Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NHS medical cards? and medicare?

NHS medical cards? and medicare?

Old Apr 9th 2007, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond reputeGems has a reputation beyond repute
Default NHS medical cards? and medicare?

Hello,

sorting through some stuff. Do I need to show NHS medical cards to medicare office? To get Medicare when on 457 visa? UK/Australia medical agreement (Yes, I know I am supposed to get private cover alongside this).

Or will they just need to see UK passports and visas? Its for a family.

I have found hubbies and my NHS medical card also the kids (but cant find my oldest child's NHS card!)
Its the paper NHS card that you use to join doctors in England..

Or we all have the new plastic NHS (UK medical cards that replaced E111 for using in EU) The ones you use on holidays for emergency treatment. They have NHS numbers on etc.

Anyone know if we need to show the NHS cards? Just if it has to be the paper ones will have to get in touch with authority and get them to send me a replacement one for my eldest child.

Gems
Old Apr 9th 2007, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

sam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nicesam mick kurt is just really nice
Default Re: NHS medical cards? and medicare?

Originally Posted by Gems
Hello,

sorting through some stuff. Do I need to show NHS medical cards to medicare office? To get Medicare when on 457 visa? UK/Australia medical agreement (Yes, I know I am supposed to get private cover alongside this).

I have found hubbies and my NHS medical card also the kids (but cant find my oldest child's NHS card!)

Or we all have the new plastic NHS (UK medical cards that replaced E111 for using in EU) The ones you use on holidays for emergency treatment. They have NHS numbers on etc.

Anyone know if we need to show the NHS cards? Just if it has to be the paper ones will have to get in touch with authority and get them to send me a replacement one for my eldest child.

Gems
take you cards for nhs to medicare they dont need them ( i dont think) but took ours and they did photocopy them! so they may ?! they do have reciprical health care agreements between uk and aus ! by the way i only had my own and sons OH didn't have his wasn't a problem for us !

Last edited by sam mick kurt; Apr 9th 2007 at 5:17 pm. Reason: couldn't spell!!!
Old Apr 9th 2007, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

RubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really nice

Originally Posted by Gems
Hello,

Gems
Not wanting to hijack your thread or anything but.....who do I need to tell (in terms of authorities/health/benefits etc), that I've arrived in the counrty with 2 kids?? Both kids have citizenship by descent.

I know that - in the UK - just being born here means that you're automatically in the system. What about in OZ? I'm guessing that I visit Centrelink and ask for info....but what do you know??

Also....is it true that child benefits (or child allowance) is paid on the basis of the child having had their 'jabs'?

Sorry for the dis-jointed questions...and in possibly the wrong thread.

Regards
Old Apr 9th 2007, 9:26 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Show your visa in the Medicare office and you get registered.

Dont bother to take NHS cards or any other crap from the UK.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Dont bother to take NHS cards or any other crap from the UK.[/QUOTE]
We have been asked to produce our NHS cards to claim medicare on our 457 visa. Perhaps this is unusual but we had to get new ones issued and sent out and our local medicare office would not process our application without them.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Katherined0
We have been asked to produce our NHS cards to claim medicare on our 457 visa. Perhaps this is unusual but we had to get new ones issued and sent out and our local medicare office would not process our application without them.
I think that this is unusual. We are on a 457 visa and the only thing that we had to show to register was our Passports complete with visa.
Old Apr 9th 2007, 11:21 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yanH
I think that this is unusual. We are on a 457 visa and the only thing that we had to show to register was our Passports complete with visa.
They should have asked for proof you were formerly resident in the UK, as that is the criteria for eligibility. Not citizenship.

But it's been established for a long time on these forums that many front-line Medicare staff often have only a hazy understanding of the rules.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAJ
They should have asked for proof you were formerly resident in the UK, as that is the criteria for eligibility. Not citizenship.

But it's been established for a long time on these forums that many front-line Medicare staff often have only a hazy understanding of the rules.
Judging by the posts regarding Medicare on this board it does seem that the response of Medicare staff to people on 457 visa's is mixed. Some (like us) seem to be registered with no problems and without even having to present the required documentation as JAJ pointed out. Others seem to either be told that they are not eligible or have to undergo the third degree to get registered I suppose it comes down to whether the person/office dealing with you has processed 457 applicants before.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 4:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Originally Posted by yanH
Judging by the posts regarding Medicare on this board it does seem that the response of Medicare staff to people on 457 visa's is mixed. Some (like us) seem to be registered with no problems and without even having to present the required documentation as JAJ pointed out. Others seem to either be told that they are not eligible or have to undergo the third degree to get registered I suppose it comes down to whether the person/office dealing with you has processed 457 applicants before.
Given the inconsistency surely it's better to take your NHS cards with you!
Old Apr 10th 2007, 7:29 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Katherined0
Given the inconsistency surely it's better to take your NHS cards with you!
I had far more problems than most registering with Medicare, but I know for sure that my NHS card wouldn't have helped one bit! Healthcare professionals here really are not interested in your previous history. They prefer to do their own investigations and analysis.

I really wouldn't bother bringing your NHS card with you. Nobody will care!

S
Old Apr 10th 2007, 9:37 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

There are people from all over the world who come on 457 visas who don't have NHS. What do you think they do? Just bring your passport with your visa and that should be all the identification they need.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 11:51 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
There are people from all over the world who come on 457 visas who don't have NHS. What do you think they do? Just bring your passport with your visa and that should be all the identification they need.
Most people "from all over the world" are not eligible for reciprocal medicare. The NHS card is about proving eligibility for this, not identification.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

It doesn't hurt to take all the stuff you have. If they don't need it then they will not use it. Simple.

Hope it all goes well when you get here!