Wikiposts

Nitrox

Old Jul 23rd 2006, 9:41 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nitrox

Originally Posted by jayjd12
Hi Centurion, just picked up on your stating not to bring over the Cylnders, is there a particular reason for this, weight etc or are they just fantastically cheap (I bet this aint the answer is it?)

Cheers
aussie baskets wont fill em up as they dont recognise our tank standards
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 9:49 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steve`o
no we fly out on the 8th oct

we are heading for the gold coast at the moment
its school related as we have been doing seaches etc for our daughters schooling and robina high seems very good
but so does albany creek which i know is in the opposite direction but i`m of the opinion that her schooling comes first
Dive gear def cheaper UK but you can still have it posted over from likes of Denney Diving to Aus.

Nitrox easily available.

Still some good schools on North Side, our son goes to

http://www.stpauls.qld.edu.au/06_web/home/home.asp

Good private school does all sorts and have even become first school to sign deal with PGA golf as has separate golf academy although normal students can get lessons.
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

thanks rossifumi

do you get the chance to dive regularly over there ?
Hi Steve
Matt has just started diving, he's with a club on the northside of Brisbane (BlueZone Scuba). They go out every fortnight on the the bay (Matt doesn't! Probably wishes he could though) They do nitrox refilling ($15/tank I think).
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 11:22 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by matt-and-jenny
Hi Steve
Matt has just started diving, he's with a club on the northside of Brisbane (BlueZone Scuba). They go out every fortnight on the the bay (Matt doesn't! Probably wishes he could though) They do nitrox refilling ($15/tank I think).
What sort of boat do they use a rib or something softer on the arse?
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 11:30 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Centurion, just picked up on your stating not to bring over the Cylnders, is there a particular reason for this, weight etc or are they just fantastically cheap (I bet this aint the answer is it?)

Cheers
its because - as many have found to our woe - that the cylinders in the UK are not compliant to Australian regulations. Namely they lack burst disks in the valves and unless it was manufactured about less than 18 months ago will carry the wrong BS mark.

I have donated 6 such steel objects to recycling in the last few months

Basically - sell it before you come here and buy a new one here. Will save a heap of money. They are not cheap here tho. Faber steel 12lt about 500AUD.

If you need to know anything specific please feel free to PM me.
Old Jul 23rd 2006, 11:56 pm
DWT
Just Joined

DWT has a brilliant futureDWT has a brilliant futureDWT has a brilliant futureDWT has a brilliant futureDWT has a brilliant futureDWT has a brilliant futureDWT has a brilliant futureDWT has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Centurion
its because - as many have found to our woe - that the cylinders in the UK are not compliant to Australian regulations. Namely they lack burst disks in the valves and unless it was manufactured about less than 18 months ago will carry the wrong BS mark.

Basically - sell it before you come here and buy a new one here. Will save a heap of money. They are not cheap here tho. Faber steel 12lt about 500AUD.

Centurion,

do you know anything about getting UK cylinders inspected and stamped to AU standards & valves being adapted? Is it right that in Oz cylinders have to have a hydro every year?

I popped into Pro Dive in Sydney last year while I was on holiday to ask them about UK cylinders, and they informed me that UK ones can be adapted and have buest discs fitted, but not sure on the cost. Could work out cheeper than $500 a pop, especially for a couple of 15s, twin 12s (including isolating manifold) and a pony! However, if there really isn't any point bringing them I will try and sell them here while the weather is warm and everyone is actually diving! The other thing I noticed was that there didn't seem to be any DIN valves over there, and all my regs are DIN.

I was also looking at doing a bit of teaching (am moving to Geelong), as much to meet people people in the local area as anything. Insurance is compulsory in the UK as well now as well as a yearly HSE medical, so doesn't look like I will save any money when I eventually move.

DWT
Old Jul 24th 2006, 12:48 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DWT
Centurion,

do you know anything about getting UK cylinders inspected and stamped to AU standards & valves being adapted? Is it right that in Oz cylinders have to have a hydro every year?

I popped into Pro Dive in Sydney last year while I was on holiday to ask them about UK cylinders, and they informed me that UK ones can be adapted and have buest discs fitted, but not sure on the cost. Could work out cheeper than $500 a pop, especially for a couple of 15s, twin 12s (including isolating manifold) and a pony! However, if there really isn't any point bringing them I will try and sell them here while the weather is warm and everyone is actually diving! The other thing I noticed was that there didn't seem to be any DIN valves over there, and all my regs are DIN.

I was also looking at doing a bit of teaching (am moving to Geelong), as much to meet people people in the local area as anything. Insurance is compulsory in the UK as well now as well as a yearly HSE medical, so doesn't look like I will save any money when I eventually move.

DWT
I was assured that my cylinder would be O.K as it has a yoke type connection and a burst disc, it was in test up until last September and a couple of dive shops said testing wouldn't be a problem. When it came to the crunch it's not Australian it's not acceptable, mine is still in the locker untested because while it's a Faber it's not got an Australian standard stamp it's got a BS5045 one. Role on ISO international standards
Old Jul 24th 2006, 3:03 am
Just Joined

Guitarfish is a jewel in the roughGuitarfish is a jewel in the roughGuitarfish is a jewel in the roughGuitarfish is a jewel in the rough

Is this any use to anyone? http://www.diveoz.com.au/
The nearest thing I've found to Divernet in the UK.

