Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

WHICH ARE NICE SUBURBS TO LIVE AROUND GOLD COAST AND BRISBANE???

WHICH ARE NICE SUBURBS TO LIVE AROUND GOLD COAST AND BRISBANE???

Old May 15th 2008, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

sutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to all
Default WHICH ARE NICE SUBURBS TO LIVE AROUND GOLD COAST AND BRISBANE???

Hi
Has anyone got any info on the nice suburbs to live around Gold Coast and Brisbane areas please??
There are so many suburbs and just havent a clue which are the nice and which arent so good, so any info would be great.
I have 3 daughters of 9,11 and 7 months, so am looking for nice community of young familes which lots for kids to do.
Thanks
Mandy

Last edited by sutty77; May 15th 2008 at 12:03 pm.
Old May 15th 2008, 12:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

sa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud ofsa2uk2oz has much to be proud of
Default Re: WHICH ARE NICE SUBURBS TO LIVE AROUND GOLD COAST AND BRISBANE???

Robina
but I'm biased as thats where we live..
Old May 15th 2008, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

Claire Bear is just really niceClaire Bear is just really niceClaire Bear is just really niceClaire Bear is just really niceClaire Bear is just really niceClaire Bear is just really niceClaire Bear is just really niceClaire Bear is just really niceClaire Bear is just really niceClaire Bear is just really niceClaire Bear is just really nice

Hi Mandy,
Sorry dont have much info for ya as were still in uk, but were gonna be heading for the same place so thought id say hi, we have 2 kids 8 and 4 and are after much the same as you Have you had a look on "ourbrisbane" website, you can get some suburb info on there. Good luck
Claire
Old May 15th 2008, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

The Coulsons will become famous soon enoughThe Coulsons will become famous soon enough

Hi Mandy

We are looking into these areas I bought a book ' where to live guides' greater Brisbane it tells you everything about every suburb, who lives there, local schools,entertainment, packed with lots of pictues etc its £19.99 i found it invaluable its also available for other cities
hope this helps
debbie
Old May 15th 2008, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

sutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to allsutty77 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Claire Bear
Hi Mandy,
Sorry dont have much info for ya as were still in uk, but were gonna be heading for the same place so thought id say hi, we have 2 kids 8 and 4 and are after much the same as you Have you had a look on "ourbrisbane" website, you can get some suburb info on there. Good luck
Claire
Hi Claire
Thanks for introducing yourself. Its so great to no that others are in same boat as ourselves. How far on are you with your application and where do you live now may i ask?
Mandy
Old May 15th 2008, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Coulsons
Hi Mandy

We are looking into these areas I bought a book ' where to live guides' greater Brisbane it tells you everything about every suburb, who lives there, local schools,entertainment, packed with lots of pictues etc its £19.99 i found it invaluable its also available for other cities
hope this helps
debbie
Hi
Thanks for that debbie. Where can i buy the book from please? Would be a great help.
Mandy
Old May 15th 2008, 7:23 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sutty77
Hi
Has anyone got any info on the nice suburbs to live around Gold Coast and Brisbane areas please??
There are so many suburbs and just havent a clue which are the nice and which arent so good, so any info would be great.
I have 3 daughters of 9,11 and 7 months, so am looking for nice community of young familes which lots for kids to do.
Thanks
Mandy
Thats a huge area to cover. You need to narrow it down. Your talking about the greater metro Brisbane area and 100 km down the coast and a bit further.
Old May 15th 2008, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Centurion
Thats a huge area to cover. You need to narrow it down. Your talking about the greater metro Brisbane area and 100 km down the coast and a bit further.
Thanks for the reply.
I,ve never been to Oz so its really hard for me as to know where to start.
As for Brisbane area, somewhere on the outskirts, about half hour drive to Brisbane itself for my hubby for work, hes a builder, and somewhere near beaches and other places as i have 3 daughters, 11,9 and 7months.
Hope this helps!!!!!
Mandy
Old May 15th 2008, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

The Coulsons will become famous soon enoughThe Coulsons will become famous soon enough

Hi
Thanks for that debbie. Where can i buy the book from please? Would be a great help.
Mandy
Hi Mandy i ordered it from www.where2live.info sorry i don't know how to do a link it should show all the books available about oz
hope this helps
Debbie
Old May 15th 2008, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

oh links come up anyway
Old May 15th 2008, 9:25 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

...somewhere on the outskirts, about half hour drive to Brisbane itself for my hubby for work
Which? outskirts? or only 30 minutes drive from CBD?

