Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

News out of nothing - Herald Sun

News out of nothing - Herald Sun

Old Jan 23rd 2013, 11:47 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News out of nothing - Herald Sun

Originally Posted by Zen10
Brits are insecure about Americans.
They are ? Not something I have ever noticed, in what way ?
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 12:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Agreed, total nonsense, a total non story. It is sad that sections of the Aussie media find they almost need to take pot shots at the UK, it shows incredible insecurity. I see very very little about Australia in the media here and it is usually very positive.
I disagree with this. In my years in the UK I saw plenty of media potshots at Aussies. I also saw Aussies having overreactions to them, just like I see Brits do here. One generalisation is not fixed by another.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 12:42 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
I disagree with this. In my years in the UK I saw plenty of media potshots at Aussies. I also saw Aussies having overreactions to them, just like I see Brits do here. One generalisation is not fixed by another.
Well all I can say is by and large, almost overwhelmingly stories about Australia in the media here are positive.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Well all I can say is by and large, almost overwhelmingly stories about Australia in the media here are positive.
I saw plenty of potshots...the trick I think is to realise both countries have a##holes and not respond to one generalisation with your own. It never fixes things....hard to do always specially for the more nationalistic amongst us.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 1:41 pm
Banned

I saw plenty of potshots...the trick I think is to realise both countries have a##holes and not respond to one generalisation with your own. It never fixes things....hard to do always specially for the more nationalistic amongst us.
I have noticed a tendency with you to be very defensive but thats OK
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 7:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I have noticed a tendency with you to be very defensive but thats OK
As an argument I'm not sure that characterising the calling out of natural human bias in two countries as defensiveness and one country as astuteness to suit is a convincing one...probably best to stick to the debate...
Old Jan 24th 2013, 4:53 am
Banned

As an argument I'm not sure that characterising the calling out of natural human bias in two countries as defensiveness and one country as astuteness to suit is a convincing one...probably best to stick to the debate...
I was just referring to your posts generally not necessarily this thread in particular, you're an Aussie so I would expect bias and sensitivity, its fine
Old Jan 24th 2013, 6:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I was just referring to your posts generally not necessarily this thread in particular, you're an Aussie so I would expect bias and sensitivity, its fine
Shame to spoil a reasonable debate with a personal comment like that Chris. It does you no justice specially at your age.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 7:40 am
Banned

Shame to spoil a reasonable debate with a personal comment like that Chris. It does you no justice specially at your age.
Im not sure what my age possibly has anything to do with it. You are biased as am I, something I openly admit.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 7:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Im not sure what my age possibly has anything to do with it. You are biased as am I, something I openly admit.
Chris I have no interest in analysing your character or discussing mine with you. You turned a reasonable debate about ideas into personal comments for reasons only known to you. I have no interest in talking to you on this level and any more comments that I feel are personal I will report.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 7:50 am
Banned

Whatever you think is best.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 8:24 am
Forum Regular

big_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud ofbig_matt has much to be proud of

I'm not sure about potshots etc but what I do know is that the Herald Sun is possibly the worst excuse for a 'newspaper' I've ever seen. The sport section seems like it was written by a 14 year old. In general, the newspapers in Oz are really poor.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 11:13 am
Banned

Originally Posted by big_matt
I'm not sure about potshots etc but what I do know is that the Herald Sun is possibly the worst excuse for a 'newspaper' I've ever seen. The sport section seems like it was written by a 14 year old. In general, the newspapers in Oz are really poor.
I read the Herald Sun a few times then the Courier Mail then basically gave up on them.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 4:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

woohoo - you talk about bias!!

Fish does tend to come to the defence of Australia, but always from a rather more intellectually robust and strong argument which any like-minded person would appreciate. Unlike you, Chris at times.

Is this a final admission that most of your posts over the years are down to some ridiculous bias and that all these posts you submit claiming to redress the balance are in fact just silly?

I would say once again you're as bad as everyone else, as the Sun newspaper is as bad as the Herald Sun.

(Although as we all know, at least the Sun is slightly amusing - it really is a niche paper - although people who buy it as their only paper are never seen to laugh when reading it).

Originally Posted by big_matt
That's because they are tabloid papers targeted at particular demographics.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 4:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

They are because British people are a bit brainwashed into thinking it's an Anglo paradise which much of the home country missed out on. Possibly. It seems so at times. There is the occasional shot.