Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Three Flights, Ping Pong Ping

Three Flights, Ping Pong Ping

Old Apr 1st 2015, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

blackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of light
Default Three Flights, Ping Pong Ping

The OH is going back to the UK on his own to sort out work and a house for us in the UK, probably around Nov/Dec this year. Depending on Citizenship dates.

I am staying here with all and sundry, carry on working, while he gets all sorted in the UK, probably 4 weeks in the UK. Now he will fly out of Brisbane into Heathrow, 3 or 4 week stay in the UK. Fly back to Brisbane, sort the stuff out here, say a three week stay in Bris, then fly back to Heathrow with us all in toe.

Its the only stress free way we can do it, I cannot sort jack out terrible sorter outer me.

Any ideas on what best way to book his flights. I thought one way in Ozzy dollars from Bris. Then a return from the UK in pounds sterling? All with Singapore Airlines. Is there any three way deals. Its just I think we are looking at a one way of say $1500 bucks and a return of say 1000 pounds. A lot of cash.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

Rhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Three Flights, Ping Pong Ping

It would depend on the dates, of course; once you get past the first week or so of December, the fares rocket.

I think that you are broadly correct in your reasoning - my past experience has been that round trip flights originating in the UK have been cheaper that r/t from Australia...not sure about one-way though. Do you possibly have any frequent flier miles that can cover the one-way, as you don't generally get penalised for one-way when booking flights using miles? Just a thought.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

I booked a 1 way flight from NZ last July to the UK, then because I knew I was coming to Brisbane and returning to the UK 6 months later I booked a return from the UK once I was there (it was so much cheaper than return flights the other way round).
Old Apr 1st 2015, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

blackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of lightblackcab is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rhubarb65
It would depend on the dates, of course; once you get past the first week or so of December, the fares rocket.

I think that you are broadly correct in your reasoning - my past experience has been that round trip flights originating in the UK have been cheaper that r/t from Australia...not sure about one-way though. Do you possibly have any frequent flier miles that can cover the one-way, as you don't generally get penalised for one-way when booking flights using miles? Just a thought.
Thanks, yep we are hoping to be out of Brisbane by the end of November, but that black cloud will be a hovering me tinks.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cappuccino
I booked a 1 way flight from NZ last July to the UK, then because I knew I was coming to Brisbane and returning to the UK 6 months later I booked a return from the UK once I was there (it was so much cheaper than return flights the other way round).
Exactly my way of thinking,
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 11:36 pm
Loves Australia

AceofSpades is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by blackcab
The OH is going back to the UK on his own to sort out work and a house for us in the UK, probably around Nov/Dec this year. Depending on Citizenship dates.

I am staying here with all and sundry, carry on working, while he gets all sorted in the UK, probably 4 weeks in the UK. Now he will fly out of Brisbane into Heathrow, 3 or 4 week stay in the UK. Fly back to Brisbane, sort the stuff out here, say a three week stay in Bris, then fly back to Heathrow with us all in toe.

Its the only stress free way we can do it, I cannot sort jack out terrible sorter outer me.

Any ideas on what best way to book his flights. I thought one way in Ozzy dollars from Bris. Then a return from the UK in pounds sterling? All with Singapore Airlines. Is there any three way deals. Its just I think we are looking at a one way of say $1500 bucks and a return of say 1000 pounds. A lot of cash.
Booking the return leg in £ can seem like the best option although sometimes it can be cheaper to book a round flight than two separate tickets as you get a discount on the return one.
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 2:19 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Air miles are the best way to sort out any 1-way issues. My parents do 1-way travel each year (cruising in the other direction) so my air miles keep getting burned up on such redemptions...

Other than that you can look at cheap alternatives for one of the trips. Scoot is quite cheap when travelling in one direction so at least you can connect to SIN cheaply and then look at additional segments from there (especially if you only have enough miles for LHR-SIN or vice versa).
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 9:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AceofSpades
Booking the return leg in £ can seem like the best option although sometimes it can be cheaper to book a round flight than two separate tickets as you get a discount on the return one.
The OP is going back to the UK at the end of the year so the flight from Heathrow would be on the first half of a return ticket.

I've done it that way for several years now, much cheaper than using an Aus based ticket.
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The OP is going back to the UK at the end of the year so the flight from Heathrow would be on the first half of a return ticket.

I've done it that way for several years now, much cheaper than using an Aus based ticket.
Thanks Polly. It's funny, talking of leaving but actually doing it might be a taj different. I forgotten how this hot humid, wet, mosquito ridden redneck place has become home. Someday's I cannot imagine leaving.
Old Apr 3rd 2015, 1:03 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blackcab
I forgotten how this hot humid, wet, mosquito ridden redneck place has become home. Someday's I cannot imagine leaving.
Is this Brisbane?

I get the impression - just looking at people if not anything else - that Brisbane stands above the likes of Sydney when it comes to the "quality" of the local residents.

As for hot & humid, that is something that I somehow miss ever since I left Singapore after 6 years there (of course there are things that I miss much less - or not at all - but the climate is not one of them).