Next on my list

Old Jul 13th 2004, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Troood will become famous soon enough
Default Next on my list

Hellloooo my lovely fellow forum members. Slowly going through my list of things to do before we fly off in October. Have booked Crown for shipping our goods, Golden Arrow for our pooch and have arranged 3 weeks accomodation on arrival. Party organised, car boots being done, bank account sorted.

Now...whats next. Car hire. I've searched on this site but thought I'd send out a quick request for help.

Anyone going/or in Melbourne that can recommend a good car hire company. Budget seem to be the cheapest but just wondered if anyone had any other suggestions. Also - what kind of car would suit 2 adults, 1 toddler and 3 x 40kgs of luggage

I was gonna go for the smallest/cheapest option but don't think our bags would all fit in.

Any help, as always would be appreciated.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 10:10 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Next on my list

What about arranging a large taxi vehicle from airport to accomo thus you do not have to hire a big vehicle when most of the time you will not be transporting your 120kg of luggage. (also isn't car hire from airport usually more expensive?)

You will also need to hire/buy an Australian car seat for the toddler as these are the only ones that are legal.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Troood
Hellloooo my lovely fellow forum members. Slowly going through my list of things to do before we fly off in October. Have booked Crown for shipping our goods, Golden Arrow for our pooch and have arranged 3 weeks accomodation on arrival. Party organised, car boots being done, bank account sorted.

Now...whats next. Car hire. I've searched on this site but thought I'd send out a quick request for help.

Anyone going/or in Melbourne that can recommend a good car hire company. Budget seem to be the cheapest but just wondered if anyone had any other suggestions. Also - what kind of car would suit 2 adults, 1 toddler and 3 x 40kgs of luggage

I was gonna go for the smallest/cheapest option but don't think our bags would all fit in.

Any help, as always would be appreciated.
Europcar was the cheapest when I went last November. The travel agent suggested autocars but even with her discount it was more than Europcar!
Europcars St Kilda and the city branch were very helpful ,I hired a Ford Focus. lovely to drive.
I'm going looking at rentabomb for the next trip to save money but still trying to find someone who would recommend them!?
I'll be interested in the replies you get
Old Jul 13th 2004, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Troood will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by walaj
What about arranging a large taxi vehicle from airport to accomo thus you do not have to hire a big vehicle when most of the time you will not be transporting your 120kg of luggage. (also isn't car hire from airport usually more expensive?)

You will also need to hire/buy an Australian car seat for the toddler as these are the only ones that are legal.

Hiya

That might be a good idea, especially as we land at 7am and might be a little jaded from the journey! I'm assuming we'd be able to pick up a taxi pretty easily from the airport at that time of the morning. We're heading for Carrum initially so I'm not sure whether it might work out a bit pricey.

Thanks for the idea though.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 10:33 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

From what I have read it would be best to prebook a vehicle if you want child car seat in it, and especially if you need one big enough for your luggage.

I've not been to Melbourne, so not familiar with distance there - however from Melbourne airport website:

Taxis are available from the ground floor level of Melbourne Airport. Expect to pay around A$35 to A$40 for the 30 minute trip into the centre of Melbourne.

A $2.00 taxi parking fee now applies at Melbourne Airport. This $2.00 per vehicle fee only applies to passengers leaving Melbourne Airport from a taxi rank. A $3.00 per vehicle pre-booked taxi fee also applies for passengers catching a taxi from the Premium Parking area opposite the International Terminal.
Old Jul 13th 2004, 10:53 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Troood
Hiya

That might be a good idea, especially as we land at 7am and might be a little jaded from the journey! I'm assuming we'd be able to pick up a taxi pretty easily from the airport at that time of the morning. We're heading for Carrum initially so I'm not sure whether it might work out a bit pricey.

Thanks for the idea though.
ITrood - didn't have any trouble getting a taxi at 7am .
if you're worried you could call the yellow cabs and ask their price to Carrum -

YELLOW CABS
35 Downing St Oakleigh
TAXI BOOKINGS 13 2227
Office/Training (03) 9569 0727
Fax (03) 9563 0358
Old Jul 13th 2004, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

jerzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by walaj
We were planning on bringing our UK car/booster seat with us, from what you say it won't be legal ?
Old Jul 13th 2004, 2:23 pm
no longer searching

Originally posted by jerzy
We were planning on bringing our UK car/booster seat with us, from what you say it won't be legal ?
look at the para: notes for overseas visitors

I know a bit of a pain, as when we go our baby may need the next size up which at most will only get a few months use in the UK.