dont think dole money goes very far, its hard when you dont like your job but if you have a light at the end of the tunnel in the form of a new life set up in the UK and plan it well then the job you dislike so much will be worth it because you have your escape plan.

Just having enough to pay rent for a few months in the UK till you get jobs would see you right.

Hugs to you Paul.
Old Jul 16th 2010, 1:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess

Could you hang in there till you have the cost of your flight tickets and enough money to get your little dog home?

Paul agree with above, besides if your married defacto, your wifes income will probably mean you dont get the dole anyway. I know when son was made redundant after his apprenticeship, he couldnt get dole, they took into account his defacto girlfriend, holiday pay he had received. I am not really up on this stuff but I did think your wife worked?
Old Jul 16th 2010, 8:56 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

All good, goin to see a BE member tomorrow about a job. The dole is $400 per fortnight and prob net eligible anyway.

Handed in me notice today with current mob
Old Jul 16th 2010, 8:58 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jad n rich
but I did think your wife worked?
Doesn't everyone's wife work over here?

Gotta be earning top dollar to get by on one I reckon.