Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Night/Day Flights? Which is best?

Night/Day Flights? Which is best?

Old Aug 29th 2006, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

milliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud of
Default Night/Day Flights? Which is best?

We are hoping to go for a recce in March 2007 and before I book the flights would like some advice from people who have travelled with young children.

We are going from London to Singapore, stop for 3 days, then Singapore to Melbourne, returning from Brisbane to London via Singapore. Is it best to book 2 night flights on the outward bound journey and go hell for leather coming home?

Any advice before I book would be gratefully received

We are travelling Singapore Air as this seems to be the most reliable, they give several options and I have not flown long haul with the brats before so am clueless!! Will be flying with a 7, 4 and 2 year old and I want to get there with my sanity intact!!!!
Old Aug 29th 2006, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

lollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond reputelollyno1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Night/Day Flights? Which is best?

hi

last twice ive travelled its been a night flight and much better for me. Board around 10 pm, dinner around 11 pm then lights dimmed and seemed most people slept. That was with singapore airlines. Im sure there were travellers with young children and I never heard a thing from them.

first time was with virgin atlantic...bloody hell never again...went all round the houses, off and on planes..torture.

My son older than yours, he was 11 and loved the games on the t.v. service.

Hopes this helps and you have a restful journey.

regards

lolly
Old Aug 29th 2006, 2:59 pm
G'Day Mate

AussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeAussieFlyer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I prefer a night flight and arriving early morning in Australia (gain a full day if your not tired by then, i wasn't)

I went with Emirates via Dubai and Singapore probably because it stopped twiced i wasn't tired at all and i didn't feel jet lag aswell, only on the way back to London.

Inflight service was brilliant as a compliment for flying with them for the first time i was upgraded to Business class, will look at Emirates again when it's time to go for good.

I went alone so it was ok, but you have kids im sure the story will be different mind you i won't complain mine (and partners) first is due in March and i'll sooner or later will find out what is travelling like with young children. :scared:

Last edited by AussieFlyer; Aug 29th 2006 at 3:02 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 3:59 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to have done just about every combination known to man, and definitely prefer night flights. You have something to eat, get snuggled up under your blanket and nod off, if you're lucky. Does seem to go more quickly.

I did a day flight from Sydney to Harare - 17 hours of perpetual lunch time. Thought it would never end!

Also easier arriving somewhere in daylight rather than in the middle of the night...

I don't have kids, but on one of my Oz flights I was sitting with a mum travelling on her own with a 5 year old and a 6 month old. She had the baby in one of those magic drop-down cots, and the five year old in his seat. Both slept most of the way. This mum swore by lavender and was spraying it around everywhere (although couldn't do that now with the new restrictions - you'd need one of those lavender balms, if they allow it). Ask for extra blankets and pillows, get the kids wedged in and stick the headphones on 'em with the in-flight radio set to that relax channel thingy Failing that, get all their favourite stories on disc or tape and play them.

Good luck!
Old Aug 29th 2006, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

milliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud ofmilliesmum has much to be proud of

Thanks everyone! Looks like it will be night flights for us then Now just need to look at flight times and try and swing it so we do the bulk of the distance by night.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Another question!!!

When you book can you choose your seats then? If so what are good seats if travelling with kids? Also dh is very tall so needs legroom

Not asking much I know

Aussiflyer, congrats on your pregnancy! One thing you won't be worrying about when the baby comes is flying, plenty more things to occupy you trust me I know!!!

Bundy, maybe some lavender oil might be allowed? Will try and get some balm too, it does work for lots of things.

Lolly, I seriously doubt that the rest of the plane won't know we are there, my kids are soooo noisy I need earplugs just to get through the day
Old Aug 29th 2006, 4:31 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by milliesmum
Another question!!!

When you book can you choose your seats then? If so what are good seats if travelling with kids? Also dh is very tall so needs legroom

Not asking much I know

Aussiflyer, congrats on your pregnancy! One thing you won't be worrying about when the baby comes is flying, plenty more things to occupy you trust me I know!!!

Bundy, maybe some lavender oil might be allowed? Will try and get some balm too, it does work for lots of things.

Lolly, I seriously doubt that the rest of the plane won't know we are there, my kids are soooo noisy I need earplugs just to get through the day
I'd phone the airline and ask for seats at the front of the cabin as these have more legroom. Mention that your OH is very tall, and also that you have kids so unless they want kids climbing all over other passengers en route to the loo, then perhaps they could give you those seats. The seats down the centre of the cabin are usually slightly easier to get in and out of, but don't underestimate the child amusement factor of sitting by the window. Personally, I find sitting in the seats in the centre bizarrely claustrophobic...