30 minutes drive (peak hour) from CBD may mean less than 10km away and be classed very much as "inner suburbs" - housing will be expensive, smaller and older in these places, but there's likely to be decent public transport options too (parking in CBD sucks).

Outskirts are actually more likely to be 25km away and your morning commute could be as bad as a 80 minute drive. Housing will be cheaper and more modern but you could find yourself a long way from public transport and the journey time on public transport (particualrly buses) - could be horrendous.
Old May 15th 2008, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Claire Bear
Hi Mandy,
Claire
The problem with 'our brisbane ' is that it has nothing but praise for every single suburb, even woodridge

A 'rosetinted' site if ever i saw one
Old May 15th 2008, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply.
I,ve never been to Oz so its really hard for me as to know where to start.
As for Brisbane area, somewhere on the outskirts, about half hour drive to Brisbane itself for my hubby for work, hes a builder, and somewhere near beaches and other places as i have 3 daughters, 11,9 and 7months.
Hope this helps!!!!!
Mandy
If you want to be near beaches i would suggest definitely southside as the nearest you've got northside would be redcliffe and that ain't too spectacular compared to the gold coasts stretch of 30+ KM's. <incoming>

You'll be compromising one way or the other as you can't really get near the beach and within half an hour of brisbane. We are moving to varsity lakes/robina as we love the fact it's so close to the beach there and that is what we came to Australia for BUT we'll most likely have a long commute for work for the immmediate future.

You can't have it all ways i'm afraid.

Nearest places that fit your criteria would be ormeau/coomera as they are just about within hitting distance of the southern suburbs and 'fairly' close to beaches too.

Good luck and keep researching
Old May 16th 2008, 3:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Thanks
Mandy
I know from personal experience how difficult it is to get your head around the scale of regions.

Having been to Brisbane on holiday previous to moving across, I was under the impression that a UK equivalent city would be Manchester; similar population, similar size etc. I was in part right, and in part so wrong as the stats below show:

Brisbane Metro:
Population: 1,820,400 (2006)
Density: 308/km² (798.5/sq mi)
Area: 5904 km² (2279.9sq mi)

Greater Manchester:
Population: 2,547,700
Density: 1,997/km² (5,172/sq mi)
Area: 1276 km² (493 sq mi)

As other posters have mentioned, everywhere is a compromise unless you have remarkably deep pockets.

Just to try and burst the bubble of another common misconception; Brisbane, being a modern city has a modern transport infrastructure. In fact it hasn’t, far from it. Woeful would be the best way to describe it. In the past the city was allowed to grow 'organically' with little thought of future expansion or subsequent needs. They're trying to redress it, but way too late, and the plans they are working on now won't be coming on-line until the middle of the next decade at the earliest.
Old May 16th 2008, 6:03 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spartacus
Woeful would be the best way to describe it. In the past the city was allowed to grow 'organically' with little thought of future expansion or subsequent needs. They're trying to redress it, but way too late, and the plans they are working on now won't be coming on-line until the middle of the next decade at the earliest.
Woeful is being generous.
Commuting back home was a picnic compared to this. People holding each other inside the trains so that the doors can be closed. People spilling out onto the platform at each station to allow those getting off to get out. Major stations closed for 3 years for a bit of tarting up resulting in half the commuters on the north side of the CBD having to change trains mid-journey. Buses being taken off the road due to a) lack of drivers b) lack of serviceable vehicles and c) route changes to make journeys faster - of course journeys are faster, less people are getting on and off the buses cos they no longer service the stops that people want to use,so people are going to work by car again.........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.