Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Night creatures!

Night creatures!

Old Mar 8th 2004, 11:54 am
over the cuckoo's nest

Slater will become famous soon enoughSlater will become famous soon enough
Default Night creatures!

Just before I turn in, can anyone tell me why nocturnal animals and bugs head straight for the light? always puzzled me.

Slater
Old Mar 8th 2004, 2:07 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Night creatures!

Originally posted by Slater
Just before I turn in, can anyone tell me why nocturnal animals and bugs head straight for the light? always puzzled me.

Slater
Hmmm, interesting, yes....

Maybe warmth??? For energy
Old Mar 8th 2004, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

Natbat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Night creatures!

Originally posted by Slater

Slater

Here is something I (sadly) found on the internet, as I have often wondered this myself

'According to Jim Liebherr, professor of entomology at Cornell University, insects aren't actually attracted to your porch light, despite all of the little moth carcasses you may see inside the globe. Over the millenia, certain insects have learned to use the largest natural night light (which, up until about 100 years ago, was most usually the moon) to navigate. Moths will fly above the treetops, keeping the moon in a fixed location, allowing them to determine their line of movement. Unfortunately for the moth which happens to find itself in your front yard, the light sources that people create are often brighter than the moon. The insect attempts to keep your porch light at a fixed position relative to its body, but because the light source is relatively close to the insect, the result is an ever more violent spiral leading directly to the light.

Why a moth just sits there once it lands by a light is another question you might ask. Unfortunately, the guys at Cornell don't know everything.'

Nat