Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

News: Property Market Spruiking....what shortages.. another Bubble?

News: Property Market Spruiking....what shortages.. another Bubble?

Old Nov 11th 2009, 3:16 pm
Lifestyle Development

balkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the roughbalkanghost is a jewel in the rough
Default News: Property Market Spruiking....what shortages.. another Bubble?

Article at end popped up in the comments section of a Melbourne Age article:

"Oh, what a lovely recession … for comfortable old folks" suggesting that older generation (of property owners) are benefitting at the expense of the younger generation in employment, benefits, housing, inflated salaries etc.
Below explains the supposed "housing shortage" that media and real estate industry keep on telling us about.....

Property Spruikers Claim Australia Suffers from a ‘Chronic Housing Shortage’

Last Friday we sent a request to Money Morning readers. We asked if they had any authentic research to support the claim made by property spruikers that Australia suffers from a 'chronic housing shortage.' We assumed there must be such research in existence. After all, it is the main basis the property bulls make to support the idea of continually rising property prices.
Fascinating article ...... and explains how the media have been boosting while the property industry has been spruiking and the govt. inducing...... rhymes
Old Nov 11th 2009, 10:28 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: News: Property Market Spruiking....what shortages.. another Bubble?

The only thing that I have seen to confirm 'suitable property' shortages, are the numbers of people wanting to buy or rent properties when they become available.

I've read on here many times about renters offering more than requested to try to beat the other hoards that also want the property.

We also see statistics that "prove" there is no 'property' shortage.

However, we must consider one word.... "suitable".

It appears there is no shortage of property, but there does appear to be a shortage of "suitable" property.

People seem to know what they want, and what they do not want, and are prepared to pay extra for what they want.

While that attitude stays, prices will logically rise.

Old Nov 11th 2009, 11:48 pm
FHI
Forum Regular

FHI is on a distinguished road

I think both house price supply and price rises are very patchy in nature. For example, I know of houses in the $1million plus price range that cannot be sold whereas other houses in the $700-850 range are moving quickly - even in the same areas.
Old Nov 11th 2009, 11:56 pm
Account Closed

Catch is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by balkanghost

"Oh, what a lovely recession … for comfortable old folks" suggesting that older generation (of property owners) are benefitting at the expense of the younger generation in employment, benefits, housing, inflated salaries etc.
Below explains the supposed "housing shortage" that media and real estate industry keep on telling us about.....

Last Friday we sent a request to Money Morning readers. We asked if they had any authentic research to support the claim made by property spruikers that Australia suffers from a 'chronic housing shortage.' We assumed there must be such research in existence. After all, it is the main basis the property bulls make to support the idea of continually rising property prices.
Fascinating article ...... and explains how the media have been boosting while the property industry has been spruiking and the govt. inducing...... rhymes
dont know about the media spruiking,plenty of resident landlords on here will be along in a minute to try and discredit anything that suggests housing is expensive in oz.Everyone's got a vested interest mate ,your either a renter,owner or landlord,and your opinion will determine which side of the fence you sit on.In oz there is no such thing as a neutral opinion.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 12:06 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Catch
dont know about the media spruiking,plenty of resident landlords on here will be along in a minute to try and discredit anything that suggests housing is expensive in oz.Everyone's got a vested interest mate ,your either a renter,owner or landlord,and your opinion will determine which side of the fence you sit on.In oz there is no such thing as a neutral opinion.
I own my house and no other real estate. It is a small portion of my assets. I can not be bothered moving or selling to rent. I don't stand to lose or gain significantly which ever way real estate prices go. I am neutral. I think real estate prices are stupidly high.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 12:19 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by WillBlack
I own my house and no other real estate. It is a small portion of my assets. I can not be bothered moving or selling to rent. I don't stand to lose or gain significantly which ever way real estate prices go. I am neutral. I think real estate prices are stupidly high.
if thats your true opinion i will take my hat off to you,for seeing things clearly and not been blinded by personal gain or loss
Old Nov 12th 2009, 12:23 am
ABCDiamond

There are actually a lot of Australians who think exactly the same as that.

Old Nov 12th 2009, 12:33 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: News: Property Market Spruiking....what shortages.. another Bubble?

I have no idea what the market is doing, or what it's supposed to be doing, or who's telling the truth about what's going on.

All I know is that I received a professional valuation of my house yesterday and learned that its value has increased by $35,000 in two and a half years.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

I am another one not bothered, own a house that I love and have no plans to sell, move or buy another one (don't think it's the best way to invest money).

I agree that the house prices are very high.
In area where I live due to it's popularity with Chinese immigrants (for whom more than half a mil is still only pocket change) and very good schools prices have been steadily rising over last 3 years and now are at crazy level.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 1:18 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
There are actually a lot of Australians who think exactly the same as that.
not many that post on here do
Old Nov 12th 2009, 1:19 am
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

If Australian house prices are off to the races again it would seem that the Australian government has been successful in propping up house prices. However, at what cost? Are we just kicking the can down the road for a future generation to pay for? Government policy effectively encourages Australian households to save very little and to take on large debts just to finance the purchase of a home, just the kind of behaviour that facilitated the US housing bubble.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 1:20 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I have no idea what the market is doing, or what it's supposed to be doing, or who's telling the truth about what's going on.

All I know is that I received a professional valuation of my house yesterday and learned that its value has increased by $35,000 in two and a half years.
they didnt tell you about the new freeway that is planned for the bottom of your garden
Old Nov 12th 2009, 1:26 am
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swigski
If Australian house prices are off to the races again it would seem that the Australian government has been successful in propping up house prices. However, at what cost? Are we just kicking the can down the road for a future generation to pay for? Government policy effectively encourages Australian households to save very little and to take on large debts just to finance the purchase of a home, just the kind of behaviour that facilitated the US housing bubble.
"Population up 40% by 2050". Brisbane, Sydney & Melbourne to take most.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 1:27 am
Banned

swigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to allswigski is a name known to all

Originally Posted by balkanghost

Not only the media and Govt have an interest......

http://www.crikey.com.au/2009/08/12/...ousing-bubble/

As long as Australia’s banks have an interest in propping up residential property, the bubble will be tentatively kept alive. However, the risks of this path are significant. As Dan Denning in the Daily Reckoning noted presciently yesterday:

The bigger risk … is that Australia’s banks will become increasingly reliant on rising house prices to spur demand for new mortgages. That’s the process that contributes to earnings and keeps the balance sheet ticking along. The loans made to mortgagees go on the balance sheet as assets. They are funded from money borrowed abroad, which goes on the balance sheet as a liability.

The trouble here is that assets can change in value while liabilities do not. The debt has to be repaid, even if house prices fall. Australia’s banks are gambling with the capital structure of the entire nation, sinking more and more borrowed money into residential housing. It’s the biggest and riskiest bet yet.

Yes. Big, risky and very stupid. As no doubt Japanese banks can attest.
Old Nov 12th 2009, 1:29 am
Banned

"Population up 40% by 2050". Brisbane, Sydney & Melbourne to take most.
I suppose they will be living in cardboard boxes then!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.