Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Nice to make your acquaintances

Nice to make your acquaintances

Old Dec 2nd 2003, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

HugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura about
Default Nice to make your acquaintances

Hello all, new 'junior' member here - i've been browsing for a couple of weeks and already picked up loads of handy hints, particularly on info on taking pets.....and lots of v. amusing posts too!
we're not even ready to send in application til end of next year but i'm already soooo excited, its great reading everyone elses adventures in the meantime.
we're aiming to go for PR in Perth through the Labour Agreement as i'm (another ) nurse and i wondered if anyone else had tried this route?
Hubbie is a copper and will have 7 yrs in the Met by the time we go - wants to apply for WA police. We know as it stands he'll have to start again with the whole 2 yrs probation if accepted and when we were there last year we went in to the Hay st. recruitment centre for a chat and stopped a couple of coppers out on their bikes (!!!!???? ) for a chat about it - all pretty helpful, but anyone any experience or anecdotes about getting accepted in to the police as a non Aussie? Am I asking for trouble with this Q?!!

Many thanks!!
Old Dec 2nd 2003, 9:19 pm
WBB

Default Re: Nice to make your acquaintances

Originally posted by HugoB
Hello all, new 'junior' member here - i've been browsing for a couple of weeks and already picked up loads of handy hints, particularly on info on taking pets.....and lots of v. amusing posts too!
we're not even ready to send in application til end of next year but i'm already soooo excited, its great reading everyone elses adventures in the meantime.
we're aiming to go for PR in Perth through the Labour Agreement as i'm (another ) nurse and i wondered if anyone else had tried this route?
Hubbie is a copper and will have 7 yrs in the Met by the time we go - wants to apply for WA police. We know as it stands he'll have to start again with the whole 2 yrs probation if accepted and when we were there last year we went in to the Hay st. recruitment centre for a chat and stopped a couple of coppers out on their bikes (!!!!???? ) for a chat about it - all pretty helpful, but anyone any experience or anecdotes about getting accepted in to the police as a non Aussie? Am I asking for trouble with this Q?!!

Many thanks!!
not another nurse!!!

only joking, welcome to the forum, sorry i can't help too much with your questions but i am sure somebody will.

have you used the search facility?

Old Dec 2nd 2003, 9:53 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello HugoB,

I dont know anything about the labour areement unfortunately but am a nurse and got my familys PR visas through skilled independant category. This was fairly straightforward and quick compared to most peoples experiences, the rate of nurses going at the moment though they may soon have a surplus!

Good luck,
Michaela
Old Dec 8th 2003, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Hi There,

We have just settled in Mandurah. My husband used to be in the police in the UK for 13 years and is now working as a private investigator in the Perth area. Is your husband dead set on joining the police? If so WA police are recruiting and they would welcome someone in his position. As far as I am aware there are no short cuts in terms of probation etc. As far as acceptance is concerned the "job" appears to be much the same here as in the UK obvious exception that everyone here is armed.
My husband has found that there is a lot of investigation work available outside of the police force.

Please feel free to PM us if you would like more info in this area.

Hope this is of some help and good luck with it all.
Old Dec 8th 2003, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Good luck on your journey, I'm sure there are plenty of folks with good answers to your questions.
Old Dec 8th 2003, 7:16 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks!!
Doesn't WA have the most corrupt police force in Oz?
Old Dec 8th 2003, 8:16 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thought it was NSW or have things changed now?
Old Dec 8th 2003, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Hi and welcome to the forum! Sorry I can't help either, but I just wanted to wish you luck with the whole process.
Old Dec 8th 2003, 10:25 pm

Originally posted by Pollyana
Thought it was NSW or have things changed now?
NSW did something about it. Last I heard WA was struggling. There are still corrupt elements in NSW police but at least they aren't actually committing the crimes anymore.

Politicians are as corrupt as ever and from one of Renth's posts I think that is the same in WA.
Old Dec 8th 2003, 11:17 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Hubbie is a copper and will have 7 yrs in the Met by the time we go - wants to apply for WA police. Many thanks!!
Don't forget that once excepted into the W.A police force your hubby will have to do '2 years country duties' before being based in or near a city!!!!!

This can be very hard on families that aren't use to living in Oz. A friend of mine is in the force and had to do two years in 'the sticks' and it really was out in the middle of no where. Lots of trouble with Aboriginies because they are the only ones who live that far out! Also wasn't allowed to join the Police force until he was a citizen (after two years on PR Visa)

Good luck.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

HugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura aboutHugoB has a spectacular aura about

Corrupt in which ways? I'm suddenly feeling all 'Untouchables'!!!
When we went for a recruitment chat last year we were told about the country placement (we were quite looking forward to it actually - fancied a nice little stint near Kalbarrie or Exmouth!!! ), but didnt think this would be until after the 2 yrs probation. WA police website still states PR required to apply, rather than citizenship.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 7:52 pm

Planting Evidence
dinosaurs, thugs and bullies"
http://www.smuggled.com/vrb1.htm
http://www.mapinc.org/ccnews/v02/n1214/a05.html?351

The above will give you a start.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

Ah yes but we could pull up stuff like this from any police service anywhere in the world i'm sure..............some of it's pretty old. Papers never want to print the thousands of good guy police stories that go on all the time. We knew there was a Royal Commission going on so hopefully some of the problems are being addressed already - sounds like an ideal opportunity for them to grab an upstanding Met officer with both hands and promote them to giddy heights in an effort to strive for a corruption free future..............blah blah....
Old Dec 9th 2003, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Ah yes but we could pull up stuff like this from any police service anywhere in the world i'm sure..............some of it's pretty old. Papers never want to print the thousands of good guy police stories that go on all the time. We knew there was a Royal Commission going on so hopefully some of the problems are being addressed already - sounds like an ideal opportunity for them to grab an upstanding Met officer with both hands and promote them to giddy heights in an effort to strive for a corruption free future..............blah blah....

Hello.
How would you both feel about being in the sticks..:scared:
do you have a family ?????
Old Dec 9th 2003, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Hubby says 'don't mind' !! To be honest we havent really thought in depth about what it would be like - I guess it would depend on where we were sent. We are both quite keen to get out exploring the big out doors and do some 4WD off roading and camping having lived most of our lives in cities. so I would like to think we'd treat the experience as an adventure - its only for a set period of time and they provide housing.
Guess it would also depend on the timing as if we get to WA on the Labour Agreement for nurses I'd be tied in to a contract. Also have baby girl at the moment but if she were in school by then .....?? Still, the police do (believe it or not!!) consider employees welfare and i'm sure we could postpone the country placement if necessary - it just has to be done at some point.

(It would be quite a bonus to get posted to Exmouth though!!!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.