Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Nintendo WII buy here or Oz?

Nintendo WII buy here or Oz?

Old Feb 10th 2009, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

cybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant futurecybie has a brilliant future
Default Nintendo WII buy here or Oz?

Where is the best place to by a Nintendo WII? I can pick one up in the UK for £175 but will it be compatible with Oz games? Am I better off waiting until I get to Oz to buy one?
Old Feb 10th 2009, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nintendo WII buy here or Oz?

Originally Posted by cybie
Where is the best place to by a Nintendo WII? I can pick one up in the UK for £175 but will it be compatible with Oz games? Am I better off waiting until I get to Oz to buy one?

Just buy it here. Save you shipping it, buying new plugs and all the hassle that goes with it. Not to mention having to wait for 6 - 12 weeks for it, and maybe paying GST for it (Like VAT only 10%)

Some prices for you:

http://ebgames.com.au/Wii/product.cfm?ID=4223

http://www.game.com.au/ConsoleDeals/NintendoWii

Or if you are buying a new TV you can find packages that have free Wii or PS3 consoles. You can go to some shops and haggle for a better price, you can get pre owned consoles, you can look out for specials (there's always some, just check the post box or ask around!)
Old Feb 10th 2009, 7:13 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cybie
People are always asking "should I buy <random electronic gadget> here or there?" and never consider the warranty. Won't someone please consider the warranty!!

Think about it, you buy your shiny new Wii in the UK for 175 quid (roughly $400 - same price as here). You move here and little Timmy is happy playing Super Mario World and avoiding sunlight, and then the machine keels over and dies with your $100 game disk stuck inside it (hey, it happens). Little Timmy is in tears because you can't get it fixed for him under warranty, and just to shut the little b ..... cherub up, you have to go and shell out another $400 to buy a brand new one.
Old Feb 10th 2009, 9:44 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Buy it here.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 1:18 am
Gone Walkabout

aussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really nice

If you do buy your Wii in the UK you will be OK for games as Nintendo region code discs by PAL and NTSC, Europe and OZ works on the PAL format...
Old Feb 11th 2009, 1:44 am
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

I bought mine in the UK before we left, but frankly is the cost saving really that much of a saving? What about declaring it as an item less than 12 months old when you move out, you'll have to add the duty on to the UK purchase price as well.
Old Feb 11th 2009, 5:15 am
Gone Walkabout

aussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really niceaussiedreamz is just really nice

I know customs mention items under 12 months have duty to pay, but just throw away the receipts or leave them with a friend/family member, I shipped my Wii, Wii-fit, i-pod touch, i-pod speaker dock and brand new unused builders tools all were under 12 months old and total cost was well over £2000, I even left the receipt dated July 2008 in the Wii-fit box and still didn't get charged duty...Was it luck or are they looking for bigger fish to fry?