I flew to Jersey the other day with the new security arrangements - lavender oil wouldn't be allowed. Not even lip gloss is allowed! You might just about get away with one of those lavender sticks (looks like a lip balm, which is allowed at the moment). Either that, or get some of those wheat pillows that are impregnated with lavender. Even if you can't heat them up, they smell still rises from them.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for that Bundy, will bear that in mind

I am getting so excited, can hardly wait to get there and explore!!! March seems like an age away
Old Aug 29th 2006, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

nolly2120 has much to be proud ofnolly2120 has much to be proud ofnolly2120 has much to be proud ofnolly2120 has much to be proud ofnolly2120 has much to be proud ofnolly2120 has much to be proud ofnolly2120 has much to be proud ofnolly2120 has much to be proud ofnolly2120 has much to be proud ofnolly2120 has much to be proud ofnolly2120 has much to be proud of

Another question!!!

Not asking much I know

We flew to Australia with Singapore airlines with children 5yrs and 4yrs. I would definitely recommend them, they were great with the kids.

We flew from Manchester on the day flight, departure 10.00am. The children played the play station games watched the films and had their lunch, then they turned down the lights in the cabin and our two slept most of way.

we stopped at Singapore for 3 hours then did second leg to Brisbane, were again my two slept most of the way, it was great!!!

We recently flew to Florida with virgin and they had us in the very back row, I didnt like the idea at first, but then the kids could get out of their seat without disturbing anyone and we could recline our seats without having to worry bout the person behind! I would definitely book rear seats again.

Have a great time, it will soon come round!! Where did you say you were going to?

Simone.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

hooray!!! all booked!!!! Cost dh a fortune The SIA webiste/booking is excellent, already chosen seats and was amazed that half the aircraft was already booked out, it must be a popluar time.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 10:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute

Another question!!!

Not asking much I know

This webites good for checking out what the good seats are:

www.seatguru.com

It can be a bit US specific but it's worth a look to get a good idea of what to go for/avoid.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 10:09 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

yep definately ask for bulkhead seats! loads of room and means you can get up and down easily. the airlines wont technically "book" them for you but you have a request attached to your booking ref and get to check in EARLY and you'll be at the head of the requests.

also order kids meals - much easier, and try to get upstairs seating if the configuration is right. We tend to fly Premium Economy with Virgin (as opposed to BA) mainly because on our route theres a PE cabin upstairs and its much roomier than downstairs and only seats 40 odd people so feels like you're on your own little plane! Food and drink service is therefore quicker and you have deicated staff up there making it much more "attentive".
Old Aug 29th 2006, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

We are hoping to go for a recce in March 2007 and before I book the flights would like some advice from people who have travelled with young children.

We are going from London to Singapore, stop for 3 days, then Singapore to Melbourne, returning from Brisbane to London via Singapore. Is it best to book 2 night flights on the outward bound journey and go hell for leather coming home?

Any advice before I book would be gratefully received

We are travelling Singapore Air as this seems to be the most reliable, they give several options and I have not flown long haul with the brats before so am clueless!! Will be flying with a 7, 4 and 2 year old and I want to get there with my sanity intact!!!!
Would go for night flights if I was with you but no matter what you'll end up with the kids being awake for a LONG time .
Thank god next time I go it'll be one way as the return journey was horrendous as no one wanted to come back, kids didn't want to leave Grandma or Australia! Nor did both adults.
Enjoy the recce and look at everything, food prices, house prices, areas to live in, job situation etc etc, will take a lot of time out of the holiday but that's what you're going for. Don't envy you for the journey back it's not nice if you find that you really like Australia having to leave it, but will make you all the more determined to return
Old Aug 30th 2006, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the seat guru link, it was a great help, have changed seats on most of the flight now, we are now at the back of the plane in some good seats and all together which is even better!

You are all so helpful

I am so excited!!!!
Old Aug 30th 2006, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

Max&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to allMax&Ozzy is a name known to all

Thanks for the seat guru link, it was a great help, have changed seats on most of the flight now, we are now at the back of the plane in some good seats and all together which is even better!

You are all so helpful

I am so excited!!!!
Hi,

How did SIA allow you to book your seats so far in advance. I got the impression you can't request them until 48hrs before the flight. That's what the website said anyway??????

cheers,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.