Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Newport and Yarraville, Melbourne

Newport and Yarraville, Melbourne

Old Aug 27th 2007, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

M_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really nice
Default Newport and Yarraville, Melbourne

We've moving to Melbourne in 4 weeks and I've now got a job out west in Altona.

We're looking at Newport and Yarraville as possible places to live. Any info about what they're like etc. really appreciated.
Old Aug 27th 2007, 9:39 pm
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newport and Yarraville, Melbourne

Originally Posted by M_and_J
We've moving to Melbourne in 4 weeks and I've now got a job out west in Altona.

We're looking at Newport and Yarraville as possible places to live. Any info about what they're like etc. really appreciated.
Both areas are sound although there are good and bad bits to everywhere, so don't commit to a long term place before you actually have seen the places. Yarraville, for instance, borders Footscray which has a bad reputation (perhaps worse a few years ago though). Both areas are easy commute to CBD and to Altona, while you have Williamstown on your doorstep.

The west of Melbourne has an unnecessarily bad reputation, but those areas are really ok, and if you're working in Altona anyway, then they are certainly areas I'd be looking at living.

btw, a commute to Altona would be about a 10-15 minute drive.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Altona itself is quite nice too- sort of quietly so!
House prices near the water can be scary though.

I like Yarraville and Seddon, but as Shakmaty says, some are a bit too close to Footscray. Personally I would avoid the Geelong Road area as there is heaps of traffic passing through constantly.

I like Newport, but am biased cos we live there. Close to the city, water, Williamstown (for quaintness) good transport links, downside is close to refinery, and heavy industry.
Old Aug 28th 2007, 11:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with what has been said by my learned colleagues there on the ground!

I'll probably get a row from someone but BritVics is a good site for information on Melbourne.

Some links and some of my pics (you'll guess where I recommend!):

http://www.travelvictoria.com.au/williamstown/photos/

http://williamstowninfo.com.au/

http://www.hobsons.vic.gov.au/

http://z7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/...showtopic=4027

http://z7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/...pic=2321&st=0&

Enjoy!

OzTennis
Old Aug 28th 2007, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

M_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really niceM_and_J is just really nice

Thanks for the info and pics guys.

We were looking at Williamstown but then someone said it was really quiet during the week and then flooded with tourists at the weekend which made us think maybe not. But the area does look lovely and we would love to be near the sea.

What are the shops, bars, cafes and restaurants like?
Old Aug 28th 2007, 5:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info and pics guys.

We were looking at Williamstown but then someone said it was really quiet during the week and then flooded with tourists at the weekend which made us think maybe not. But the area does look lovely and we would love to be near the sea.

What are the shops, bars, cafes and restaurants like?
Excellent bars, cafes and restaurants. Nelson Place literally has 30 or 40 of them in a few hundred yards.

Shopping - pretty good for most things; not far to Altona Gate (3 storey indoor shopping mall) or slightly further afield to Highpoint (one of Melbourne's bigger complexes). You are only 20 mins to the city for more shoppingg, more bars, cafes and restaurants.

I must be showing my age but quieter during the week is a plus for me! The bars, cafes and restaurants of Nelson Place (and Ferguson St) are all open all week.

OzTennis
Old Aug 28th 2007, 5:33 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Excellent bars, cafes and restaurants. Nelson Place literally has 30 or 40 of them in a few hundred yards.

Shopping - pretty good for most things; not far to Altona Gate (3 storey indoor shopping mall) or slightly further afield to Highpoint (one of Melbourne's bigger complexes). You are only 20 mins to the city for more shoppingg, more bars, cafes and restaurants.

I must be showing my age but quieter during the week is a plus for me! The bars, cafes and restaurants of Nelson Place (and Ferguson St) are all open all week.

OzTennis
Oooh that sounds pretty good.

Don't worry we're not noisy neighbours looking for a rave every night! But we do like to go for a drink in the evening during the week. The impression we got from the guy who said it was quiet was that all the bars and cafes shut in the evening during the week. Glad to hear that's not the case!

So are you living in Williamstown at the moment or are you planning to go back there in the near future?
Old Aug 28th 2007, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oooh that sounds pretty good.

Don't worry we're not noisy neighbours looking for a rave every night! But we do like to go for a drink in the evening during the week. The impression we got from the guy who said it was quiet was that all the bars and cafes shut in the evening during the week. Glad to hear that's not the case!

So are you living in Williamstown at the moment or are you planning to go back there in the near future?
No, there are plenty of bars and cafes open 7 nights a week.

I come from Williamstown, my wife is Scottish (met her in W'town), we live in Scotland now, have a place in W'town on the waterfront, returning there some time in the future, no definite date.

OzTennis