Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Newspaper article on 457 visas

Newspaper article on 457 visas

Old Jun 19th 2013, 2:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Newspaper article on 457 visas

I post this in case it is on any interest:

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/how...619-2oj69.html
Old Jun 19th 2013, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

NATIONAL-VELVET is a jewel in the roughNATIONAL-VELVET is a jewel in the roughNATIONAL-VELVET is a jewel in the roughNATIONAL-VELVET is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Newspaper article on 457 visas

Excuse me if I sound ignorant, but I don't understand why any employer would willingly go to the expense (visa fees, relocation costs, flights, etc.), hassle and bureaucratic nightmare of getting someone from 10'000 miles away (for example), having to wait 3 months for them to get here, not knowing if they'll get homesick and leave within another 3 months, when they could employ an Australian to start work tomorrow? (assuming there are - as the article implies - Aussies able to do the job).

Also, if I were an employer and needed to fill a position pretty sharpish, why would I then consider spending 6 months to a year (plus the added expense) training an previously-unemployed person?

I just wonder whom this article is targeting - I mean, who are the 'dodgy employers' to whom it refers?

I'm also curious as to what sorts of professions will be classified as 'highly skilled', if anyone knows...?

N-V
Old Jun 19th 2013, 7:52 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NATIONAL-VELVET
Excuse me if I sound ignorant, but I don't understand why any employer would willingly go to the expense (visa fees, relocation costs, flights, etc.), hassle and bureaucratic nightmare of getting someone from 10'000 miles away (for example), having to wait 3 months for them to get here, not knowing if they'll get homesick and leave within another 3 months, when they could employ an Australian to start work tomorrow? (assuming there are - as the article implies - Aussies able to do the job).

Also, if I were an employer and needed to fill a position pretty sharpish, why would I then consider spending 6 months to a year (plus the added expense) training an previously-unemployed person?

I just wonder whom this article is targeting - I mean, who are the 'dodgy employers' to whom it refers?

I'm also curious as to what sorts of professions will be classified as 'highly skilled', if anyone knows...?

N-V
Many employers don't pay any relocation expenses, or flights, or anything aoart from the sponsorship fee. They get employees in, many from the "third world" -sometimes allegedly find ways around paying them market rates. Theu kmow the employees won't complain, they earn far more here than back home, and if they leave the job they have to leave the country.
There's been several articles in major news outlets lately about clampdowns on firms that aren't playing by the rules, so it certainly does happen
Old Jun 19th 2013, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

NATIONAL-VELVET is a jewel in the roughNATIONAL-VELVET is a jewel in the roughNATIONAL-VELVET is a jewel in the roughNATIONAL-VELVET is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for clarifying that, Pollyana. I didn't realise some companies would risk flouting the law like that, but I guess the lack of regulation doesn't provide much incentive to play 'by the book'...

I feel lucky that my spouse's line of work is genuinely in demand and won't put us in such a position. Let's hope they clamp down on the other companies :-)

N-V
Old Jun 19th 2013, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to allMummy3 is a name known to all

I am sure this all takes place but for those of us on genuine 457 with large corporate companies who has genuinely tried to source local employment possibilities it makes you want to shout don't tar everyone with the same brush!
Old Jun 19th 2013, 11:18 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy3
I am sure this all takes place but for those of us on genuine 457 with large corporate companies who has genuinely tried to source local employment possibilities it makes you want to shout don't tar everyone with the same brush!
I hear you! As ever, its the minority who ruin it for the majority. I've known lots of people on 457s in genuine positions, but I also see more and more reports of companies not sticking to the rule book.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 12:11 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NATIONAL-VELVET
Thanks for clarifying that, Pollyana. I didn't realise some companies would risk flouting the law like that, but I guess the lack of regulation doesn't provide much incentive to play 'by the book'...

I feel lucky that my spouse's line of work is genuinely in demand and won't put us in such a position. Let's hope they clamp down on the other companies :-)

N-V

There's plenty of regulation, N-V.

It's just not (in my humble view) policed adequately by DIAC compliance.

Best regards.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Many of these jobs, sort of low skill, can be done by the visa holders. Simple as.
There is a demand of sorts. It's easy for some.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 6:32 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Look at the industries that flout the compliances, look at the demographics of the Visa holders and look at the salaries compared to what they earn in home country......THEN you will understand. This is not aimed at corporate industry and higher salaried employees of good calibre, this is aimed at food service sweatshops!!
To N-V.....in response to your 'why on earth....' question, its simply because there are not enough Australians with the right skills for some of the higher end jobs, if you want to bring someone in who has the right skills, the right global experience and the right credentials then, just like you would anywhere else in the world, you ensure you pay for them and make their transition easy. You source the right people and you get the right rewards.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
There's plenty of regulation, N-V.

It's just not (in my humble view) policed adequately by DIAC compliance.

Best regards.
Yes that's what I'd heard. They know they can't check up on every company. It's a bit like dog-fouling - heavy fines if you do it, but hard to get caught!
Old Jun 20th 2013, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by paddyo
To N-V.....in response to your 'why on earth....' question, its simply because there are not enough Australians with the right skills for some of the higher end jobs, if you want to bring someone in who has the right skills, the right global experience and the right credentials then, just like you would anywhere else in the world, you ensure you pay for them and make their transition easy. You source the right people and you get the right rewards.
Hi Paddyo, yes it was kind of a rhetorical question - if employers are going through the hassle / paying the money to get someone over then that should be a good indication that there aren't any Aussies able to do the job.

I've been a bit apprehensive about all I've heard on the (Aussie) radio or read in the papers /online, etc. because when / if we come over I don't want my OH to be regarded as someone who is taking Aussie jobs (a bit like the Eastern Europeans are regarded in the UK - rightly or wrongly), but it's reassuring to hear it's not the highly-skilled professions they're talking about ( I can stop having nightmares about being egged in the street, lol! )

N-V
Old Jun 20th 2013, 9:26 am
Social Grenade Thrower

paddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond reputepaddyo has a reputation beyond repute

Well.....like the UK a lot of the jobs that are being 'taken' by immigrants are simply the jobs that Australians are too lazy to do or feel is beneath them. Also some of this is just political rhetoric trying to find any chink in government policies.....and a lot of own goals are being scored, especially by the Prime Minister who has decried 457 Visas.....whilst employing a 457 Visa holder as her Communications Secretary!! Looney!!
Old Jun 20th 2013, 9:41 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

There is a big billboard on the way in to Melbourne from the airport saying no more 457s they should increase tafe apprenticeships and train our own so it is aimed at skilled workers
Old Jun 20th 2013, 9:46 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Abc 730 had a report on TCS abususing the scheme. It's friggin obvious on site.
Old Jun 20th 2013, 10:27 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
There is a big billboard on the way in to Melbourne from the airport saying no more 457s they should increase tafe apprenticeships and train our own so it is aimed at skilled workers
I have a big sign in my office

Overseas Experience Preferred

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.