Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Nintendo DS Lite - buy in transit ?

Nintendo DS Lite - buy in transit ?

Old Sep 2nd 2006, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

Willij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura aboutWillij has a spectacular aura about
Default Nintendo DS Lite - buy in transit ?

Hi,

I was thinking of buying our 2 children a Nintendo each to keep them occupied on the flight.

Then I wondered if it would be cheaper to buy on stopover at Singapore or Hong Kong, for example.

Anyone else bought gaming toys on route ?
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 6:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nintendo DS Lite - buy in transit ?

Originally Posted by Willij
Hi,

I was thinking of buying our 2 children a Nintendo each to keep them occupied on the flight.

Then I wondered if it would be cheaper to buy on stopover at Singapore or Hong Kong, for example.

ive been wondering the same, would be interested in the answers
As we wont have the kids we thought of getting them for xmas
Mandy

Last edited by geordie mandy; Sep 2nd 2006 at 8:16 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2006, 8:10 pm
Banned

acbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond reputeacbh2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

How would you occupy them for the first 12 hours if you wait till singapore to buy them a nintendo to occupy them on the flight
andrea
x
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know much about the Nintendo gaming machines as I have never owned one but if you were to buy a PSP for example, it comes with a bettery pack which needs charging before using for the first time. I assume the DS runs off AA batteries or similar? From what I remember, the prices in Singapore airport at least aren't much cheaper to the UK or Australia so you might be better off buying duty free in the UK then at least you will get use out of it for the entire flight!
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

karmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant future

Buy them the DS Lite here. It'll keep them occupied and they can last up to 20 hours now so long as you have them on the lowest brightness setting (which is still brighter than the original DS).
Trust me, if you buy the kids these, you'll not even notice they're on the flight they'll be so engrossed. Try buying Animal Crossing for them if you want a game that lasts and lasts.

You can check out some reviews and some info about the actual machine here:
http://www.thumbbandits.com/DS_Lite_Choices_Pt1.asp

You can get the DS Lite for £99 or bundled with a title for £124 from GAME.
Any other questions, let me know!
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 5:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karmagirls
Buy them the DS Lite here. It'll keep them occupied and they can last up to 20 hours now so long as you have them on the lowest brightness setting (which is still brighter than the original DS).
Trust me, if you buy the kids these, you'll not even notice they're on the flight they'll be so engrossed. Try buying Animal Crossing for them if you want a game that lasts and lasts.

You can check out some reviews and some info about the actual machine here:
http://www.thumbbandits.com/DS_Lite_Choices_Pt1.asp

You can get the DS Lite for £99 or bundled with a title for £124 from GAME.
Any other questions, let me know!

I couldn't get on to the site
Mandy
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 6:45 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

My thoughts as well.

Buy them in the UK, get them charged up, and you will not hear the kids for hours, but DONT buy nintendogs unless you want a kid sat next to you for 10 hours saying " sit " " lay down " roll over " trying to train their electronic doggy.

Its a great game for the kids, but not in an enclosed area !!

Old Sep 3rd 2006, 6:50 pm
mjj
Forum Regular

mjj has a spectacular aura aboutmjj has a spectacular aura aboutmjj has a spectacular aura about

Dam! We are flying out next week and I have just purchased a DS for my son together with the dogs game. Oh well..look's like we will be p*ssing a lot of people off on the flight!! Anyone else flying out to Hong Kong on the 12th this month?

MJJ

Originally Posted by furkew
My thoughts as well.

Buy them in the UK, get them charged up, and you will not hear the kids for hours, but DONT buy nintendogs unless you want a kid sat next to you for 10 hours saying " sit " " lay down " roll over " trying to train their electronic doggy.

Its a great game for the kids, but not in an enclosed area !!

Old Sep 3rd 2006, 8:13 pm
I'm now an Aussie too!!!

shiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond reputeshiels has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Buy it before you go... daughter had one for birthday just before we went to OZ in August ( this year ) got it from 'gamestation' £120, DS lite, nintendogs and brain game good deal....... but to be honest she did'nt use it much at all on the flights, nor did my son use his PSP, they watched many of the films, listened to music and played the games on the flight. C x
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

I got a second hand one off ebay! Was like new and I got 2 games with it! So battery pack can be charged up prior to leaving! and kids can get games they actually like!
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 8:27 pm
Going for a ride

furkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond reputefurkew has a reputation beyond repute

how many people actually know that you can get a DS chipped to play copied games ?

or a :

playstation
xbox
PSP
etc etc etc
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 8:29 pm
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

What did you pay for the 2nd hand one?

Lou
xx

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
I got a second hand one off ebay! Was like new and I got 2 games with it! So battery pack can be charged up prior to leaving! and kids can get games they actually like!
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weasy
What did you pay for the 2nd hand one?

Lou
xx
Was £75 plus postage as far as I can remember. Was very cheap, boxed up with instructions looked brand new. Sold the games that came with it for £18.75 as they were pants which made it an even bigger bargain
Old Sep 3rd 2006, 8:40 pm
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers for that - I'm watching a few at the moment, gives me some idea of what to pay

Lou
xx

Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Was £75 plus postage as far as I can remember. Was very cheap, boxed up with instructions looked brand new. Sold the games that came with it for £18.75 as they were pants which made it an even bigger bargain