British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Night out in Perth (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/night-out-perth-108338/)

pommie bastard Aug 27th 2002 12:09 am

Night out in Perth

Drink spike victim tells of terror

By Cian Manton

WHEN Laurinda fell victim to the escalating crime of drink-spiking, she felt violated and terrified at how she had lost control.

She says that only the quick thinking and actions of her friend, who was less affected, prevented the man who spiked her drink dragging her out of the Northbridge nightclub and assaulting her during the early hours of August 8.

Police suspect the man has preyed on other women in the same club and perhaps other venues in Northbridge.

Laurinda, 38, reported the spiking to police the next day and went to hospital for the necessary testing. But Perth City Det-Sgt Clayton Gwilliam said only one in four spike victims did so.

He urged people who suspected their drink has been spiked to go to hospital or at least keep a urine sample for necessary forensic evidence.

Laurinda said she and her friend were sharing a drink on the dance floor when they became aware of at least one man near them. She rapidly became unwell and then the man started to drag her away but was eventually stopped by her friend.

"Knowing that you are not acting yourself, I felt violated and embarrassed. It happened so quickly," she said.

The man who tried to drag her away is described as about 35 years old, of southern European descent, of solid build, with olive skin, short straight black hair, a goatee beard and moustache.

Anyone recognising the man in the identikit pictures should contact Crime Stoppers on: 1800 333 000.

© 2002 West Australian Newspapers Limited
All Rights Reserved.
Top Home

Perth Helena Aug 27th 2002 1:15 am

Re: Night out in Perth

Originally posted by pommie bastard:
Drink spike victim tells of terror

Maybe you don't read much but drink spiking, aka "date rape drug", aka "rohypnol", aka "roofies", or whatever else they're using these days, has been going on for years. It's not a Perth thing. Look up "date rape drug" or "drink spiking" and add on the name of a country like "U.K.", "Canada", "U.S.", and you'll see that it's unfortunately part of life in the big, bad world these days, of which Perth is a part of.

So your point was ??????????

pommie bastard Aug 27th 2002 1:37 am

Originally posted by Perth Helena:

Maybe you don't read much but drink spiking, aka "date rape drug", aka "rohypnol", aka "roofies", or whatever else they're using these days, has been going on for years. It's not a Perth thing. Look up "date rape drug" or "drink spiking" and add on the name of a country like "U.K.", "Canada", "U.S.", and you'll see that it's unfortunately part of life in the big, bad world these days, of which Perth is a part of.

So your point was ??????????
Pointing out what you have just pointed out yourself , some seem to think Australia is safer than the rest of the big bad world not so ,crime here as bad as many UK towns .On a personal level my wife had her drink spiked and did not recover for 20 hours.Drugs ,home invasions , rape , murder are here same as elsewhere , and as many people homeless all that sparkles is not gold there is no comfort zone to escape to.Maybe the dreamers need a wake up I wish some one had stopped me sleep walking.:zzz:

Chris Aug 27th 2002 12:41 pm

"pommie bastard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

>Drugs ,home invasions, rape, murder are here same as elsewhere,

Can you cite a source? Didn't think so. Break and enters are worse here than the
US... but murder is most definitely not. If you are going to make wild claims such
as the above, provide a source.

> and as many people homeless

Proof? And don't tell me "I once read it in a newspaper..."

Chris

Chris Aug 27th 2002 12:43 pm

"Perth Helena" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Maybe you don't read much but drink spiking, aka "date rape drug", aka "rohypnol",
    > aka "roofies", or whatever else they're using these days, has been going on for
    > years. It's not a Perth thing. Look up "date rape drug" or "drink spiking" and add
    > on the name of a country like "U.K.", "Canada", "U.S.", and you'll see that it's
    > unfortunately part of life in the big, bad world these days, of which Perth is a
    > part of.
    > So your point was ??????????

To stir shit. He wants/needs attention, and this is his way of getting it. After
having some fun with him and giving him a bit of attention (dense, semi-literates are
always good to bash on Usenet... for a while), I suggest a kill-file.

Chris

> --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

pommie bastard Aug 27th 2002 1:14 pm

Originally posted by Chris:
"pommie bastard" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

>Drugs ,home invasions, rape, murder are here same as elsewhere,

Can you cite a source? Didn't think so. Break and enters are worse here than the
US... but murder is most definitely not. If you are going to make wild claims such
as the above, provide a source.

> and as many people homeless

Proof? And don't tell me "I once read it in a newspaper..."

Chris
Homeless are to be seen on Perth streets most nights ,we still have a guy runing around who has murdered 8 girls still not caught .Asian gangs are fighting for control of drug trade ,but great place to live as long as close your eyes and moan about bull like its worse in UK.:D

FOX Aug 27th 2002 1:38 pm

PB,

Is this helping you in any way?

Is it making you feel better to continue in this way?

You have made your point, that people need to do their homework and not be naive, but what you are doing now is completely pointless and is helping no one, least of all yourself as you seem to be whipping yourself into a frenzy of hate!

Just leave, get on a plane and come hoome, and I hope things get better for you when you get here, as you are obviously desperately unhappy at the moment.

Sarah

bevo Aug 27th 2002 3:16 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FOX:
PB,

Just leave, get on a plane and come hoome, and I hope things get better for you when you get here, as you are obviously desperately unhappy at the moment.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I dont think coming home is going to help this guy. He just is not a happy person and sees all the bad things in life. I will agree some people look through rose coloured glasses but most of us do appreciate that crime etc is a world wide thing and are quite level headed. We are making a big move and if he thinks most of us are not aware of what he points out then he would be mistaken after all if it were a crime free paradise wouldn't everyone live there???? No such place im afraid Pommie life's what YOU make it, so start living.

:) :) :) :)

pommie bastard Aug 28th 2002 11:36 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bevo:

Originally posted by FOX:
PB,

-----------------------------------------------------------------

I dont think coming home is going to help this guy. He just is not a happy person and sees all the bad things in life. I will agree some people look through rose coloured glasses but most of us do appreciate that crime etc is a world wide thing and are quite level headed. We are making a big move and if he thinks most of us are not aware of what he points out then he would be mistaken after all if it were a crime free paradise wouldn't everyone live there???? No such place im afraid Pommie life's what YOU make it, so start living.

:) :) :) :)
Not at all I find some of you most amusing , with its crap here lets go there its got to be better frame of mind.I read your posts with interest about how good it is Australia which is even funnier when its pointed out that some of you are still in UK .By the way had great game of golf yesterday on good stardard public course , only one Aussie in our group of 24 from the local pub he was from Sidney and said that Perths ok apart from the amount of POMS here .