Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

No agent please????

No agent please????

Old Aug 26th 2005, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

keri will become famous soon enoughkeri will become famous soon enough
Default No agent please????

Hello everyone, my name is Keri and I'm new to this thread.

My partner and myself are thinking of migrating! he is a metal machinist which is on the MODL list.

We are a little strapped for cash and think the agents are REALLY expensive,
Have any of you applied yourselves and not used an agent and if so, what was the result.

Do you think we are mad not to use one?
Please help.

Thank you in advance,

Keri
Old Aug 26th 2005, 9:50 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No agent please????

Originally Posted by keri

My partner and myself are thinking of migrating! he is a metal machinist which is on the MODL list.

Have any of you applied yourselves and not used an agent and if so, what was the result.

Please help.

Thank you in advance,

Keri
To put your mind at rest - there are dozens of people in these forum that have DIY applications. Normally if you post questions you'll have dozens of replies answering it etc..

Good luck
Old Aug 26th 2005, 9:52 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

ps - welcome to the forum
Old Aug 26th 2005, 10:04 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Keri,

If you have a straight forward application,(no hiccups ie.previous ex,children from previous partners etc..)then there's no reason why you cant do it yourself.
You'll get lots of advice on the immigration forum or here to help you along the way & if you do hit a stumbling block you can pay an agent who may get you through that part of it.
One thing i would make sure is that of any info you hear/read 2nd hand,make sure its 100% accurate.

Goodluck,
Donna.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 10:04 am
Forum Regular

Thankyou wargod for your reply,
i will do a search around the forum for info.

Cheers

K
Old Aug 26th 2005, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

DSC_AU will become famous soon enoughDSC_AU will become famous soon enough

Please help.

Thank you in advance,

Keri
Hope this link can help !
http://www.nationalvisas.com.au/
Old Aug 26th 2005, 10:11 am
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Please help.

Thank you in advance,

Keri
I dont think your mad...I think your very sensible. I did my own...and it wasnt straight forward either...TRA is the worse bit. The rest is plain sailing and form filling..Go for it,you will find this forum very useful for advice and links to the stuff you need

Best of luck...just ask the question if you get stuck
Old Aug 26th 2005, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Thankyou wargod for your reply,
i will do a search around the forum for info.

Cheers

K
Thanks Donna, our application is straight forward enough ie, no kids, marriages) only I will have to go Defacto with him and need lots of proof which we dont have as even though we have been living together for 1.5 years we have no rental slips as he owns the house and i just sort him out with money for bills so it will be quite hard.

I was thinking of going on a WHM visa for a year and then apply for residency as we will be living together in Oz for a year. what do you think?
Old Aug 26th 2005, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

Hi pippi, thank you.

This site is great!
Old Aug 26th 2005, 10:25 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Donna, our application is straight forward enough ie, no kids, marriages) only I will have to go Defacto with him and need lots of proof which we dont have as even though we have been living together for 1.5 years we have no rental slips as he owns the house and i just sort him out with money for bills so it will be quite hard.

I was thinking of going on a WHM visa for a year and then apply for residency as we will be living together in Oz for a year. what do you think?
Sorry Keri,i dont know anything about WHM Visas but im sure people on here will,so just keep asking! try the immi forum too,agents post there too & offer lots of helpful advice.
We couldnt of got through all our visa problems without the help we got from people on here & that was even being with an agent every step of the way!

Donna.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Alex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really niceAlex Hall is just really nice

Please help.

Thank you in advance,

Keri
Hi Keri,

I used an agent myself (George Lombard) and I wouldn't describe his fees as "REALLY expensive", in fact I would describe them as very reasonable. I have however read other people's posts on this forum who have spent thousands of pounds (i.e. £3k+) on agents.

Using a (good) agent can help and reduce the stress, however it is perfectly possible to do your own migration..

It comes down to what suits you.. When you take into account the cost of migration (removals, medicals, skills assessment, visa, misc) then the agent fees (assuming it is something like George's) are only a small proportion.

Do a search and you'll find plenty of successful people who have not used agents.

Good luck, whichever option you choose.

:-)

Alex
Old Aug 26th 2005, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

island.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant futureisland.girl has a brilliant future

hi keri,
my advise DONT use an agent. we didnt and everything went smoothly, it just takes time and make sure you go through everything over and over before you send it away.
in my opinion why pay someone a lot of money to do something you can do perfectly well yourself?
ive also heard of people using agents and it taking longer as its someone else in the line.
only my opinion but i wouldn't bother!
good luck to you whatever you choose!
Old Aug 26th 2005, 11:10 am
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Keri and welcome to the forum - Dave and I did a DIY on our skills assessment and application, and we found it pretty straightforward, it's just a ballache filling out all the forms and gathering the paperwork together.

If you are planning to do it yourself, the Australian Immigration Forum will be a good one to check out and post on if you have any queries as you're pulling your skills assessment and application together.

Good luck,

Nicky
Old Aug 26th 2005, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Have to say that we did it ourself. Things were very straight forward for the whole process. If I remember correctly only the TRA assessment needed more info sent with it and they soon contacted us and advised us of what we needed to send them.
Good luck with everything
Old Aug 26th 2005, 11:18 am
Banned

Bradley7 will become famous soon enoughBradley7 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by madsad
Welcome Keri,

If you have a straight forward application,(no hiccups ie.previous ex,children from previous partners etc..)then there's no reason why you cant do it yourself.
You'll get lots of advice on the immigration forum or here to help you along the way & if you do hit a stumbling block you can pay an agent who may get you through that part of it.
One thing i would make sure is that of any info you hear/read 2nd hand,make sure its 100% accurate.

Goodluck,
Donna.

Hi Donna

In what way does having kids in previous relationship complicate things? Very worrying to read that it complicates things so much an agent is needed!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.