Reload this Page >

Newcomer looking to move to Australia

Newcomer looking to move to Australia

Old Jun 14th 2019, 7:05 am
Just Joined

lynx636 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Newcomer looking to move to Australia

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to move out to Australia in the next year or two and have been doing my research on what is required to get me there.

At this point I'm looking for some clarification on the costs of everything to see if I'm getting this right.
I didn't realise it was be so expensive just to get a visa application into the system.

So the VETASSESS...... I'm going in for the Electrician (Special Class) and all in I've worked out it'll cost $5480 or around £3000 at current rates.
Then to complete a visa application for my family (wife and 2 kids) we are looking at around £5000 (can't remember the figure in dollars)

So around £8000 just to get to the stage where I will have handed in an application.

Does this sound about right?

Thanks
Old Jun 14th 2019, 9:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Newcomer looking to move to Australia

Hi, welcome to BE. I've moved your thread to the main Australia forum as I think you'll get more response there.

Emigration is an expensive thing to do unfortunately, it costs tens of thousands for a family to move abroad usually, so sounds about right to me, but those in the know in Oz will be along to help you shortly.

Best of luck.
Old Jun 14th 2019, 10:48 am
Just Joined

lynx636 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa View Post
Hi, welcome to BE. I've moved your thread to the main Australia forum as I think you'll get more response there.

Emigration is an expensive thing to do unfortunately, it costs tens of thousands for a family to move abroad usually, so sounds about right to me, but those in the know in Oz will be along to help you shortly.

Best of luck.
Yeah I guessed it would be. Just wanted to make sure the prices I'm seeing are from the official government bodies and that I wont be getting ripped off by some sort of agency/company.

Thank you
Old Jun 14th 2019, 12:12 pm
Alone again, naturally

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynx636 View Post
Yeah I guessed it would be. Just wanted to make sure the prices I'm seeing are from the official government bodies and that I wont be getting ripped off by some sort of agency/company.

Thank you
VETASSES fees should be on their website.

Visa fees are on the government website - https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visa...es-and-charges Beware, they usually increase on July 1st.

You also need to factor in medicals, police checks, and possibly English tests if you need extra points.
Old Jun 14th 2019, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

When you factor in the cost of physically making the move, your estimates are seriously low. Remember that virtually everything has to be re-bought, down to the candlestick holders, unless you are going to fill a shipping container - itself a big expense. You also need to plan to have several months' income (preferably a year) in reserve to hold you over until you get stable employment.

Migrating is not cheap.
Old Jun 15th 2019, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Will just reiterate the point above. Visa costs are nowhere near the biggest expense. The biggest ones come after the move. As an electrician, you will also have some additional costs. Electricians are a licensed occupation in Oz, so you will need to obtain a state license. This varies a bit by state, but generally, you will need to work as a trade assistant - a bit like an apprentice for about a year. You will need to take some collage courses. These can be very expensive.
Old Jun 17th 2019, 11:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Immigration to Australia has become a business and an expensive one at that. Just ensure that the return is worthwhile. One thing in your favour initially being a falling Australian dollar. More likely to come with falling interest rates. Makes living here more expensive of course with so much imported.