Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Nice suburbs around Brisbane

Nice suburbs around Brisbane

Old Mar 21st 2005, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

rayandjane is on a distinguished road
Default Nice suburbs around Brisbane

Can anyone give us a few comments about nice suburbs around Brisbane. Here's the requirement (hopefully realistic! ):

Location: Easy commute (preferably within 20km) to the University campus in St Lucia (Rays job)
Schools: Good primary school is a must.
Housing: 4 bed house with good size garden (3 kids!!!) up to $400,000 but not crammed in on top of the next house like they are in the UK.
Amenities: Local shopping, parks/leisure complex for kids but not too worried about the distance to the beach (hence location).

We've looked at several previous threads and there's a few areas that have come up including Kenmore, Fig Tree Pocket, Jindalee, Jamboree Heights, so if anyone can shed some light on these or any others it would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 21st 2005, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Koza is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nice suburbs around Brisbane

All theese and around are fine, add Indooroopilly and Chapel Hill, Bardon. 400K is a bit tight for that area, but hopefully you will find something.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 12:29 am
GLR
Forum Regular

GLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the roughGLR is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by rayandjane
Can anyone give us a few comments about nice suburbs around Brisbane. Here's the requirement (hopefully realistic! ):

Housing: 4 bed house with good size garden (3 kids!!!) up to $400,000 but not crammed in on top of the next house like they are in the UK.
Hi R&J

Just a quick note to not set your expectations too high on the size of garden you'll get in Brisbane. Prior to arriving we had dreams of having a huge garden however when we got here we found that almost all of the houses in the inner (and even outer) suburbs are built on relatively small plots. The City Council even has a planning policy which specifically limits the size of plots that new houses can be built on - it's an attempt to stop urban sprawal.

All the houses are detached but the house next door will normally be very close by and the back gardens aren't big even by UK standards. You still get more land for your money than the UK but don't expect to be gazing out over 100s of yards of back garden. For that, you'll have to move out to the countryside and buy an acreage plot but the commute would be painful

Cheers

GLR
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 12:54 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Location: Easy commute (preferably within 20km) to the University campus in St Lucia (Rays job)
Amenities: Local shopping, parks/leisure complex for kids but not too worried about the distance to the beach (hence location).

We've looked at several previous threads and there's a few areas that have come up including Kenmore, Fig Tree Pocket, Jindalee, Jamboree Heights, so if anyone can shed some light on these or any others it would be greatly appreciated.
The area's you've said, and those added by Koza are all suitable for your requirements, other than the $400K mark, though I guess it depends exactly what you're after - new/old aircon/pool etc as this will vary the price.
Moving out a bit further (though well within 20k) are areas like Paddington, Stafford, Everton Park etc, particulary the last two will give you more for your money.

Some websites that might be of use to you are;
Real Estate
Suburb map and info

Toowong has a large shopping centre, and of course St Lucia is only about 5km from Brisbane CBD anyway. There's a pretty decent golf course (St Lucia Golf Links) which is currently being renovated there also.
Parks and playing fields are pretty big in Brisbane (Australia?) so you'll almost definitely be near to at least one.
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 10:12 am
Just Joined

RollingStone is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi R&J,

I'd be interested to know what you find. We have similar requirements to you & are looking in around those areas and also a bit further out. Have you found any good / recommended primary schools yet? This is very important to us with 2 boys of 6 & 4 years old.
We were looking a bit further out to try & get a house with some acreage.
How old are your kids?
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

jaruky is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
we're living in Kenmore in a nice rental - kids are well settled at both primary and high schools (been here since December) - I work in Indooroopilly which is near the uni - i sometimes go for a lunchtime swim there!) and it takes 15mins door to desk on the back route.
It's a really nice area, pretty quiet, close enough to shops for what you need and Indo has the large shopping centre - You might need a little more than 400k for what you want around Kenmore, Fig Tree and Chapel Hill - we decided to rent first to see if it's what/where we wanted.
You could look further to Pullenvale or even Bellbowrie - some new plots built out there and some acerage (we nearly rented a 1 acre place for the same price as this one - but i don't particularly enjoy gardening!!)
There's also the Gap and Ashgrove which are a bit further but still easy commuting distance.
PM me if you want to know anything more about these areas,
Si
Jaruky
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RollingStone
Hi R&J,

I'd be interested to know what you find. We have similar requirements to you & are looking in around those areas and also a bit further out. Have you found any good / recommended primary schools yet? This is very important to us with 2 boys of 6 & 4 years old.
We were looking a bit further out to try & get a house with some acreage.
How old are your kids?
Hi Rolly,

Have sent you a PM. We'll keep adding to this thread as we find out more info (good & bad!!) so watch this space!!!

Meanwhile, I feel the need......the need for

R&J
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 7:13 pm

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rolly,

Have sent you a PM. We'll keep adding to this thread as we find out more info (good & bad!!) so watch this space!!!

Meanwhile, I feel the need......the need for

R&J
Hi guys you are back!!!!!! where have you been for so long?????! Have you heard anything on the old visa front yet? I'm still waiting patiently but everythings in now. Willfollow your thread with interest but think i will be moving further out to take advantage of acreage plots - we don't mind a 1 hour drive to Brisbane CBD

Lynn x
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Hi guys you are back!!!!!! where have you been for so long?????! Have you heard anything on the old visa front yet? I'm still waiting patiently but everythings in now. Willfollow your thread with interest but think i will be moving further out to take advantage of acreage plots - we don't mind a 1 hour drive to Brisbane CBD

Lynn x
Hi Lynn,

Been there and back to see how far it is! got a nasty shock.

We have also decided to look further out as Ray doesn't mind a reasonable commute to St Lucia. Been looking at Bellbowrie and The Gap this evening so any info would be good. Some nice properties at good price etc but depends on area I guess. Got to be guided by good schools as well cos of the rug rats.
Where are you looking at or have you not decided yet? this waiting is a nightmare all you can do is try to be patient but have enough of them at work eh!

Are you still thinking about November time? any news on the house front last i read you were getting sorted. We have sort of sold but they are having probs with the mortgage so its also a hurry up and wait. Should all be sorted one way or other by next Wednesday. Then it's countdown time to being homeless. :scared:

Let us know how you are getting on. Think a few of us down here are getting together on Saturday so that will be nice!

speak to you soon
Jane
Old Mar 23rd 2005, 11:41 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lynn,

Been there and back to see how far it is! got a nasty shock.

We have also decided to look further out as Ray doesn't mind a reasonable commute to St Lucia. Been looking at Bellbowrie and The Gap this evening so any info would be good. Some nice properties at good price etc but depends on area I guess. Got to be guided by good schools as well cos of the rug rats.
Where are you looking at or have you not decided yet? this waiting is a nightmare all you can do is try to be patient but have enough of them at work eh!

Are you still thinking about November time? any news on the house front last i read you were getting sorted. We have sort of sold but they are having probs with the mortgage so its also a hurry up and wait. Should all be sorted one way or other by next Wednesday. Then it's countdown time to being homeless. :scared:

Let us know how you are getting on. Think a few of us down here are getting together on Saturday so that will be nice!

speak to you soon
Jane
We already have a house sorted out in Elimbah - my hubbies Aunt and uncles as they are coming back to the UK for a year due to family problems - lovely house with a pool on 3/4 acre block - we will be renting it from them till our land and house is built/ bought. Yes still aiming to move in November but evrything is so uncertain because I don't know when the visa will be granted. House going on market by end of the month - we are slowly decorating and sprucing things up.

We will check area's out once we are renting - Elimbah is about an hours drive to CBD near the glasshouse mountains.

Good luck with everything!
Lynn