Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

News out of nothing - Herald Sun

News out of nothing - Herald Sun

Old Jan 21st 2013, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: News out of nothing - Herald Sun

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Based on the op's description, this would be appalling reporting, tabloid news at its worse, and even by Australian standards low.

Even with the advent of Australia Day it's poor. Even a joke about cricket might be in order.

I can't even open a tabloid paper these days.
Funnily enough, when we did our citizenship pledge last Australia day the govt/council people were queuing up to congratulate us afterwards and the first guy in line said to me all smug, "well you won't have to bat for England in the cricket now" Wiped the smile off his face when i said I wouldnt anyway cos I was scottish. Then he repeated his line to my hubby behind me who said I'm scottish, and cricket is rubbish. I think he stopped using that line after that...
Old Jan 21st 2013, 8:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
Not really surprised by this. The Brits think they know everything about Australia and study is unnecessary.
I'm a Brit and got every answer correct . . . but then after 52 years in Oz I should
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ebo1608
Possibly.

But, we got an average of one wrong answer like all the other top leading nations. How is that worthy of vilification? It's an excellent score.
Vilification, rather than fluff piece?

"It is interesting that applicants from the UK, and particularly New Zealand, perform less well than those from similarly developed and wealthy countries," Prof Sendziuk said.

"It is possible that they do not study enough because they feel that they can rely on their background knowledge of Australia, which is a fair-enough assessment given the level of cultural exchange that already exists between Australia and these places.

"It is also possible that they take the test a bit lightly - knowing that they are likely to achieve a pass mark even without much study."

Your beat up of the story is far worse than the story...you should work in newspapers
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 3:33 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/nat...-1226557717264

Herald Sun makes a big thing out of average Brit getting one wrong answer in citizenship test.

I couldn't help commenting (not published). We must be getting close to some big day.

I suppose it's better than the British dead of the Gallipoli campaign being ignored. Never mind those nasty British generals that were just interested in getting Australians killed.

They probably have a point about the Kiwis.
Yes how awful they only averaged 95%, being journalists they probably dont know that it means 95 out of 100. Unfortunately these sad little jabs at the British are all too common and quite frankly pathetic. The average Brit scored around 3% less than the highest scoring country, wow.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 7:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously, Australians don't do to well on this test, which undermines the cultural advantage theory? I don't subscribe to the built-in advantage of being a Brit - load of nonsense! We're talking about a test of 20 questions. A good memory will suffice, irrespective of nationality.

The real story is about Aussie performance relative to migrants, not the "poor" performance of Brits and Kiwis. BTW, I understand they got the Kiwi number wrong.

Yes, it was a fluff piece. But, what was the motivation? Let's have a laugh at the Brits' expense, even though the evidence is not there.

You must be Australian! I bet you know the second verse of the national anthem.

Originally Posted by fish.01
Vilification, rather than fluff piece?

"It is interesting that applicants from the UK, and particularly New Zealand, perform less well than those from similarly developed and wealthy countries," Prof Sendziuk said.

"It is possible that they do not study enough because they feel that they can rely on their background knowledge of Australia, which is a fair-enough assessment given the level of cultural exchange that already exists between Australia and these places.

"It is also possible that they take the test a bit lightly - knowing that they are likely to achieve a pass mark even without much study."

Your beat up of the story is far worse than the story...you should work in newspapers
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 8:29 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

It has a second verse? Why?
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 8:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

The test is more a check to make sure you are literate and have a good vocabulary, and some knowledge of what a democracy means. If you don't have good English skills then it is far harder to answer.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it was a fluff piece. But, what was the motivation? Let's have a laugh at the Brits' expense, even though the evidence is not there.
If the motivation was ridicule would they really have printed a line saying the difference was "fair enough" ? The journalist controls the quotes printed.

Real hatchet jobs are sometimes done on Brits in Aussie papers and Aussies in British papers. I would suggest a@@hole journalists exist everywhere and I have observed people who only notice it one way often end up becoming part of the problem when they retaliate with their own tripe (not you) worthy of one of the trash columns...Aussies and Brits alike.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 9:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat020 has a reputation beyond repute

If the motivation was ridicule would they really have printed a line saying the difference was "fair enough" ?
That was one academic saying that, not the journalist. But, I still don't agree with the cultural relevance - rubbish! The academic must be desperate to get in the paper to be associated with this story.

Pathetic article with pathetic statements.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

That was one academic saying that, not the journalist. But, I still don't agree with the cultural relevance - rubbish! The academic must be desperate to get in the paper to be associated with this story.

Pathetic article with pathetic statements.
Yes, it is standard practice to look for an angle on a story and then get a quote from an "expert" to substantiate your angle. Given the quote was not malicious the motivation wasn't either as the journalist chooses the expert and the quotes. Sure the article was fluff and possibly wrong in its conclusions but hardly malicious...it has nothing on the actually malicious stories printed in British and Australian papers.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 2:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I've just read the article, and actually all it is saying is that Kiwis and Britons score lower. The only point being that maybe they should score higher - but don't - (and of course, why should they?)

We can read that the exam clearly rewards people who have mugged up on salient points of popular Australian History, and not just those with Anglo ties, or from English speaking backgrounds. And people applying for the test get some help as to what comes up in the 'paper'.

I take back what I said. It's just light journalism, not awful journalism; no big deal. I was under the impression that this article was some sort of crass finger pointing 'Aha!'. I don't think it is. So now we will have to rely on a cricket joke.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 2:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it is standard practice to look for an angle on a story and then get a quote from an "expert" to substantiate your angle. Given the quote was not malicious the motivation wasn't either as the journalist chooses the expert and the quotes. Sure the article was fluff and possibly wrong in its conclusions but hardly malicious...it has nothing on the actually malicious stories printed in British and Australian papers.
Agreed - it's just a factual article. Anything, it's just assuming that Anglo people should do well in tests - which undermines the work of other migrants. I did think that even a tabloid paper would not try such a stunt. Leave it to the cricket.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 3:16 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

The test consists of 20 questions drawn from a total pool of about 300-400. some require knowledge of fairly esoteric subjects (e.g. the Torres Strait Islander flag which has only existed since 1992 - who knows what it looks like, let alone what the black lines represent?). So an average of 95% means that on average a group of people got one question wrong - not a bad average in my opinion.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 8:07 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously, Australians don't do to well on this test, which undermines the cultural advantage theory? I don't subscribe to the built-in advantage of being a Brit - load of nonsense! We're talking about a test of 20 questions. A good memory will suffice, irrespective of nationality.

The real story is about Aussie performance relative to migrants, not the "poor" performance of Brits and Kiwis. BTW, I understand they got the Kiwi number wrong.

Agreed, total nonsense, a total non story. It is sad that sections of the Aussie media find they almost need to take pot shots at the UK, it shows incredible insecurity. I see very very little about Australia in the media here and it is usually very positive.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 9:39 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Agreed, total nonsense, a total non story. It is sad that sections of the Aussie media find they almost need to take pot shots at the UK, it shows incredible insecurity. I see very very little about Australia in the media here and it is usually very positive.
It's only natural though, given their history. The way Australians are insecure about Brits is the same way Brits are insecure about Americans.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.