Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Nightmare - 9 day's to go and car is stolen!

Nightmare - 9 day's to go and car is stolen!

Old Sep 4th 2005, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

kelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant futurekelusa has a brilliant future
Default Nightmare - 9 day's to go and car is stolen!

I finally managed to sell my good car a couple of weeks ago (after what seemed life forever) and I have been using my old Nissan Sunny that I've had since uni for the last couple of weeks before I go. Got up this morning to put some stuff in the boot and the Sunny has gone - I can't believe it! Its a '93 K and not worth a bean on paper but it was of sentimental value to me (silly I know). Can't believe its gone. So now I've got all that to deal with before going on 13th Sept, I've never had any dealings with the police in my life and I had to ring them this morning. I'm kind of hoping it turns up but I think its unlikely. Never had to claim on car insurance either - how typical is that? Just before you go away. I've had a lot of hassles these last couple of weeks and I feel down that I'm having such a tough time in my own country (that I happen to love) before I go away - not going to have many happy memories of my last few weeks here. Sorry to rant on but I'm so majorly annoyed.
Old Sep 4th 2005, 12:38 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nightmare - 9 day's to go and car is stolen!

Blimey

At least you'll be glad to leave it all behind
Old Sep 4th 2005, 12:58 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hevs
Blimey

At least you'll be glad to leave it all behind
Could be worse I had 7 days before take off and crashed my car into another car, my insurance company must have loved me as I just put it in writting to the woman I banged into, gave her all the details and said tell them I am in Australia as from next week. She was really nice about it.
Jenny
Old Sep 5th 2005, 12:41 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

For God's sake don't tell the insurance company you are leaving the country, they'll never pay out. they'll assume you've staged the theft.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 12:47 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kelusa
I finally managed to sell my good car a couple of weeks ago (after what seemed life forever) and I have been using my old Nissan Sunny that I've had since uni for the last couple of weeks before I go. Got up this morning to put some stuff in the boot and the Sunny has gone - I can't believe it! Its a '93 K and not worth a bean on paper but it was of sentimental value to me (silly I know). Can't believe its gone. So now I've got all that to deal with before going on 13th Sept, I've never had any dealings with the police in my life and I had to ring them this morning. I'm kind of hoping it turns up but I think its unlikely. Never had to claim on car insurance either - how typical is that? Just before you go away. I've had a lot of hassles these last couple of weeks and I feel down that I'm having such a tough time in my own country (that I happen to love) before I go away - not going to have many happy memories of my last few weeks here. Sorry to rant on but I'm so majorly annoyed.
Pretty much the same happened to me. My car got stolen about a month before I left. It was a 6 year old Hyundai Accent. It got stolen when parked outside the police station which made it handy to report

As Renth has said, just don't mention to the insurance company you are leaving soon or all their fraud antennae and radar will go on full alert. Its none of their business anyway, and they don't ask your future plans in any of the forms.

It actually worked out well for me, it saved me the hassle of trying to sell the damn thing,( but it did mean a month of walking to the train station before I left). Look at it as a blessing in disguise, albeit a very good disguise

ADL