Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A nice weekend away from Sydney

A nice weekend away from Sydney

Old Jun 8th 2006, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of
Default A nice weekend away from Sydney

Hello Poppets

Does anyone have any recommendations on somewhere to go for a weekend away in July?

Ideally not to far to drive from Sydney CBD on Friday night?

Thanks guys

Laura
Old Jun 8th 2006, 12:41 am
Forum Regular

galloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nicegalloping gaijin is just really nice
Default Re: A nice weekend away from Sydney

A couple of hours and you could spend the weekend in the Hunter Valley?

Lots of variety of accomodation, good selections of restaurants, some stuff for kids or golf for the boys and lots of vineyards to visit and taste the local produce.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

willkerr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lawlaw
Hello Poppets

Does anyone have any recommendations on somewhere to go for a weekend away in July?

Ideally not to far to drive from Sydney CBD on Friday night?

Thanks guys

Laura
Not sure what you are after but if you want a romantic getaway can I suggest one of two places. If money is not object have a look at www.kims.com.au which is near the Entrance or try www.thebarringtons.com.au for a nice place in the Barrington Tops, good for walking and 4WD if that's your thing, might even be snow there!
Old Jun 8th 2006, 4:00 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Look for offers in the Blue Mountains the area will be running loads of the 'Christmas in July' stuff - log cabins and big fires abound

Look at the Peppers Resorts - Port Stephens, 2 hours drive possibly more on a Friday night.

I also think the Hunter is a good area but depending on where you choose will easily be about two hours on a Friday night.

Have fun
Old Jun 8th 2006, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Bert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond reputeBert'n'Stella has a reputation beyond repute

I would recommend going to the Blue Mountains (where I am from). It is 90 mins drive from Sydney and you can stay at my friends' b+b which is www.lurlinehouse.com.au. They are expats themselves, having been here for 10 years. If you tell them you heard from the forum I am sure they will look after you even better!

Lots to do in the mountains - scenic skyrail, scenic railway, lookouts and waterfalls, and Leura is full of cafes, craft stores and quirky stores in general!

Plus in winter they have yulefest - christmas in July. So you can have a full traditional christmas dinner with cold weather, rather than the Oz - more info here http://www.bluemountainswonderland.c...ience.php?id=4.

Stella
Old Jun 8th 2006, 10:14 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

The Southern Highlands are an hour South: nice at any time of year. Frosty in the early am then fine and sunny, log fires in the evening.

Berrima Guest House is a lovely B & B in an historic village: if you like I can PM a phone no.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 10:55 am
small steps long journey

seang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond reputeseang has a reputation beyond repute

I go with Sandras idea. Christmas in july in the mountains. Did it in 2002 twas lovely. Didnt stop whistling xmas tunes till October though.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Princess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nice

Port Stephens! I love, love it. It does take about 3 hours to get there though but worth it.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

orange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant futureorange& has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Princess Leia
Port Stephens! I love, love it. It does take about 3 hours to get there though but worth it.

Try Misty Hideway in Blackheath, Blue Mountains. Great accommodation, good value.

Or Billabong Moon in the lower Hunter Valley.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

Macquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really niceMacquarie is just really nice

Originally Posted by galloping gaijin
A couple of hours and you could spend the weekend in the Hunter Valley?

Lots of variety of accomodation, good selections of restaurants, some stuff for kids or golf for the boys and lots of vineyards to visit and taste the local produce.

I'm with you galloping gaijin - the Hunter Valley is great - so many vineyards to choose from. Lake Macquarie's not bad either.

By the way - how do you get that information displayed in your little placard at the bottom of your post - should I be worried?

Macquarie
Old Jun 8th 2006, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bert'n'Stella
I would recommend going to the Blue Mountains (where I am from). It is 90 mins drive from Sydney and you can stay at my friends' b+b which is www.lurlinehouse.com.au. They are expats themselves, having been here for 10 years. If you tell them you heard from the forum I am sure they will look after you even better!

Lots to do in the mountains - scenic skyrail, scenic railway, lookouts and waterfalls, and Leura is full of cafes, craft stores and quirky stores in general!

Plus in winter they have yulefest - christmas in July. So you can have a full traditional christmas dinner with cold weather, rather than the Oz - more info here http://www.bluemountainswonderland.c...ience.php?id=4.

Stella
I can back this one up. Lurline House is a lovely B&B with 4 poster beds and a beautiful breakfast made to order by the owner.

Just so happens that they are friends of us as well
Old Jun 8th 2006, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

lawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud oflawlaw has much to be proud of

thanks guys for all your replies, I'm gonna show my husband then book something this weekend, CANT WAIT!
Old Jun 8th 2006, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oh yeah we are really looking for somewhere v secluded, with Spa and log cabin feel the need for a bit of romance, dont mind forking out some dollars although that place Kims that someone recommend was maybe a little bit too pricy thanks though
Old Jun 9th 2006, 1:13 am
Forum Regular

willkerr is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh yeah we are really looking for somewhere v secluded, with Spa and log cabin feel the need for a bit of romance, dont mind forking out some dollars although that place Kims that someone recommend was maybe a little bit too pricy thanks though
Kims is a bit pricey but worth it once! If you are after secluded, with spa and log cabin feel I can highly recommended the Barringtons. It's on the end of the National Park there down an unsealed roads, a couple of farms about. There's loads of wildlife about, the food is sensational if you don't want to cook, the cabins are nice, spas for two ;-) Takes a little while to get there but you get to go through the Hunter if you want, well worth a weekend away.
Old Jun 9th 2006, 5:27 am
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point

Oooo have a lovely time...romance....secluded....sounds excellent....enjoy

Wish someone had said to us (pre-kids) have lots of romantic getaways before the kids come along.....cos once their around...you're lucky if you get 5 minutes peace locking yourself in the bathroom :scared:

Now where's my itinerary for the weekend
Drama......golf.....basketball......homework...... ...
de-licing the hair.............................................. ....... :scared:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.