I'll be arriving in Melbourne in Sept, but the kit won't arrive til Oct sometime
Old Jul 24th 2006, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

jayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nicejayjd12 is just really nice

Cheers for that Centurion, I knew they would'nt be cheap! I will sell them over here, they are nearing Test date anyhow.

I was diving in Wales last week (Anglesey) in just my faithful shortie, water was excellent, can you believe it?

Cheers
Old Jul 24th 2006, 7:15 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for that Centurion, I knew they would'nt be cheap! I will sell them over here, they are nearing Test date anyhow.

I was diving in Wales last week (Anglesey) in just my faithful shortie, water was excellent, can you believe it?

Cheers
LOL Whereas I dive in a drysuit at the moment with the sea being a chilly 20

Not so much the temp but the wind when you get out.

On the plus side of things we do see these most dives. You'll love it here
Attached Thumbnails Nitrox-leapoardshark.jpg  
Old Jul 24th 2006, 7:23 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Nitrox

Originally Posted by thebears
Steve have you had a chat with Buzzy Bee yet? Although they may end up in Melbourne sounds like he would be interesed in chatting about the diving.

Some great spots across the water in NZ - Poor Knights etc.

Ah-ha!

Thanks mate! Yes Steve and I have chatted about the diving before. There seems to be great diving in Melbourne as well as QLD - just a bit colder.

I've dived QLD (Flinders reef, Moreton Island) and NSW (Byron Bay). Can't wait to dive Melbourne and see the leafy sea dragons. But if I was going to choose anywhere to live in Oz based on diving alone it would be Ningaloo Reef, WA. mmmmm whale sharks.

slightly p155ed Buzzy
Old Jul 24th 2006, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

kellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond reputekellyjs has a reputation beyond repute

yeah still help alittle with studants at our local padi centre
( i`m a padi DM )
that and my daughter terri ( 13 ) is just doing her open water
some of our aussie BE members suggested that it would be cheaper to kit her up in the UK so i got her enrolled nad bought her her first set of gear ( she loves it )
also got myself a new dive comp at he same time
just to save money of course

nope you must be confusing me with some one else
rich

regards steve
Hey mate
Glad to hear things are coming together. Thanks for the help with schools etc...looks like we have both come full circle with this and put miles of effort in too...we must be pretty good parents eh?
all the best
kelly
Old Jul 24th 2006, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by DWT
Centurion,

DWT
Firstly. The whole cylinder stamping thing. Your tanks have to be BS5045/1 and not /7 to stand any hope of being compliant. Then you have to have new burst disks machined into the valve at around $90 each. Then hydro'd and then restamped etc. Cost per cylinder $300 or so in total.

Mine were BS5045/1 but were still refused by the testers. Basically the long and short of it is that its not a Australian Standard then its not going to happen. Despite the technical correctness of what your trying to do in crossing them over it simply doesnt work in reality.

As to the Yoke or DIN issue. You can usually simply unscrew the insert of your cylinder with an alan key. Hey presto DIN cylinder. I dive with DIN and not yoke since its a more secure seal.

On the plus side we dont have the HSE medical
Old Jul 24th 2006, 7:57 pm
DWT
Just Joined

DWT has a brilliant futureDWT has a brilliant futureDWT has a brilliant futureDWT has a brilliant futureDWT has a brilliant futureDWT has a brilliant futureDWT has a brilliant futureDWT has a brilliant future

Firstly. The whole cylinder stamping thing. Your tanks have to be BS5045/1 and not /7 to stand any hope of being compliant. Then you have to have new burst disks machined into the valve at around $90 each. Then hydro'd and then restamped etc. Cost per cylinder $300 or so in total.

Mine were BS5045/1 but were still refused by the testers. Basically the long and short of it is that its not a Australian Standard then its not going to happen. Despite the technical correctness of what your trying to do in crossing them over it simply doesnt work in reality.

As to the Yoke or DIN issue. You can usually simply unscrew the insert of your cylinder with an alan key. Hey presto DIN cylinder. I dive with DIN and not yoke since its a more secure seal.

Thanks, looks like I'll be selling my cyclinders then.

I did look for the inserts last year but on the hired cyclinders I used they didn't have any. Fortunately I had taken an adapter with me. I guess when I buy new cyclinders I will at least be able to get valves to take DIN. I'm with you 100% on them being more secure.
Old Jul 24th 2006, 8:05 pm
Banned

232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute232Bar has a reputation beyond repute

Not bl**dy cyliders again!!!!!!!!! :scared: :scared: LOL. Mine make nice garden ornaments now!

I/we now run 12ltr Aluminiums, but the heavier version - all 4 are O2 clean and we get nitrox easily whenever we need it - which right now isn't too often as we're not getting out much. Visitors go this week so it looks like diving is back on the cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.