Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

No advance visit - Crazy ?

No advance visit - Crazy ?

Old Jan 16th 2004, 9:54 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default No advance visit - Crazy ?

Hello to all,

We rarely travel outside of Cornwall and have never taken a holiday away from the 4 walls of home.

Yet we plan to emigrate to Victoria with our 15 and 17 year old sons without any prior visit to OZ.

Work requirement will put us near to Ballarat probably on the West or South West side. (anyone know that region ?)

We intend to sell up lock stock and barrel making a complete cut from UK.

Do you think we are mad ?
Old Jan 16th 2004, 10:03 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: No advance visit - Crazy ?

Originally posted by Bix
Hello to all,

We rarely travel outside of Cornwall and have never taken a holiday away from the 4 walls of home.

Yet we plan to emigrate to Victoria with our 15 and 17 year old sons without any prior visit to OZ.

Work requirement will put us near to Ballarat probably on the West or South West side. (anyone know that region ?)

The fact that you rarely venture out of Cornwall and that you probably have deep roots there increases the chance of your venture failing. What stage of education is your 17 old in? You do not want to stuff that up by chopping and changing curriculums.

I guess that makes me think you are a bit eager. Look at the homesickness thread.

Why do you want to emigrate and what do your children think?
Old Jan 16th 2004, 10:12 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Bix
Hello to all,

stay in cornwall, its fulla tinmines pastys and the patron saint charles fgs
Old Jan 16th 2004, 10:23 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

If you are such homebirds, why in heavens name do you want to go to Oz?
Old Jan 16th 2004, 10:28 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pollster
If you are such homebirds, why in heavens name do you want to go to Oz?

yeah stay in TRURO me and pollster will send ya sum postcards
Old Jan 16th 2004, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

Gibson will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Bix
Hello to all,

We upped sticks and sold everything without a prior visit to Perth. Sometimes you just have to take a chance. Our children are only 7 and 4 so it was a huge decision taking them away from grandparents etc. You do what your heart tells you, if it doesn't work out you can always go back. You'll never know if you don't try it........
Old Jan 16th 2004, 10:38 pm
Monaco here we!!! oh no

ADELAIDE BOUND is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Bix
Hello to all,

Bix
You are pretty normal. Seems a high percentage of people emmigrate to OZ without visiting first.

Cheers.
Old Jan 16th 2004, 11:09 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Appreciate your comments folks.

Boys were born on same day 2 years apart (good planning eh ?) and both reach natural breaks in their education mid this year.

Neither want to go but they are kids so they do what I tell them or they get a thump.

Why ?
Too many pasties and tinmines and Charlie.

I guess it's the common reasons: weather, prospects, future of the family, quality of life etc. I know these things are not proven or mindblowing but it's just something we gotta do. As you say follow the heart.

Better to have tried and failed ? I think yes.
Old Jan 16th 2004, 11:12 pm
WBB

Originally posted by Bix
Appreciate your comments folks.

Boys were born on same day 2 years apart (good planning eh ?) and both reach natural breaks in their education mid this year.

Neither want to go but they are kids so they do what I tell them or they get a thump.

Why ?

I guess it's the common reasons: weather, prospects, future of the family, quality of life etc. I know these things are not proven or mindblowing but it's just something we gotta do. As you say follow the heart.

Better to have tried and failed ? I think yes.
go for it mate, i totally agree with your last line there.

Old Jan 16th 2004, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Bix
Too many pasties? Is there such a thing?!

Old Jan 16th 2004, 11:17 pm
Banned

Originally posted by Olive101

i luve pasties , have ya tried YATTALA PIES in brisbane ... mmmm .... lovely
Old Jan 16th 2004, 11:24 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally posted by Olive101

Olive,

No u can't have too many.

Trouble is the likes of Ginsters sell fakes all over the country and give the wrong impression of what a true pasty is like. But that's the same for all mass produced stuff eh ?

Actually u can probably get a good pasty in OZ as a lot of Cornish
miners emigrated there.
Old Jan 16th 2004, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olive101 will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Bix
Olive,

No u can't have too many.

Trouble is the likes of Ginsters sell fakes all over the country and give the wrong impression of what a true pasty is like. But that's the same for all mass produced stuff eh ?

Actually u can probably get a good pasty in OZ as a lot of Cornish
miners emigrated there.
I know all about pasties - I'm married to a fellow Piskey....

Very strict rules in our house about what is and isn't in a pasty!

(My husband's pasties are usually enough to keep you going for a day or two.)
Old Jan 16th 2004, 11:30 pm
WBB

personally i dont like cornish pasties, i have been to cornwall and eaten the real mccoy BTW not just a ginsters pastie from texaco.

why do you cornish insist on using HUGE chunks in your pasties?

IMO you cant beat a good sweetmans pastie.

Old Jan 16th 2004, 11:43 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally posted by welshboybilly
personally i dont like cornish pasties, i have been to cornwall and eaten the real mccoy BTW not just a ginsters pastie from texaco.

why do you cornish insist on using HUGE chunks in your pasties?

IMO you cant beat a good sweetmans pastie.
Tradition calls for the meat to be cut up with a knife - no mincing machines allowed. So those chunks were probably finger tips.

Personally I like a bit of diced streaky bacon added to enhance the flavour and a knob of butter for gravy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.