NHS services

Old May 31st 2006, 4:43 am
Just Joined

Little Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant future
Default NHS services

I am returning to U.K for a family celebration in 2 weeks time. Am I still entitled to full NHS services during my stay if required? By that I mean emergency services or G.P if we become unwell. We have been here now for 2 years if that makes any difference.
Old May 31st 2006, 5:25 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NHS services

Originally Posted by Little Miss Sunshine
I am returning to U.K for a family celebration in 2 weeks time. Am I still entitled to full NHS services during my stay if required? By that I mean emergency services or G.P if we become unwell. We have been here now for 2 years if that makes any difference.
Yes the two countries have a reciprocal arrangement.
Old May 31st 2006, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

willkerr is an unknown quantity at this point

Surely if you have a UK passport you are entitled to treatment in the NHS irrelevant of where you live?
Old May 31st 2006, 5:39 am
Just Joined

Little Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant futureLittle Miss Sunshine has a brilliant future

Thanks,

someone told me that if you live outside the country for a period of time then you are no longer entitled to NHS treatment. Hopefully I was mis informed.
Old May 31st 2006, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

willkerr is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks,

someone told me that if you live outside the country for a period of time then you are no longer entitled to NHS treatment. Hopefully I was mis informed.
Just found this which is interesting

Free GP treatment is based on residence in the UK, not on nationality, the payment of UK taxes or National Insurance contributions. A person who is regarded as ordinarily resident in the UK is eligible for free treatment by a GP. A person is 'ordinarily resident' for this purpose if lawfully living in the UK for a settled purpose as part of the regular order of his or her life for the time being. Anyone coming to live in this country would qualify as ordinarily resident.

Overseas visitors to the UK are not regarded as ordinarily resident if they do not meet this description. For example, a person who emigrated from the UK, but returns sometimes for visits is not seen as ordinarily resident, regardless of any previous UK taxes or contributions they have paid or receive. He or she would not normally be entitled to free NHS treatment from a GP. Any person who leaves this country to live abroad should be removed from his or her GP list after 3 months.

Any person, whether ordinarily resident or not, requiring treatment that a GP regards as emergency or immediately necessary shall receive that treatment free of charge, whether registered with a GP or not.

GPs have the choice of accepting patients either as fully registered patients or as temporary residents if they are in the area for more than 24 hours but less than three months. They may offer to accept non-qualifying patients as private patients, liable to pay fees for treatment.

With regards to hospitals the rules are a bit more confusing have a look at http://www.avert.org/freenhs.htm
Old May 31st 2006, 6:25 am
Just Joined

Thanks, that is along the lines of what I was previously told. I better hope that we dont get sick.
Old May 31st 2006, 6:30 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, that is along the lines of what I was previously told. I better hope that we dont get sick.
Tony Blair's Britain, what a dump.
Old May 31st 2006, 6:36 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I know there is still a reciprocal agreement with Australia, for emergency healthcare.

G
Old May 31st 2006, 6:40 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
As far as I know there is still a reciprocal agreement with Australia, for emergency healthcare.

G
Look here:

http://www.dfat.gov.au/geo/united_ki...dom_brief.html

G
Old May 31st 2006, 6:51 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by willkerr
With regards to hospitals the rules are a bit more confusing have a look at http://www.avert.org/freenhs.htm
If you read through that link it states quite clearly that there is a reciprocal agreement with Australia.

G
Old May 31st 2006, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

G
There must be, our kids tested it out 2am the day we were due to leave , brilliant service, would be unheard of here, a doctor came to the house, gave us emergency drugs to get us through and a medical cert in case we had any difficulties for travel ins, the next morning we had a prescription to fill and having lived in OZ for a few years went to pay for it them remembered it was free. It was an emergency tho, not a routine thing.
Old May 31st 2006, 9:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

G
Oi! that's what I said
Old May 31st 2006, 10:36 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Oi! that's what I said
I know.......but then someone said different and then the OP changed their mind again.

G
Old May 31st 2006, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Surely you'd have travel insurance anyway? What if you are ill in transit, in Singapore or wherever?