Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

News from NSW - Sydney

News from NSW - Sydney

Old May 3rd 2002, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough
Default News from NSW - Sydney

Hi All, been living near Sydney for 5 weeks now (from the UK) and just thought I'd share this with everyone. As from 20th May driving license holders from european countries and the UK (there are other countries on the list but can't remember), don't have to take a road test anymore (yipee!). But you do have to take the computer based knowledge test. You can see the questions and answers on the RTA website www.rta.nsw.gov.au. you get asked 45 questions from the 300 on the website. My husband has just passed his knowledge test and will go and get his Aussie license on the 21st may! I'm doing mine in the next couple of weeks. Well so far its been great living here, there is so much to do here and the 'rose tinted glasses' haven't cracked yet, so good luck to you all with your visa's, I know how hard it is waiting for it!

bye for now

Mandy
Old May 3rd 2002, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

Lisa B is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: News from NSW - Sydney

Hi Mandy

Glad to hear you're still having a good time in NSW - and thanks for that info about the driving tests. That's something I was not looking forward to - I'm sure it was a fluke that I passed my test here in the UK, so wouldn't fancy doing that again!

You replied to an email of mine a while back and your info was great - just wondered if you've got any other ideas about good suburbs for families (not too far away from Syndey, but not too expensive - if that's poss!) Are you far away from beaches in Cherrybrook? And how are your children settling in - hope they like their schools.

Take care - keep up with the updates!

Lisa B
X
Old May 3rd 2002, 6:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

rday will become famous soon enough

thanks for the update
tell us abit about things u do days/eves/weekends regularly that you wouldnt do in uk (even sitting in the garden with a bottle of wine watching the kids play)
thanks for the updates
rday
Old May 4th 2002, 12:30 am
Jaj

>On 3 May 2002 13:30:02 GMT, Mandy Bale <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi All, been living near Sydney for 5 weeks now (from the UK) and just thought I'd
    >share this with everyone. As from 20th May driving license holders from european
    >countries and the UK (there are other countries on the list but can't remember),

The list is: Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece,
Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden,
Switzerland, UK, USA.

According to the RTA website, this is part of a national scheme. We know that QLD and
VIC have changed their policies recently (and WA didn't require practical tests in
many cases anyway) so it looks like the other states and territories will follow suit
soon if they haven't already done so.

New Zealand licences are already treated more or less the same as Australian
interstate ones.

The requirement to get a NSW licence within 3 months of taking up residence in NSW
(for Australian citzens and permanent residents) is unchanged (and I think if you
don't you must then do a practical test). Licences that are expired more than 5 years
ago don't qualify for a practical test exemption, and the RTA does apparently reserve
the right to ask for a practical test in particular cases.

In NSW an overseas licence will not be destroyed on issue of a NSW licence, but will
be invalidated for use in Australia. That is a far better option that having it
surrendered. I'm not sure what other states and territories do, but it is worth
asking if they can do this.

>don't have to take a road test anymore (yipee!). But you do have to take the
    >computer based knowledge test. You can see the questions and answers on the RTA
    >website www.rta.nsw.gov.au. you get asked 45 questions from the 300 on the website.
    >My husband has just passed his knowledge test

Since January 2002 the knowledge test costs A$30 or so for each attempt in NSW.

You can practise online at: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/ddkt.htm

Jeremy

Old May 4th 2002, 12:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandy Bale will become famous soon enough

Hi Lisa B, after speaking to loads of people here and having experineced the suburbs I do think the 'Hills District' is a great place for families and the schools are great, I may be biased though and it does depend on your own preferences, but we did fall in love with this area when we first saw it 18months ago when we were out here on holiday, and I remember thinking- yes it will be great living here- only problem is it is very expensive here, you can get the occasional bargain and again it depends what you are looking for. The property does get cheaper the further out north/west you go and just a 10 min drive up the road from here its $50 - $100k less for a similar property, but not the transport facilities for the city but still great schools, you just get what you pay for I guess. It is about a half hour drive to Manly beach from here and I am yet to check out the other beaches (going to Palm beach tomorrow).
Mandy