Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Newly Qualified Midwife - any advice

Newly Qualified Midwife - any advice

Old Mar 13th 2007, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Newly Qualified Midwife - any advice

Hi Guys,

I'm due to qualify this September and am wondering if anyone knows the position regarding job opportunities down under for 'newly qualified'. I did phone one agency who said that I would need at least one years experience before they would send my CV anywhere.

My hubby is in the Army and we are going down that route first, but if we don't get in that way, I'm hoping my midwifery will 'get us in'.

Any advice from anyone would be welcome .

Cheers,
Gillian x
Old Mar 14th 2007, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Newly Qualified Midwife - any advice

Originally Posted by Jilliebee
Hi Guys,

I'm due to qualify this September and am wondering if anyone knows the position regarding job opportunities down under for 'newly qualified'. I did phone one agency who said that I would need at least one years experience before they would send my CV anywhere.

My hubby is in the Army and we are going down that route first, but if we don't get in that way, I'm hoping my midwifery will 'get us in'.

Any advice from anyone would be welcome .

Cheers,
Gillian x
Hi Gillian, I'm a nurse so I'm not really sure about midwifes but if you post on the Nurses section there are a few midwifes on there and I'm sure they will point you in the right direction. Good luck.
Tracie
Old Mar 14th 2007, 5:19 pm
Chocolatemonstersmum

Hi Gillian
I am a newly qualified midwife (feb 07) and the family and i are going out to Australia in June, having landed a job with a hospital in Brisbane.

I am going out on the 457 visa but it enables me to start my career straight away in Aus without having to get the years experience required for the PR. As the prospects in UK are not too appealing either this is cetainly the best option for us.

If you contact the hospitals direct and enquire they are usually really helpful and can offer sponsorship, nomination to Immigration and other advice.

Keep positive, if you want to do it then go for it.

Good luck
Lynne

Old Mar 15th 2007, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

pailuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Newly Qualified Midwife - any advice

Originally Posted by Chocolatemonstersmum
Hi Gillian
I am a newly qualified midwife (feb 07) and the family and i are going out to Australia in June, having landed a job with a hospital in Brisbane.

I am going out on the 457 visa but it enables me to start my career straight away in Aus without having to get the years experience required for the PR. As the prospects in UK are not too appealing either this is cetainly the best option for us.

If you contact the hospitals direct and enquire they are usually really helpful and can offer sponsorship, nomination to Immigration and other advice.

Good luck
Lynne
I am doing my nurse training and was hoping to go out on me, but i heard you need 1 year experience. I notice that you qualified in feb07 are leaving in june, did you start appling while you were still training. Can i apply for my visa as soon as i qualified

did you apply for jobs while still training
Old Mar 15th 2007, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

pailuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Newly Qualified Midwife - any advice

Hi Gillian

Good luck
Lynne
I am doing my nurse training and was hoping to go out on me, but i heard you need 1 year experience. I notice that you qualified in feb07 are leaving in june, did you start appling while you were still training. Can i apply for my visa as soon as i qualified
Old Mar 15th 2007, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

scousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nicescousercarol is just really nice

Hi Gillian

Good luck
Lynne
Hi Lynne,
I am also a midwife, and I have been offered a job at the Wesley hospital in Brisbane. Is that the same one as you? I have not got a date yet, just filled out my 457 application, but can't wait!!!
Old Mar 16th 2007, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Jilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond reputeJilliebee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the reply Lynne,

Once my OH hears back from the Aussie Army we'll have more idea which way we want to go. I may contact the hospitals direct in any event to get the relevant info I may need.

Are you DE or dual trained - and do you think it makes a difference?

Cheers,
Gillian x
Old Mar 18th 2007, 5:05 pm
Chocolatemonstersmum

Smile Re: Newly Qualified Midwife - any advice

Originally Posted by scousercarol
Hi Lynne,
I am also a midwife, and I have been offered a job at the Wesley hospital in Brisbane. Is that the same one as you? I have not got a date yet, just filled out my 457 application, but can't wait!!!

Have a job at the Mater, although did turn down one at the Wesley.
When did you qualify are you newbie or having you doing it for a while?
The whole thing seems to be be a long slow process, roll on Aus!!

Old Mar 18th 2007, 5:09 pm
Chocolatemonstersmum

Originally Posted by Jilliebee
Thanks for the reply Lynne,

Once my OH hears back from the Aussie Army we'll have more idea which way we want to go. I may contact the hospitals direct in any event to get the relevant info I may need.

Are you DE or dual trained - and do you think it makes a difference?

Cheers,
Gillian x
Hi Gillian

I'm direct entry, i thought it may pose a problem but on the contrary. In fact most other states are running direct entry midwifery courses. I think the first ones qualify next year- They won't be as good as us!!!

The worse part about having a job is waiting for your english registration before you can start the registration in Aus.

Keep in touch with your progress
Regards

Lynne

Old Mar 18th 2007, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Will do. Thanks for the advice Lynne.

And congratulations to you on becoming a professional midwife!
Old Mar 18th 2007, 6:29 pm
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pailuk
It depends on which visa, you will need 12 months experience for the skilled independent (136) but sponsorship visas don't always need any post reg experience. Look on the DIAC website and familiarise yourself with the different types of visas that are on offer.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

midwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of lightmidwife2be is a glorious beacon of light

Hi all

I qualify as direct entry midwife in the next few weeks, I applied to a hospital in perth and have had more emails and feedback from the other side of the world than anywhere in the uk, how terrible is that?? There is reports that perth dont take direct entry but obviously this isnt the case.

I had an email this morning asking me to reply with suitable dates for a telephone interview!!! I am terrified and any info/advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. She also asked would i be requiring sponsorship and that this is often the quickest way to go about it - anybody with any experience of this path?

I'm married with 2 girls, 13 and 9 and we would be coming out on my qualification then my husband can look after the girls while we settle in hopefully!!