Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

News in OZ versus news in U.K

News in OZ versus news in U.K

Old Aug 12th 2008, 6:08 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News in OZ versus news in U.K

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
Ha-ha that statement makes me laugh.

No actual bill of rights or provision of free speech here (yes people, Australia does not actually have free speech).

Too much control of Media (there is actually a law about the number of stations we have and how much shown has to be Australian content).

No equal rights for all citizens – eg: gay people pay the exact same tax as straight people but are not entitled to the same things or benefits or entitlements for things like super.

It’s law that you MUST vote, even if you don’t like either person running, Voting is a right and like most democratic countries you should have the right to not vote!

Too much control with things like supermarkets – Woolworths and Coles control the majority, this is why we have such high prices.

Too many pathetic anti-competition laws, this is why flights are so high, food so high, TV so bad.

The list could go on and on, but Australia is nothing close to what a true democratic country should be.

Oh and as for the news, yes here it is total crap – local news for local people, I think they are just ignorant to the outside world (Australia to Aussies is the centre of everything remember, the best country in the world!). We are lucky to have the internet so we can find out what’s happening outside of this island, and as for the Olympics, going by Australian media you’d think only one country was participating!

Mikey
pretty much spot on
Old Aug 12th 2008, 6:09 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

No equal rights for all citizens – eg: gay people pay the exact same tax as straight people but are not entitled to the same things or benefits or entitlements for things like super.
Actually they can pay MORE tax because the ATO does not recognise same sex relationships. Fair go indeed.

Last edited by bcworld; Aug 12th 2008 at 6:14 am.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 6:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

No actual bill of rights or provision of free speech here (yes people, Australia does not actually have free speech).

Too much control of Media (there is actually a law about the number of stations we have and how much shown has to be Australian content).

It’s law that you MUST vote, even if you don’t like either person running, Voting is a right and like most democratic countries you should have the right to not vote!

Too much control with things like supermarkets – Woolworths and Coles control the majority, this is why we have such high prices.

Too many pathetic anti-competition laws, this is why flights are so high, food so high, TV so bad.

The list could go on and on, but Australia is nothing close to what a true democratic country should be.

Oh and as for the news, yes here it is total crap – local news for local people, I think they are just ignorant to the outside world (Australia to Aussies is the centre of everything remember, the best country in the world!). We are lucky to have the internet so we can find out what’s happening outside of this island, and as for the Olympics, going by Australian media you’d think only one country was participating!

Mikey

Yes that's right a democracy like many others.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 6:14 am
BE Enthusiast

svinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud of

Mikey

You are very right about the olympics, i thought it was just Australia until i read the lassie winning the gold for Britain in the 400m freestyle on Monday...Everything you said i can totally agree with..

Suzanne
Old Aug 12th 2008, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Mikeyc;6670991] as for the Olympics, going by Australian media you’d think only one country was participating!

Do you mean there's other country's competing?
Old Aug 12th 2008, 6:25 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=manc1;6671025]
as for the Olympics, going by Australian media you’d think only one country was participating!

Do you mean there's other country's competing?

Really? Not according to Channel 7?

But to be fair Channel 7's coverage of the adverts is excellent.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Actually they can pay MORE tax because the ATO does not recognise same sex relationships. Fair go indeed.
Apparently this is changing under Labour though They were discussing it on Q&A the other night.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

And can someone please explain to me why Australia has to give its teams stupid names, like “Olyroos” and “Hockeyroos”

It’s never Australia V’s Serbia, it’s “Olyroo’s V’s Serbia”?? What’s with that?

Mikey
Old Aug 12th 2008, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

And can someone please explain to me why Australia has to give its teams stupid names, like “Olyroos” and “Hockeyroos”

Mikey
So they can understand it?
Old Aug 12th 2008, 6:42 am
BE Forum Addict

[QUOTE=Notts_bloke;6671042]
Originally Posted by manc1

Really? Not according to Channel 7?

But to be fair Channel 7's coverage of the adverts is excellent.
Yes I particularly enjoyed the Qantas ads every 20 mins during the coverage of the opening ceremony. Really enhanced the national pride I thought. Even OH (who's an Aussie) was grumbling about the ads during it.
Old Aug 12th 2008, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=rabsody;6671085]
Originally Posted by Notts_bloke

Yes I particularly enjoyed the Qantas ads every 20 mins during the coverage of the opening ceremony. Really enhanced the national pride I thought. Even OH (who's an Aussie) was grumbling about the ads during it.
Qantas should be putting money into more important things (like fixing their planes) instead of running ads every 20 min.

Mikey
Old Aug 12th 2008, 6:47 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody

#I still call Australia, I still call Australia, I still call Australia 51% home#
Old Aug 12th 2008, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bcworld
#I still call Australia, I still call Australia, I still call Australia 51% home#
Haha! *Sigh* why oh why did I marry an Aussie?
Old Aug 12th 2008, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

svinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Mikeyc;6671092]
Originally Posted by rabsody

Qantas should be putting money into more important things (like fixing their planes) instead of running ads every 20 min.

Mikey
Hopefully they get there planes sorted for October, i am heading back and don't fancy falling out of the sky!!!!

Suzanne
Old Aug 12th 2008, 7:10 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Mikey
Dont forget the sycronised swimmeroos!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.